PALiT video cards

G

I have installed two pallit cards now, and my first thought with your question was - " well...it's going to be the cheapest 9600gt card out there, but it will work fine if you can put up with the fan sounding like a vacuum cleaner"
Then I followed the link - neat card, the reference 9600GT design uses an impeller type fan which is a little loud a low speeds (not hugely loud, but you know it is there). Pallit have ditched this and gone for an axial fan here, this should be much quieter at low speeds and the audio connector is a nice touch too.
Pallit make cheap, reliable no-frills cards - They seem to have made a cheap, reliable card here and added in a few 'frills' too, go for it. The only downside i can see is the two-slot cooler, the reference 9600GT is single slot.

Hi i have never owned one but have cross referanced plenty of reviews including them while researching differant cards.
They are always there or there abouts and i can remember a couple where they were as good if not better performers than the XFX and EVGA cards.
The reviewers pretty much summed thenm up like stuart72 did, Good affordable cards, the noise thing wasnt mentioned but i will take stuarts first hand experiance over a review any day.
Take the whole package into concideration when deciding. EVGA have the step up programe etc, havent a clue what the warranty from pallit is like though.
Mactronix

The warranty is apparently covered through the company you purhcase through and is around two years.
From Legit Reviews:
The only drawback on the card is that when it comes to the warranty on Palit video cards we had a tough time figuring out what they are backed with. The Palit RMA home page states that the original distributor will cover the warranty, but neither the site or the product box and packaging tell you anything about a warranty. Legit Reviews contacted Palit about the warranty and was told this about the warranty: "Currently 2 Years but looking at the numbers for 3 year with possible customer options to purchase more." It seems that Palit has a two year warranty of some sort that goes through where you purchase the card from. Palit certainly has a great product, but the warranty isn't as clear as either EVGA and XFX.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/666/16/

runswindows95

Distinguished
You know, I've been looking at that card as well as a future upgrade. It's the only 9600GT on Newegg with HDMI and dual DVI. Plus, the dual slot design is a bonus for me. Seems like a decent GPU.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
I was thinking exactly what runswindows95 said. I have never had a Palit video card but I have been keeping an eye on their reviews...and they look pretty good so far. I like the idea that they are not as well known as EVGA and XFX yet are going after them with high quality cards. It just looks like they plan to work hard to earn a good reputation. And come on...they have a frog decal that looks really PO on a yellow HS...forget about it! It reminds me of the Battle Toads days.

On the other hand, EVGA's setup program is hard to turn away from though...

tlmck

Distinguished

Thanks for that link. For some reason I missed it in my Google search. I just wish they had a newer test bed. The 965P boards are getting a little long in the tooth. My friend was thinking more along the lines of the newer AMD based MBs with 2.0 slots. Still a good comparative test though.

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Palit's been a manufacturer of graphics cards for many years, but for the most part they were OEMs that were relabled by other companies. Now they've finally decided to start selling what they're actually making. There was an article either on THG or Anandtech about Palit a few months back.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Yeah, they are like Foxconn...big OEM expanding their market like Chedrz said. I remember that article but forget where it came from.

Here we go:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/01/09/ces_2008_palit_the_biggest_graphics_mobo_company_you_ve_never_heard_of/

G

I have gone through two Palit cards in the past two years. Sure they are affordable and a good card for a little while, but the life span doesn't seem to be great. The first purchase was a 9500GT Super+1GB and the S-Video connection did not work. So, they sent me a 9600GT which was a nicer card. However, it only lasted me about a year and just stopped working. I don't overclock or abuse my cards in any way. I make sure to keep them on a static free pad when working and take the necessary precautions for working with the inside of my PC. So far I am greatly disappointed with this company.