jay4eva

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
I was using 2GB DDR2 RAM. 2 weeks ago i got bought another 1GB ram and put that in the RAM slot but my computer only shows 2GB instead of 3GB. I tried clear CMOS. its still showing the same thing.

ABIT KN9S MOTHERBOARD

Did anyone had the same problem?

That was the problem i had before and i posted the above message and i was told i need 4RAM to get it work.

I bought a another 5300 1GB DDR2 now. my motherboard beeping, cpu seems running but monitor screen gone blank.

I tried resetting the bios. it never worked.

LikesMacsToo

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
Generally, if your MB is beeping at you it doesn't like something. Very likely the new stick is bad or is not compatible with what you already have. Assuming you purchased the same kind of ram and it sounds like you did I would try booting on just one stick at a time to locate the bad one.

Does this show in the bios or windows?

Try different slots. either way you are loosing dual channel mode(due to the memory controller in the cpu being made in such a way.). this can hinder performance.

Sometimes you need a little bump in memory voltage(Vdimm on some boards). Try 2 sticks bump the memory voltage a bit save then shut down and add the new sticks. See if it goes. I do NOT recommend adding more then 0.2 volts(2 volts total) to most ram if you are not sure what its made for.

Some more info will help allot. List your full system specs...including each sticks specs. You should try with the slowest sticks(lowest speed or CAS) in the first slots. Even try each stick to make sure they do in fact all work.

Also running memtest86(takes time but lets you test the sticks.) on each stick is a good idea

http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

It is also available with a pile of other stuff on the ultimate boot cd.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

jay4eva

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008

Well i got 5 1GB STICKS.

i tried the new one with other two its works fine. when i add the fourth one thats when the system start beeping.

Before i installed the ram today, i had 3 sticks inside my pc. added this one, it went find no beeping but it couldnt recoginze the RAM. it still shows 2GB. so i took the RAM out and reset the bios and put them back in.

then it start to beep. the cpu is running but bios not coming up and monitor is blank.

so i removed 1 RAM and left the other 3 Inside. now the system loads up fine but its still showing 2GB.

My system Spec:

AMD AM2 64 bit 4600+
512MB DDR3 DUAL Graphics card
250GB hard disk
Vista 64 bit ultimate

Look the the bios for a feature called memory remap. and if its on turn it off and if its off turn it on. See if this helps any. Getting into the long shots here.

on startup when it posts try to hit pause on the keyboard, this should stop it so you can try to find what bios rev you are running. Or use CPU-Z to check what bios rev you are running on the board.

jay4eva

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
well the problem right now is.. its doesnt let me install more than 3RAM stick. it starts beeping if i install 4. and the monitor goes blank, nothing comes up on the screen.