DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER after chaging drive

OskarHe

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
On my HP Pavilion.
In original, one 500Gb SATA.
Now, one 500Gb (original) + one 250Gb (added). After having problem, I decided to reinstall WinXP. So in WinXP installation CD I partitioned both drives (250 Gb divided for 2 pcs 125, One for XP (c:) and one for Ubuntu(invisible from XP)) and the 500Gb in one partition, for data storage only.
System works fine (both XP and Ubuntu), but I think I have problem with the data storage drive (formerly original system disk, now e:). When trying to change this one I get startup error message (DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER).
I have tried to change priority in the BIOS, and also to change the SATA cables between the drives. Have also tried to remove failed disk without replaceing. Same problem. My guess is that somewhere in the boot sequense, the computer needs to read some information, that I have stored on the disk that I want to change.
Please, I need help to solve this problem. Anyone have some suggestions?

Yes, if you installed Windows on a different drive, and had the original drive with Windows on it attached to the PC, Windows will still be trying to use the old boot record from the old installation. You can start over, but do not hook up the second drive until you are done with the OS install.