XP printing issue

vsilly

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Hello folks, I have an issue with printing from Windows XP that has been driving me a little crazy. I am printing shipping labels from eBay to a Dymo LabelWriter 450. Every time I print a label a dialog box pops up asking if I want to allow the applet to access the printer, with a dialog box to check if I want it to remember this setting. I always check the box and I always say yes.
Then I get a second dialog box asking me to select my printer with another checkbox asking if I want this to permanently be the correct printer. I always check this box as well. However every time I print both these dialog boxes continue to come up and I have to check them every single time I print a label.
Has anyone else ever experienced this and is there anything I can do to get the browser and windows XP to remember my printer settings and bypass these dialogs?
TIA For any assistance...

vsilly

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Thanks for your reply. The Dymo printer is the default printer and the only installed printer. The problem occurs when printing from web browsers. I do not see any settings in the printer software that would affect this issue... I do not use the printer software, I only print from within a web browser using eBay or Paypal shipping to this Dymo 450.

The issue is that the Windows dialogs ask me if I want Windows to remember the settings, I check yes, but the settings never get remembered. I have to reset the printer for every label I print, which is often 30 labels a day... obviously this is not how it is supposed to be working.

I wonder if it is a printer driver issue or a bug or...?

vsilly

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
It is some kind of bug, Windows it asks if it should remember the settings each time, I say yes, but the settings are not retained and it asks again the next time.
It is not working the way it is designed to.
I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this bug and if there is any work-around....
Thanks

Did you install the program in the default folder?
The program may set, but fails to update an .ini file that would have held your preferences.
A search of the install folder(s) for .ini files should be performed and any found should be analyzed for content that may provide clues if that file is the one that fails to get updated.
The file attributes should also be checked for possible "read-only" and if found, uncheck the read-only.
Ini files can be opened in Notepad.

Just something more that can go wrong.