Quick help needed, new 3870 fan rattling noise?

windie

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2007
HI, just got a HIS 3870 ICEQ 3 card. I have noticed the fan on this makes rattling sound. Its not that much noticible when its on slow speed, but around 40-65% fan speed you can hear it more. Also there are some tiny squeeky sounds that come from it like its loose. Now i am putting my ear next to the card, with the case closed im sure i cant hear that, but is the rattling sound normal? I think these type of fans do make such sound.

I appreciate quick responses, as if indeed somethign is wrong with the fan, then i should return it right away as i just bought it. tahnks

xxaimpiratexx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Ive heard of people getting the HD3870's with slightly noisy fans...due to the fan clipping the side of the edge of the card cover. Some people's fans have completely failed after a week-a month. If i were you, I'd RMA it just to be safe.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I would remove the card and spin it with your finger to see if it was rubbing. Consider what you might do to stop it from rubbing, short of voiding your warranty, RMAing is such a pain in the butt, especially when it isn't necessary.

windie

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2007
sigh, already have another card being returned for warranty. I did spin the card with my finger, there was nothing at all rubbing with it (no clipping of sides and free from all wires). Its totally clear. And Spinning from the finger seems smooth. It doesnt seem that much noticble with the case doors closed now (except higher speeds). And i guess during gaming when it does get high the game sounds drown out everything.

I guess these fans are like that.

windie

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2007
oh great, just great. Whenever the card is under load, makes a high pitched sound, which not related to the fan. How the hell can it make such a sound. grrrr

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I got two ICEQ x1950PRO cards recently, one turbo one w/ more RAM. Maybe the fan floats and rubs, if you can't fix it RMA. Things made in china have a higher failure rate, and they (HIS in this case) have to absorb that.

windie

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2007
yeah i did notice that the fan has some sort of springs on it, i mean it can go up and down. But what it rubs against i dont know. Maybe something internally as nothing i can see outside.

Do u get high pitched sounds when on load?