Sign in with
Your question

Asus Radeon 3870 X2 1gb problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 6, 2008 12:07:23 PM

I have just bought an Asus Radeon 3870 X2 1gb and am having problems running any 3D Mark benchmarks. Every time I disable the Catalyst A.I setting my computer would run it fine however I am getting a low score of 12990 when my computer performed better on the same system with a Geforce 8800 GTX and got in the 14000. However when I enable the Catalyst A.I to either standard or advanced I get higher frame rates but everytime it reaches the second test ( the firefly test ) my whole computer would just crash and restart. Why does this happen? and also Im hearing small buzzing noises around my graphics card. dont know if it is my card or something else on the computer but Ive never heard it before until I installed this video card.
I am running:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.5ghz
Gigabyte X38 DQ6 Motherboard
4gb G.skill ram
2x 500gb Seagate hdd in Raid 0
Asus Radeon 3870 X2 1gb
Creative X-FI Platinum Sound Card
Gigabyte 800 watt PSU
March 19, 2008 3:02:36 PM

Ati cards really don't like it when the processor is overclocked.....that's what it is....Don't really know if it's a driver issue or not.....leave everything at your stock setting and do it again and you will see what I'm talking about....
March 19, 2008 3:48:27 PM

yeah ATI cards dont like it when the processor is overclocked. All those guys running 3dmarks with overclocked computers and ATI cards (world record holders) are just hax and fakes it.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 19, 2008 5:48:24 PM

FHDelux said:
yeah ATI cards dont like it when the processor is overclocked. All those guys running 3dmarks with overclocked computers and ATI cards (world record holders) are just hax and fakes it.

lol. Yea I doubt its the CPU being OC'ed. I run my HD2900Pro 1GB with my Q6600 OC'ed to 3GHz 24/7 and it seems happy as can be. Infact I got over 12K in 3DMark06.

To tell you the truth OP, sounds like you have a bad GPU. Buzzing noise, and crashing when the AI is enabled and lower than normal scores would normally point toward a bad card. I would RMA it and get another one.
Anonymous
March 19, 2008 6:10:10 PM

Are you running 8.3 CCC ?
If so it can have a problem with 3dmarks and world in conflict and company of heroes.

Try 8.2 or 8.1
March 19, 2008 7:06:52 PM

jackieboy said:
Ati cards really don't like it when the processor is overclocked.....that's what it is....Don't really know if it's a driver issue or not.....leave everything at your stock setting and do it again and you will see what I'm talking about....

Says the person with the 8800. :non: 

To the OP, try 3.4ghz and see if that corrects the problem. If you have Windows XP, make sure you are running 8.2. 8.3 causes lower frame rates in XP.
March 20, 2008 2:47:59 PM

8.3 has been messing up 3d mark 06 runs... maybe that could be the issue? though if it's making wierd noises, etc, i'd RMA it sharpish: that could be the tip of the iceberg.
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 21, 2008 2:42:40 PM

amd_fanboi said:
8.3 has been messing up 3d mark 06 runs... maybe that could be the issue? though if it's making wierd noises, etc, i'd RMA it sharpish: that could be the tip of the iceberg.

Thats only in XP and some games. Us Vista users saw a nice increase in performance, especially in Crysis so yay :D . I agree though that it seems like its just a bad card. RMA and get a new one.
March 26, 2008 12:50:10 PM

hi there guys,
thanks for all your input. I have returned the video card back to the shop i bought it from and they replaced it with a new card. The buzzing noise has disappeared however it still suffers from the same sickness as the last card I had. Whenever Catalyst A.I is enabled, whether it be on standard or advanced, and I run 3D Mark 06 my computer will crash and reboot itself. I have made sure that I have enough cooling for the card and it runs at 50 degrees idle to 60 degrees when running 3D Mark. I have both 6 & 8pin connectors plugged in and have a gigabyte 800 watt PSU running on windows vista ultimate 64bit edition with 4gb ram. I know this is a good decent card but I have run out of ideas why it does this?! Is it a driver issue, or a card issue or something else?Please help?
March 26, 2008 12:55:22 PM

also, does anyone think it would be wise to buy a normal Radeon 3870 512mb and crossfire X it with the 3870 X2 to provide triple crossfire X and will that solve the problem? any ideas at all would be appreciated!
March 26, 2008 1:00:57 PM

Ok, I have the Sapphire version of the card and I've never had an issue, and my system is overclocked (CPU and Video).

I use Rivatuner to monitor the card on my 2nd monitor while I'm running benchies, and I can see when the clocks get ramped up, GPU load, as well as fan speed and temp. I mention this because you might be able to use this to troubleshoot the problem.

What version of 3dmark are you using? Is it 1.1, and is it pro? Does it detect the card correctly?

Does your system crash while running any other demanding 3d apps/games?

I'm running a very similar system to yours, but on 32 bit Vista without issues.

Yes you can add a 3870 512 for 3-way Xfire. It's been done alot.

March 27, 2008 3:10:51 PM

im using 3dmark 06 pro/advanced version 1.10 and it detects the card fine except it doesnt display the clock frequencies like vga mem+ core, mx core +clock. i ran crysis on 1280x720 with all high settings and 2x AA with catalyst A.I on advanced and it worked fine. didnt crash at all. although when i play call of duty 4 and i have the catalyst A.I enabled it would crash and restart my system... its a bit weird!
March 27, 2008 3:56:57 PM

You must use catalyst A.I. enabled if you want both GPUs to work. If there a strange noise coming from it, you may have a problem with the fan. In fact your crashes my due to a heat issue. I know my Asus 3870x2 fan was stuck at 25%, so during gaming and benchmark tests it would get pretty hot. However you can use rivatuner to up the fan speed manually (will get louder, but will also stay much cooler at 40-45%). To get rivatuner to work with the 3870x2 just google 3870x2 + rivatuner and you will get some guides. It's pretty easy, a simple change to a config file. Oh and don't expect much of a difference from 8800GTX to a 3870x2 in a lot of stuff, especially COD4 which doesn't like crossfire all that much.
March 27, 2008 10:46:14 PM

I'm at a loss I guess. I've never had to mess with the CCC A.I. It's just worked with all drivers I've had so far.

Maybe it's a Vista 64 bug?

I know that with my card over clocked I had to have the fan at 40% to keep the 3dmark tests from crashing and the dreadful reboot. I was doing some tests earlier this week, and with resolution @1920x1200 and the o.c. settings on my GPU, the 3dmark06 (looped 4 times) benchmark would cause the PC to reboot. My temps were 88+ at that point. Upping the fan to 70% cured that problem, but I wouldn't be able to stand the noise at that level.

I'm using Riva Tuner, and the newest version didn't require me to do anything in order to monitor and adjust the fan speed.
March 27, 2008 11:40:02 PM

theres already a hotfix for the 8.3's guys.
March 28, 2008 12:51:08 AM

Yes there is. I tried it (my games were running fine though) and got 0% difference. Crysis had really bad artifacts with the early 8.4 drivers. I went back to 8.3 and all is well :) 
March 28, 2008 2:56:51 AM

jackieboy said:

FHDelux said:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
March 28, 2008 8:54:11 AM

I'm running Vista 32 bit with 8.3 drivers and I can run 3DMark 06 with and without Catalyst A.I. enabled. I usually get 9400 or so, but I'm CPU limited. We'll see where it goes when I get a Phenom 9850 in April. My card's very quiet too, so I wonder if you have a bad fan?

March 28, 2008 10:56:28 AM

i just ran 3DMark 06 again with the graphics card fan running at 100% and i managed to run it a bit longer up to the start of the Canyon Flight test (one with the big dragon looking thing). it used to shut down at the firefly test but now it shutsdown at the canyon flight test. my card was running at 45-50 degrees on max load so i dont think its overheating. i made sure it had plenty of cooling and plus the room temperature was around 17-20 degrees. im still puzzled why it shutsdown. something is not working as its suppose to
March 28, 2008 11:26:28 AM

My card will run well up to 88 degrees, so I don't think it's the temp. How hot is your CPU getting during the benchmarks?
March 28, 2008 3:39:39 PM

hi firebird.. my cpu runs at 32 idle and 40-45 max load and this is at overclocked settings @ 3.70ghz for my E6850. i have a Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme with 2 120mm fans installed on the heatsink (push & pull) as my cpu cooling device. i also have sufficient case cooling consisting of 2 120mm intake fans, 1 120mm top exhaust fan & 1 120mm rear exhaust fan on my Antec P182 case.

ive also tried the benchmark on stock cpu,memory,graphics card clocks and it somehow shutsdown sooner. I doubt that my cpu is bottlenecking my video card, if so i also doubt it will cause my whole computer to shutdown.
March 28, 2008 5:02:05 PM

Are you able to play any demanding games? I can't believe your problem is with 3dmark and nothing else.

Right now I'm leaning toward drivers or power supply issues. I'm anti-Gigabyte, but they seem to be pretty popular, so maybe I'm just nuts.

At this point I think you need a doner PC to swap parts with to narrow the issue down more.
March 28, 2008 6:17:37 PM

Mine it does run fine Diamond ATI HD 3870 X2
Still waiting for the Phenom X4 3.0 GHz
March 28, 2008 6:26:42 PM

It sounds like you have a bad GPU i would try an RMA. I have a pair of 3870s in crossfire and never hear any buzzing noise. At first i thought PSU but once i saw you probably have the same PSU i have i knew that wasnt it. I had an old PSU that buzzed and click all through 3Dmark06.

Yea ATI cards dont like the CPU OC'd , previous setup; PD920 @4,0Ghz x1900xt 688core,792mem. Stupid people shouldn't post.
March 28, 2008 11:20:10 PM

hushbrown said:
hi there guys,
thanks for all your input. I have returned the video card back to the shop i bought it from and they replaced it with a new card. The buzzing noise has disappeared however it still suffers from the same sickness as the last card I had. Whenever Catalyst A.I is enabled, whether it be on standard or advanced, and I run 3D Mark 06 my computer will crash and reboot itself. I have made sure that I have enough cooling for the card and it runs at 50 degrees idle to 60 degrees when running 3D Mark. I have both 6 & 8pin connectors plugged in and have a gigabyte 800 watt PSU running on windows vista ultimate 64bit edition with 4gb ram. I know this is a good decent card but I have run out of ideas why it does this?! Is it a driver issue, or a card issue or something else?Please help?

Many peeps are missing the part where he says he's replaced the card, buzzing noise is gone, but problem persists.

I'm a little upset now. I just ran a 3dmark because I re-installed drivers the other day. System either locked or re-booted about 6 times. I reset the O.C. on the vid card back to stock, but problem persisted. I backed the CPU down to 3.6, and memory down, but problem persists. I then upped the CPU voltage but am weary and just want to use the PC.

I BLAME HUSBROWN! HE'S CURSED ME!

March 29, 2008 2:55:50 AM

firebird said:
Many peeps are missing the part where he says he's replaced the card, buzzing noise is gone, but problem persists.

I'm a little upset now. I just ran a 3dmark because I re-installed drivers the other day. System either locked or re-booted about 6 times. I reset the O.C. on the vid card back to stock, but problem persisted. I backed the CPU down to 3.6, and memory down, but problem persists. I then upped the CPU voltage but am weary and just want to use the PC.

I BLAME HUSBROWN! HE'S CURSED ME!

LoL..firebird.. whatever curse i do have i dont want it! i just want to run my benchmarks and games without any problems. i find it really annoying that i cant target the on going problem this thing is having!

Ive been playing crysis at many different res but mainly 1280x720 on all high settings with 2xAA, 16 AF, catalyst A.I ENABLED and its been running fine..im not having any problems. Its just the stupid 3DMark & COD4 that keeps restarting with the Catalyst A.I enabled! have both of them got some graphics setting that my video card or computer doesnt like. had a geforce 8800 GTX previously and everything ran well, its just that card ran very hot and didnt play crysis as well as this 3870 X2 does. and also im pretty sure my Gigabyte 800watt PSU is sufficient enough to run my system and even add in another 3870 512mb for 3 way crossfire x.
March 30, 2008 11:54:33 PM

I am having the same problems with my Visiontek 3870 X2 and 8.3 Catalyst drivers. I RMA'd it and they sent it back saying that they benchmarked it and it functioned normally. Personally I don't think they could find their own ass with two hands and a flashlight. But I do hear a buzzing when the GPU is active. I also saw that GPU-Z reports that they are not CF and show up as two seperate 3870s. Another thing is that one GPU shows its default as 411MHZ and the other shows it as 825MHZ.
http://picasaweb.google.com/licious/AMDATI/photo#5183686768775962946
http://picasaweb.google.com/licious/AMDATI/photo#5183686768775962962
March 31, 2008 1:41:28 AM

pecty, for GPU-Z to show them as crossfire YOU MUST HAVE CATALYST A.I. ENABLED, and after you enable it you must restart the system. I had the same problem and thought something was wrong with my card since I was getting ~10k 3dmark 06 score (about same as my 8800gts 320), but then I turned on catalyst A.I. and gpu-z reported crossfire enabled and my 3dmark score went up 2.5k points.

Don't worry about the clocks that gpu-z shows BTW. They're always off, and the card does lower its clock when idle to save power.
March 31, 2008 1:51:55 AM

I know it clocks down to save power and heat, but I just thought it was odd that one GPU showed 825MHz and the default and the other showed 411MHz as the default (shows it for the memory clocks also). I have Cat A.I. set on advanced but it still shows them as not being CF enabled. Follow the two links in my other post, they are screen caps of GPU-Z for each of the GPUs listed.
March 31, 2008 3:05:26 AM

hi pecty... mine shows the same on gpu-z but ive had 2 Asus Radeon 3870 X2 cards and theyre pretty much the same. gpuz isnt always right, i was really worried at first as well but i have a program from Asus that shows me my cards specifications and everything (Asus Smartdoctor) and it shows my graphics card details fine. Even though the 3870 X2 is crossfire on one card, GPU-z only detects it as one graphics card cause there isnt a second physical card attached on your motherboard with the CF interconnect bridge.

the problem with my situation is that everytime i have Catalyst A.I enabled whether it be on standard or advanced, 3Dmark 06 and COD4 will always shutdown on me and reset and i have no idea why.
March 31, 2008 3:19:48 AM

odd, I thought it would have picked up some sort of CF, its 2 GPUs on one PCB with a PLX chip to interconnect that is running PCIe 1.1
The thing that is bugging me is that one GPU always stays at 411MHz and the other clocks up and down, from 411MHz to 825MHz. MSI said "it is stable" well of course its stable, there is one GPU running, the other one is running at clocks speeds that rival a radeon 9800.
March 31, 2008 4:11:06 PM

I have found that the Overdrive application in the CCC is the only tool that shows both cores correctly. They are both running like they are supposed to, and can be controlled independently.
March 31, 2008 9:02:47 PM

I know its weird, and the thing is, GPU-Z show the rails powering up and down correctly, from like 5-8 amps to like 28-29 amps or whatever its supposed to be, maybe I am just paranoid.
March 31, 2008 10:32:50 PM

Don't worry about gpu-z it doesn't work right with the x2. My clocks report the same on it, except that after I enable catalyst A.I. to standard and restarted it finally reported "ATI Crossfire: Enabled (2 GPUs)".

To get an accurate reflection of clocks use ATI Overdrive tool (I had to use 6-pin to 8-pin adapter) or rivatuner (need to manually change a config file).
April 1, 2008 7:11:06 PM

amd overdrive is showing the right clocks, GPU-Z still shows crossfire disabled, but I am losing faith (quickly) in that program. My PC Power and Cooling 610 watt has an 8-6 pin and a 6 pin.
!