tetracore44

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
i need a new motherboard but can't decide what to buy. I will be overclocking but the v core will pose problems before the mobo does so it does not have to be 2000 mhz i guess. what is the best chipset for this p35 or x38 and which mobo is best from each category.

i need raid and pci e

i will get new ram for this too

rockit00

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I'd recommend AsRock 4core1600 series X38 Series X48 series. AsRock because if you pick the right hardware, they'll write a Bios to make it work. (AsRock/ASUS) Abit is next because of their GAT/PAT or whatever you want to call it, technology. MSI is next, but all memory is not compatible with their motherboards. If you pick the right memory, their boards are sweet. I've never had a Gigabyte YET, ASUS YET, just make sure your board "fully supports" the chip you buy!

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

Yeah... seriously! I see him selling it too. He even ignored the OP needing built in RAID controller. Shadow... I hope Gigabyte pays you for advertising. :lol:

kpo6969

Distinguished
May 6, 2007

I had the same question.

Good idea, I went with 800. Get better quality if you want to o'c more.

No comment

I knew practically nothing about mobo's until I started looking last week, and I even knew that.
DS3R I think has raid (not positive though).

Yes DS3R has RAID and a few more options. It'll be a good choice along with Abit IP35 and the Asus p5K series of mobo's. Get any one of those mobo's listed and you should be just fine. Just double check that the mobo has all of the options that you want and your set.

The DS3L doesn't have RAID support, so that won't work for the OP.

Sure wish they paid... lol. Didn't see the OP needing RAID. So in that case a DS3R? :lol: :kaola: or a PCI RAID controller? I usually recommend P35/X38 ASUS or Gigabyte

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

Agreed! Probably would go with DS3R if I were him. :bounce: