Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard overheating

Last response: in Motherboards
April 16, 2008 3:42:01 PM

K so, my motherboard is overheating badly, after leaving my computer on for 10min or so my motherboard is at 90C(without games etc running)! when i first boot up my temps are ok for a min or 2 and if i play a game FPS is good for first few mins aswell. then when my temps are way to high i get random short freezez with everything and like 10fps on games

whilst playing games ive actually had my computer turn its self off because my motherboard is over 100c

ive checked fans are all running and that

comp specs:
asus p5vd2-mx
pentium D 2.6ghz
1gb of corsair ddr2 ram
geforce 7600gt
April 16, 2008 4:54:33 PM

check your heatsinks and make sure they are seted correctly.
You say the fans are running. Does that include case fans? Is the air flow going in equal to the air flow going out? Too many fans can be just as bad as not enough.
April 16, 2008 5:12:25 PM

I am not sure what you mean by "motherboard temp" your monitoring program says northbridge chip at 100c? If not then its the system temp, im going to assume that is not correct as that is probably ambient temp in the case. Try taking the case cover off and getting a regular household big fan blowing directly in, see if that lowers it. If it does you need to add a fan to the north bridge.

I know the nvidia 680i boards run extremely hot with massive heatsinks and even a fan they recommend installing. But that board you mention barely has a large heatsink.

I am going to assume its the processor overheating. That sounds more like your symptoms.

You never mentioned what your other temps are at.
April 16, 2008 5:12:48 PM

I am not sure what you mean by "motherboard temp" your monitoring program says northbridge chip at 100c? If not then its the system temp, im going to assume that is not correct as that is probably ambient temp in the case. Try taking the case cover off and getting a regular household big fan blowing directly in, see if that lowers it. If it does you need to add a fan to the north bridge.

I know the nvidia 680i boards run extremely hot with massive heatsinks and even a fan they recommend installing. But that board you mention barely has a large heatsink.

I am going to assume its the processor overheating. That sounds more like your symptoms.

You never mentioned what your other temps are at.
!