petar

Distinguished
May 16, 2004
Hello,

I would like to know what's difference between memory modules such as

Aeneon
Buffalo
OCZ

when all of them are declared as DDR2 800 5-5-5-15. Is there any differences between them when the specs are all the same. How about PCBs? Anyone knows whose PCBs are used?

When DDR 1 was actual, the differences between e.g. kingston and ocz at stock settings and values were irelevant. However when OCZ was compared with some noname memory whose settings were 3-3-3-8 it was obvious why OCZ costs more, but settings were different !

Now with DDR2 - things are bit different - even low cost memory has same specs as OCZ, Kingston, etc..... so what's the difference ?

I am interested how this low cost Buffalo, Adata, Aeneon performs against OCZ on stock settings ...

Anyone has a clue ???

Thx

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
If they all have the same timings, probably very little. However, OCZ will likely be more compatible with the most motherboards. OCZ will have better support after the sale and obviously a better overclocker depending on the model. Even their base model stuff is decent quality. If I were going with the cheap basic ram I still stick with corsair and OCZ. OCZ has great tech support if you ever do have an issue they take good care of their customers. OCZ also hand test all their better ram. Most bargain companies only test a few per batch.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Memory compatibility has a lot to do with motherboard chipset. 650i, for example, is very picky with ram, while x38 will take just about anything.