Sign in with
Your question

Add new hard drive

Last response: in Storage
March 28, 2009 9:11:49 PM

I have 1 SATA drive installed already with AHCI,can I install a 2nd SATA drive and change it to a RAID 0+1 array without reinstalling windows,thanks

More about : add hard drive

March 28, 2009 9:15:37 PM

You need 4 drives for a RAID0+1 array, with 2 drives you can only choose for RAID0 (speed) or RAID1 (reliability). And no you have to backup your data and restore later, because creating a RAID array makes the previous data inaccessible on those drives.

Intel Matrix RAID might be able to do it, i never used it. But that only works if you got an Intel ICHxR (R = RAID support) chipset, like ICH9R or ICH10R. If you have such a chip, go read if it can do what you want. If not you're out of luck.
March 28, 2009 9:23:26 PM

I have a P5Q-E with the P45 chipset ICH10R,can I install the RAID drivers through windows and then add the new drive?
March 28, 2009 9:37:38 PM

For this to work, during RAID creation it needs to copy parts of disk1 to disk2. I'm not sure if Intel Storage Manager can do that. I highly advice you to make backups before you actually try anything; if you just setup a raid on the two drives, your data is gone (though still recoverable with tools).
!