New Build high temps- Help needed

carquote

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
I recently built the rig in my sig and am having some problems with high temps. I am getting some pretty high temps on my 780i MCP. I know this is not unique to my motherboard, however my idle temps seem to be one of the highest I have seen. At idle right now I am at 82c on my MCP. I am normally in the high seventies, but it seems like as the room temperature increases all of my temps are going up substantially. My 8800GTS 512 is at 48c idle and 2 seagate 7200.11's are at 34c. All of these temps are several degrees higher than when the room is a few degrees cooler. My case, a Coolermaster RC-690 is not in an enclosed cabinet and should be providing adequate ventilation with the 3 stock fans. I have the front and side intake and the rear exhaust fans hooked up to the motherboard but the BIOS dynamic fan control does not seem to be controlling them. I set them to manual 100%, but they do not sound any louder so I don't think they are moving any faster. Is my only option to buy a fan controller?

I know there is a mod for the 780i where the stock NB cooler is replaced with a 60mm fan, often a 60x25mm, but I am not sure if a larger fan will fit with my huge Tuniq Tower. I also don't know if I would have to remove the motherboard and Tuniq Tower, which I would really hate to do, to replace the fan. I am also considering adding more fans to the case, but I don't think another fan will fit in the upper left door or rear top due to the Tuniq. I might be able to fit one in the top front if it was thin enough not to interfere with the Tuniq. Does anyone know if I would be able to fit fans into any of these spots? There is also a spot on the right side that blows onto the bottom of the motherboard, but I don't know how much this would do to help. Any and all input is appreciated.

EDIT: I have gone into RivaTuner and applied the launcher that I set up for 60% fan and the gpu temps have dropped to 48c. I need to find out how to get this speed at startup. Also today the room temps are much cooler and my MCP is at 70c and gpu at 45c and hard drives at 31c. Seems like I might also need to improve my airflow. Anyone know about fitting more fans into my case with the Tuniq

bob8701

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
just wait a minutes, what program you use to monitor the cpu temp?
try core temp. If it still report the high idle temp, the cpu heatsink may not installed correct.
and by check your video card and hd temp, the case is fine.

carquote

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
No, my cpu is 34c at idle according to speedfan. It's my MCP which is the 780i southbridge I believe that has the issue. I don't know if this is giving off so much heat that it is causing my other components to be a little hotter than normal.

bob8701

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
sorry to misunderstand your question, I just search the information about MCP. It seems run hotter than intel SB, try reapply thermal compound may help little, but the active cooling is only way to go.

carquote

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
I am considering replacing the TIM, but since I have never removed TIM before I am a little concerned. It will also be a major pain to have to remove my motherboard and Tuniq to do this. Can I just use a coffee filter and some rubbing alcohol to remove the TIM? As far as the active cooling, I am using the stock NB cooler, and wouldn't mind replacing with a 60mm as many others are doing but I don't know if one will fit with the Tuniq. I guess I will have to find someone with a similar setup to see if it will work.

TRENDING THREADS