Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Window XP schduler cannot copy file from workgroup pc to a domain server when co

Last response: in Windows XP
July 17, 2010 2:42:21 PM

Hello,
I have save some files in workgroup computer and these files need to be copy to a server which is join to domain. I have created a batch file and use window XP SP3 scheduler from a pc which is also is also join to the same domain as the server.
Running the batch file manually or scheduling it to run when login to the computer which is join to domain is working fine. But if the batch file is executed when the computer is log off, it fail to copy the file from the pc which is not join to the domain to the server which is join to the domain. I have mapped the directory which the files are reside. It is not possible that the map drive is disconnected if the computer is log off as it sucessfully copy the files into another directory within the computer which is not join to the domain and delete the files from it original directory.
I have also tested putting the scripts into a computer which is join to the domain and never log off but the same result.

Can you advice what is the possible cause of the failure in copying of the files?

Thank you.
July 19, 2010 4:25:01 PM

Ok, if i have read this correctly, you have a file, that you want to have run from the server on the computer which is connected to the server via the network. If you are not logged into the domain, with an account attached to the domain, you should not be able to run files in the domain on the server due to protection software built into the domains software. The entire idea of the domain, is to create a network in which only allowed accounts can access the information on the server. To my knowledge, you will not be able to run this file, unless you are logged into an account listed in the domains directory.
m
l
July 29, 2010 3:21:46 AM

Thank you. Got it.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

August 26, 2010 2:03:14 PM

Your reply is partially true and partialy wrong. Read this post:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/508-63-windows-home-d...

You may be able to access Domains and Domain Controllers using any kind of Windows: XP, Vista or 7, and also using their different types: home, prof or ultimate.
Indeed there are some comments or questions that needs to be fulfilled in order to answer your question.

However, you may copy such files using very basic scripts or batch files. Try to do this:

1) create your batch file (example.bat)
2) edit it and put this string:

net use h: \\server\share /user:D omain\username password /persistent:no
copy *YOURFILES* to h:\WHATEVER YOU WANT TO PUT. It will work.
net use h: /DELETE / YES

By doing this, you will "map" your drive inside corporate domain servers without having the mappings always turned on.

3) If you want to copy the files to a directory that it is not listed, try to create the same net use stuff, changing to this:

net use h: \\server\c$\FULLNEEDEDPATH /user:D omain\username password
copy *YOURFILES* to h:\WHATEVER YOU WANT TO PUT. It will work.
net use h: /DELETE / YES

Just for knowledge, I use myself two different notebooks: one is mine, the other is company ones. As I´m the IT Adm, mine is not part of the Domain, and I regularly use that one as my personal WKStation. It is a Windows 7 Home Premium and it works just fine. Keep in mind. Read this post and you will understand how it works. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/508-63-windows-home-d...

Anyway, as said by lazyperson17, "unless you are logged into an account listed in the domains directory" (and my personal comments) you will not get access while your 7 home username and password MATCHES the domain ones. Up today there is no blocking of it, UNLESS you EXPRESSIVELESLY configure your domain to not accept, which is not common and not a default configuration.

Hope this help.

Luis Closs
IT Administrator.
August 26, 2010 2:17:04 PM

ALSO, anyone can use this:

As I have a personal home 7 PC running inside corporate network as other employees, I have made this simple script. It is very usefull:

1) CREATE YOURSELF A LOGIN.BAT file, put it AS THE EXAMPLE on D:\temp, and edit it. Put the following:

@echo off
:start
cls

echo.
echo HI %USERNAME%,Where are you at this moment?
echo.
echo CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS:
echo.
echo [1] If you are at the OFFICE
echo [2] If you are at HOME
echo [3] IF YOU ARE NOWHERE ELSE
echo.
echo.
set /p userinp=%USERNAME% Pick and Choose a Number (1-3):
set userinp=%userinp:~0,1%
if "%userinp%"=="1" goto 1
if "%userinp%"=="2" goto 2
if "%userinp%"=="3" goto 3

goto start
:1
start d:\temp\loginoffice.bat
goto end
:2
start d:\temp\loginhome.bat
goto end
:3
goto end
etc.
:end

2) CREATE YOURSELF A LOGINOFFICE.BAT file, put it at the same place from the 1st one, and edit it. Put the following:

net time \\YOUROFFICESERVER /set /yes
REM This will set your PC actual time as your server!
net use m: "\\YOUROFFICESERVER\_SHARE1" /persistent:no
net use n: "\\YOUROFFICESERVER\_SHARE2" /persistent:no
net use o: "\\YOUROFFICESERVER\_SHARE3" /persistent:no
exit

3) CREATE YOURSELF A LOGINHOME.BAT file, put it at the same place from the 1st one, and edit it. Put the following:

net time \\YOURHOMESERVER /set /yes
REM This will set your PC actual time as your server!
net use m: "\\YOURHOMESERVER\_SHARE1" /persistent:no
net use n: "\\YOURHOMESERVER\_SHARE2" /persistent:no
net use o: "\\YOURHOMESERVER\_SHARE3" /persistent:no
exit

Some of co-workers, wife and kids use the same example with NO PROBLEMS at all. Please remember: in order to get it running, you may need on your home 7 PC same username and password on your corporate and home server. I use HOME and OFFICE Windows 2008 R2 with that same scripts and it works just fine.

Hope this help. It has helped a lot of other people here. I have used this solution in order to get "third party employees" with their computers running HOME OSs using and sharing our company stuff, including all features, such as printers, servers, internet connections and others.

Luis Closs
IT Administrator.
m
l
September 6, 2010 11:56:54 AM

Best answer selected by adcwt.
m
l
!