SPDIF output in 2ch only?

PHT

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
I built new computer on Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L and WIN XP PRO SP4.
I connect my computer to A/V processor by digital cable.
I got sound on two channels only. I download new drivers from Gigabyte and Realtek - no change. Two channels only. (Yes I did set output to 6 channels).
I changed to optical cable - the same.
I sent e-mail to Gigabyte:
"I have problem with audio. I set system do SPDIF output and I have audio over optical cable but two channels only.
When I go to Realtek setup and when I test audio output on six channels, only two front channels are working. I installed last audio driver - no change.
Is chip on MB defective?"
They answered by link to: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/FAQ_Model.aspx?FAQID=2636
"ALC889A audio codec does not support DTS decoding function.
The DTS multi channel function is provided through the playback program, when using playback program that supports DTS decoding function such as Power DVD to play DVD movies, S/PDIF speaker will automatically output multi channel audio properly."

There is ALC888 chipset on my MB not ALC889A but I tried again. I have two DVD players SATA and ATA. I have Power DVD v. 7. I tried several DD and DTS disk. The same. Two channels only!

Any advice what to do? I want just straight digital 5.1 output from computer to my A/V processor. No processing.

Thanks for any advice

boner

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
dude first of all there's not a SP4 for winxp second of all i have that motherboard and SPDIF output works great, i have windows vista ultimate and you just have to fix that joint in the control panel and if you can go to realtek's site then download their drivers and also you have to configure your A/V system!!!!

PHT

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
You’re right Boner, it is SP2. Sorry for mistyping.
Maybe this is the problem? What do you think?
I did it. Read again my post. I used newest drivers from Gigabyte, then from Realtek (actually the same) and no change. When I set to six speakers (in Realtek setup) I had left and right channels only. No dialog no SFE. When I switched to two channels I had full sound but stereo only.
[/quotemsg]and also you have to configure your A/V system!!!![/quotemsg]Don’t worry about this part. I am pro in A/V systems.
Maybe Vista in an answer. Thanks

PHT

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
Yamaha DSP A1
Yes. All DVDs I tested are with DD or DTS. Sound is perfect from DVD player, but not from PC.

PHT

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
I tried couple of options. I didn’t try Vista yet, so it may be an answer.
Gigabyte recommends Power DVD.

PHT

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
I tried Nero and WMV. The same result.
I tried digital and optical cables. Result is the same: two channels only.
When I play DD movie (PowerDVD v7) and set output to six speakers I don’t have sound from central speaker (no dialog) no LFE and no surround. I have left and right channels only. However when I switch to two channels I have full sound with dialog and bass but stereo only.
The same DVD played from DVD player over the same cable present full surround. From PC two channels only. Strange.

boner

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
and also you have to configure your A/V system!!!![/quotemsg]Don’t worry about this part. I am pro in A/V systems.
Maybe Vista in an answer. Thanks[/quotemsg]

well just to let you know.... the only time i get the DST on my AV system is when im watching a movie

dunnu444

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2008
One other note. Power DVD will NOT pass through as it uses it's own filter. AC3 will make DD and DTS work in Media Center and WMP and players that don't exclusively use there own codecs. I use Media Player Classic Home Cinema edition and Zoom Player myself.
VLC is another that won't work with it. I found the simplest solution for me that works for all sorts of files was to install the K-lite Codec Pack full version. It works for DVD, DTS wave files, Matroska movie files and TS streams.

mschmid4

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
Found this thread and had the exact same issue. AC3Filter was one problem, I had to use the SPDIF pass through options mentioned earlier. The second issue was in ffdshow, the config option is in the "FFDShow audio decoder configuration". Go to the OUTPUT tab, option at the top is "Pass-through (spdif, hdmi)", check both boxes for AC3 and DTS. My motherboard used Realtek and the 2 channel output was driving me crazy, so happy when this worked!

xynz

Distinguished
May 10, 2009

As I understand it, PowerDVD 7.3 has a hard time coping with the high bit rate of the DD5.1 stream.

After 4 frustrating hours, I was finally able to get DD5.1 through the spdif output on my Dell e1705 laptop, by turning the h/w acceleration on my SigmaTel sound card to the maximum.

I know that nobody has posted on this thread for three months, but just in case someone else googles this problem and winds up here: make sure that PowerDVD has all the support your system can give it.

sindbaad

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Hi, I need urgent help. I have nvidia 9500gt and mother board is intel dg13pr. I am not getting audio from hdmi port though video is perfect. I tried the hdmi-s/pdif cable but still no luck. I have tried getting audio via hdmi on my sony lcd and also tried the same on my denon avr with a hdmi port. but no luck. I upgraded my real teck audio drivers and also using the orginal vga driver. The local PC/Laptop support shop advised me to update motherboard bios and then check audio, the motherboard analog audio jacks are working fine.. can anyone help. My intentions are to play dts/ac3 mkv files using hdmi for audio/video both...