Cd dvd drive not working

G

Hello,
Recently the dvd/cd drives in my emaching and compac "disappeared." I followed the steps for recovering them but when I got to the "4D36E...10318" spot the only things I saw when I clicked on it were 9 listings: 0000, 0001 to 0008. No filters were listed. Can you help? I also bought a USB based external cd/dvd drive but the emaching doesn't recognize it. Any ideas?
7/17/2010
Joy

did you try this exact procedure?

left click start in the lower left hand of the screen
left click run
type regedit
left click OK
Now the registry editor will come up
double left click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
double left click on SYSTEM
double left click on CurrentControlSet
double left click on Control
double left click on Class
double left click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
look on the right side of the window for upper filters
right click on upper filters
left click delete
windows will then ask you to confirm deletion
click yes
look on the right side of the window for lower filters
if you do not see lower filters, you may be out of luck on this one.
right click on lower filters
left click on delete
windows will then ask to confirm deletion
click yes
Close all the windows that are open
restart the computer

If that did not work try this:

Restore does not erase your personal files and is reversible.
click start
click all programs
click accessories
click system tools
click system restore
check the box that says restore my computer to an earlier time, click next
select a bold date on the calendar, a date before the problem started, click next
follow through with the restore directions
restart the computer after it finishes
if the system restore does not work, select an even earlier bold date on the calendar and repeat the procedure
try this with at least four earlier dates before giving up and trying something else

If that did not work, and there has been no other avenue, you can try a repair install using the XP installation disk. back up all your files before doing a repair install. normally, repair does not erase the personal files, but just in case make sure your personal stuff is backed up.
Look at Tom's XP forum, fifth post from the top, for the directions.
When all else fails, a repair install usually does the trick.

Hello,
Recently the dvd/cd drives in my emaching and compac "disappeared." I followed the steps for recovering them but when I got to the "4D36E...10318" spot the only things I saw when I clicked on it were 9 listings: 0000, 0001 to 0008. No filters were listed. Can you help? I also bought a USB based external cd/dvd drive but the emaching doesn't recognize it. Any ideas?
7/17/2010
Joy

So basically the SATA and/or IDE controllers as well as the USB controllers have failed or you have a box full of bad CD/DVD drives? A repair install or format and reinstallation of the OS along with system drivers may bring back those controllers.