hdjunkie

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Ok, to make a long story short: I'm trying to re-install two 320gb disks that were used in raid 0 on an xps 420. They were running vista a few months ago when I switched them for a single 300gb velociraptor.
I need to reinstall these because they contain a working activated install of my cablecard tuners, as my activation key is no longer working.
Can I just put them back in, and tell the bios that they're raid 0 w/o effecting any of the data?

It is possible, but with a few conditions;
- the drives have not been changed in anyway (formatted, changes to the MBR, etc) since they were removed
- the drives are being installed in the exact same system with the exact same RAID controller and in the same SATA ports as they were removed from
- the BIOS setting are changed back to be exactly what they were before they were removed
- there have been no significant hardware changes to the overall system since they were removed

If these conditions are met, then chances are high that the data and array can be be recovered.

hdjunkie

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Ok, the drives were working perfectly when they were removed and haven't been touched since. The system is the same, but additional hard drives have been added. I could restore the bios settings to factory since I hadn't made any changes prior to setting up the raid.
The problem is, I don't remember which sata ports the drives were in. Even if I knew the two that were being used, how would I know which of the two goes in slot "a", and "b"?