Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Turned on my pc and get the message that OS is missing.
Any ideas .I 've checked all the leads on HDD but its not that.
Thanks.

Did you leave a floppy in the drive by mistake?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"jon" <fionnkool@eircom.net> wrote in message
> Turned on my pc and get the message that OS is missing.
> Any ideas .I 've checked all the leads on HDD but its not that.
> Thanks.

"Operating System Not Found" or "Missing operating system"
error message when you start your Windows XP-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321626

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"jon" wrote:

| Turned on my pc and get the message that OS is missing.
| Any ideas .I 've checked all the leads on HDD but its not that.
| Thanks.

CD drive? Both are possibilities. Otherwise, is the hard drive properly
detected in the system BIOS?

--

> no floppy!

Malke

jon wrote:

> no floppy!

Then troubleshoot this way, making only one change at a time and testing
after each change:

1. See if the hard drive is being seen in the BIOS. If it is not then
2. Swap out the ribbon cable going to the motherboard with a
known-working one. Reseat the power supply connector going to the
drive.
3. If #2 doesn't work, attach the drive to a different IDE connector on
the motherboard (assuming IDE). If the drive appears, you know the
first IDE connector on the motherboard doesn't work and you need a new
motherboard.
4. If #3 doesn't work, attach the drive in another, working computer. Is
the drive seen there? If not, the connector on the drive is broken and
the drive will need to be replaced.
5. If the drive is seen in the BIOS but no operating system is found,
test the drive with a diagnostic utility from the drive mftr.'s
website. You will make a bootable cd or floppy with the file you
download. Boot with it and do a thorough test. If there are any
failures, replace the drive.
6. If the drive is seen in the BIOS and tests healthy, then something
has happened to the operating system that was installed on it. What
changed between the time things worked and the time they didn't?

Start with that and let us know if you need more help.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com