Sign in with
Your question

Installed 2 new case fans and now PC take 5 min to boot up. Help!

Last response: in Components
March 23, 2008 8:50:11 AM

My Specs:
Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz
EVGA 8800GT Superclocked (Core 700, Mem 975)
2GB Corssair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4-4-4-12 2.1v)
700w OCZ GamerXStream PSU
EVGA 680i Mobo
320GB Hard drive 16MB cache 7200RPM
Windows XP

My load times have always been pretty long using XP with my setup and is almost up to a minute or more from power on, but my load light was always working and doing something and I just got use to it. I just installed two small spot fans and as soon as I powered on my boot times have gone from a minute or so now to about 6 minutes. Windows will even load without icons, windows bar, or anything but sits there looking at my desk top background for about 3 minute or so and sits idle. Then after the 3 minutes of idle my load light starts working like crazy and everything comes on. Keep in mind its not a lock up because I can still move my mouse as soon as I enter into windows, just no icons or features. Also, no problems or conflicts in device manager.

I tried unplugging the fans and restarting my computer and that didn't work and it still takes extra long. I then installed all new divers for everything including BIOS, CMOS, MOBO, GPU, and Sound Card. Still the same thing. What the heck is going on? There's no way I can be short of power. I have one of the best PSU's. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
March 23, 2008 2:52:00 PM

Sounds like you need a complete format to be honest. Long windows startup times shouldn't be a problem with your posted rig, so backup everything that you want to keep onto an external hard drive, dvd-rws, or whatever takes your fancy, and wipe it clean.
March 23, 2008 7:56:36 PM

Yeah im running a more or less equivilent system and XP boots in only a few seconds, im running Vista Ultimate 64 and it never boots in more than 30 seconds.
Related resources
March 23, 2008 8:56:05 PM

I am starting to think that too. Darn, I just did it not too long ago. What about just re-installing windows first and keeping everything on the hard drive? Since the day I first built this computer and installed fresh XP on it, it has always had a long start up time of about 50 seconds to a minute. I asked around to people with similar systems that have XP and one guy said his takes a while too. Now my roommate has the exact computer specs I do, but has Vista. His start up time only takes about 15 seconds if that.
March 23, 2008 11:51:26 PM

Sounds like a bad install, it happens, a lot.
March 24, 2008 12:05:13 AM

The_Blood_Raven said:
Yeah im running a more or less equivilent system and XP boots in only a few seconds, im running Vista Ultimate 64 and it never boots in more than 30 seconds.

So you have XP and a similar system to mine and it only takes a few seconds to boot for you? Whats the secret? Mine has always taken about a minute even from the first day I built this computer.
May 23, 2008 2:41:25 PM

Is your hdd running at sata1 or 2 in post? If it says 1, remove jumper. When you went in to change the fans, something else got tweaked. The reverse midas touch, Im afraid.
May 23, 2008 3:04:35 PM

it sounds like psu issue to me, extral two fans casued xp load time become noticeable longer. what kinds cd driver you have in your pc? do not connect cd driver and hard driver on the same cable( IDE only)
May 24, 2008 2:54:23 AM

DiscoDuck said:
Is your hdd running at sata1 or 2 in post? If it says 1, remove jumper. When you went in to change the fans, something else got tweaked. The reverse midas touch, Im afraid.

So I did a brand new install so that last issue was resolved. But you bring up a new an interesting idea. From the first day I build this computer it has always taken about 2 minutes to boot. So yes I do have my hd in the #1 SATA position. I did remove the jumper and still its the same. We are talking about the small piece of plastic that fits over the 2 out of 4 bars? This is also located on the hd and next to the SATA plug? Let me know if I did it right.
!