Should I leave the MB faulty CPU temp and use TAT or Coretemp ?

mahanddeem

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
Hi
My question is : Is the temperature of the 2 cores detected by CoreTemp and other programs like TAT is dependable and accurate 100%?

I ask because my motherboard (Gigabyte 945P-S3 rev3.3) cpu temp sensor is reporting the the CPU temp is 10 degrees above the cores temp!! which is wrong...So should I depend on the core temp and leave the mainboard faulty sensor ? My CPU is E6420 core 2 duo 2.13GHz.....
Note:I use a program called "SIV.exe" reading the MB sensor for cpu temp....same reading as the BIOS..

And Thanks in advance...

CompuTronix

Intel Master
mahanddeem, sorry no one has answered your question. First, the answer is no. Second, there is no "motherboard sensor" for CPU temperature. Third, it is highly probable that your CPU temperature sensor is not faulty.

The CPU temperature sensor is an analog thermal diode which is integrated into a lower layer of the CPU package. The analog level is received by the super I/O chip on the motherboard, where the analog level is converted to a digital value, which is called Analog to Digital conversion, or A to D. BIOS then receives the digital value where it's calibrated using thermal tables which are CPU model specific.

If these "canned" BIOS tables are incorrectly coded (happens all too often) for your particular CPU model, then the CPU temperature can indicate below Ambient temperature, or above Core temperatures, both of which are obviously wrong. Although a BIOS flash may correct the problem, temperatures can still be calibrated more accurately.

Additionally, since maximum CPU temperature will be exceeded before maximum Core temperature is reached, maximum CPU temperature is always the limiting thermal specification. Further, CPU temperature is the only temperature that Intel supports on desktop processors, which is the Thermal Specification shown in Intel's Processor Spec Finder: http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA4T

If you want to know how to properly test, calibrate and monitor CPU and Core temperatures by using SpeedFan, then check out the Core 2 quad and Duo Temperature Guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

Hope this helps,

Comp :sol: