The Photographically Enhanced Self Help Thread (PESHT)

ajsellaroli

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Hey Everyone. So, I'm here, right in middle of my first build ever, as you can see:

IMG_3721.jpg

That picture was taken about 10 minutes ago. So I start off fine, I install the CPU (it's a C2D e2180), and the heatsink, cool right? yah so far. Then I go ahead and screw the PSU (It's an Antec Earthwatts 430w) into my Antec 900 case. Still, so far so good.

IMG_3723.jpg

Then I start to run into the questions. First of all, where in the world do I plug these things in:

IMG_3739.jpg

I have a feeling it's somewhere around HERE:

IMG_3727.jpg

I just don't know where. And then I get to THESE THINGS:

IMG_3729.jpg

I know the top one is a little hard to read, it says HD AUDIO. Where in the world do I plug these into? Now, I know I can probably do all this once the motherboard is installed, but that's where I have another problem. I don't know which screw goes where. And I've got a pile of them:

IMG_3730.jpg

See what I mean? I'll number them so you can easily refer to them.

#1 Well, there are THESE ONES: (there are 4 of them total):

IMG_3732.jpg

#2 Then there are THESE ONES (there are 12 of them total):

IMG_3733.jpg

#3 Then there are THESE ONES (there are 24 of them total):

IMG_3734.jpg

#4 Then there are THESE washers (there are 8 of them total):

IMG_3735.jpg

#5 Then there are THESE (2 of them total):

IMG_3737.jpg

#6 Then there are THESE (8 of them total):

IMG_3738.jpg

I guess the last two won't show up because I've posted too many pictures. That's alright. I know I'm asking an aweful lot of questions, but I hope the images help. It's way easier than trying to explain to you what I mean.

TY in advance

nukchebi0

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
The screws are mostly extras, or for your video card/optical drives.

The motherboard should have a manual that tells you where on the motherboard each of the things you pictured belongs. You found the right location, just make sure you put each where it says. Ntice also how there is a + and -. These need to be aligned with the positive and negative sides of the connectors in your hand. The side with the arrow is usually positive.

HamRadio

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
#1 screws to attach end of a PCI card to the case.

#6 screws for mounting HDD

#4 paper washers for mounting mobo to insulate mobo from standoffs. i think the consensus is if the motherboard has a big round silver "o" around the hole, then it wants direct contact with the standoff (spacer) to ground the mobo to the case, and if there is no silver "o" around the hole, use the spacer.

#2 screws are for use with the standoffs (spacers) to attach mobo to case.

Read this guide, it is multiple pages, my link is for the page about motherboards but read them all:
DIY computer build

asgallant

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
First of all, you need to get the motherboard installed in the case. There should be some spacers that came with the case (they are hex shaped, about 1/4 inch long with a screw on one end and a socket to receive another screw on the other end, they may be pre-installed in the case). Line up the motherboard in the case so that the back panel fits in the appropriate place and locate the holes in the motherboard - they should line up with holes in the tray beneath. Screw spacers into the tray everywhere the holes line up, and make sure there are no spacers that do not line up with holes in the motherboard (there are seven mounting points on your MB that I can see). Position the MB on the tray, lining it up over the spacers, and screw the MB in place (probably using the screws from pic #2 in your post - just make sure they fit properly). You want the board secured tightly to the case; it should have no "wiggle room".

Once you have the MB installed in the case, you can begin connecting wires and such. The manual for the MB has diagrams for the placement of each cable. The HDD/reset/power cables do indeed plug in where you think they do - look in the manual for specifics. The USB cable plugs into one of the pin sets with a yellow background labeled USB1/2/3 (it doesn't matter which you use). The 1394 cable is for the FireWire port, but I don't think the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L has a FireWire controller, so you won't be plugging that one in anywhere. Either the HD_Audio or AC97 cable gets plugged into the pins labled F_AUDIO, which are behind the audio ports on the back panel, right above the topmost PCI express slot (I don't know where the other one would go, I've never seen a case that came with both - check the case manual to see if it explains the difference between them).

Well, hopefully that helped and didn't just serve to make things more confusing.

Evan the Terrible

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
I shudder to see someone working on a computer on a carpet. It is an unnecessary static electricity risk. I hope you just laid it out there to photograph it... It'll probly be okay but why risk it?

Evan

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I shuddered as well.

ajsellaroli, Put the gun down.

First, get that thing off the carpet. Do it in the kitchen, or at least on a table.

Second, read the manual from front to back. All of the questions about the connections are in there in great detail, including pictures.

colonelblake

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007

I saw that too.....or use a antistatic wrist strap.....or keep one hand on unpainted steel.

ajsellaroli

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
UUHHHH.......Nooo, Of CoURse I wasn't building my computer on the carpet..Who would be so foolish? I mean....*shoves parts onto the kitchen floor*

Seriously though, thanks for the advice..I didn't know that about carpet. I did make sure to ground myself constantly though, and before I touched anything important.

Hey, All of your comments were great, I understand alot more now. Does anybody know what those long screws are for though? Oh, and do those washers go on top of the motherboard, or beneath the motherboard? I mean, do they go between the standoff and the mobo or the screw and the mobo?

And what are the two #5 screws for?

HamRadio

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Both. didnt you read the link in my first note?

This is taken directly from the page I linked to:
Metalized holes are meant to be directly screwed. So, on these holes go ahead and place a screw on them. But the non-metalized holes you cannot screw them directly. You need to place a cardboard washer between them and the screws. Actually, two washers are needed per hole, one between the nut and the motherboard and another between the motherboard and the screw, like a sandwich where the motherboard is the stuffing.

And here is the link again:

CLICK ME

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Dang dude, what camera did you use to take those pictures? Your focus is very nice. Long screw...hmmmm...could be for HDD if you use a smaller HDD. I have the same case as you, the gigabyte uses HD Audio, but in my experience, it didnt matter (use HD Audio anyway).

The #5 might involve the drive cages once again, or perhaps for mounting a fan, I might have used them for that purpose, not sure though.

#8 can either be used to fasten cards in, or screw into the mobo standoffs. I'm pretty sure those are standoff screws though, the hexagonal ones work better for holding those nifty gfx cards or w/e else you have in there in place.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
That mobo doesn't use the washers, save them. Ignore any screws that you don't know what they fit. Everything uses short screws, that I can think of off the top of my head. Do not drive a long screw into the HD or you will damage it. I have no idea why they gave you 24 long screws. The mobo may come with screws to mount it. Be sure that the pins on the heatsink are firmly seated, check the back of the mobo. Make sure that all 9 of the brass standoffs are in the case, one for each mounting hole on the mobo.

Evan the Terrible

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
The long screws are for mounting 3.5" drives in 5.25" bays. In my antec 900 case (at least) you need to screw in from outside of the 5" bay. They are just long enough to reach the 3.5" drive.

Evan

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

Like HamRadio said, Long screws go with the standoff.

Washers go between standoff and motherboard. At least that's how I'd do it. logic behind it, You have visual at the top but don't see if your board is getting scratch or touching something underneath.

And what are the two #5 screws for?
Two long screw I believe is for a fan, but could be for something ealse.
If your motherboard is in the case and ferm then what ever left are extras.

He uses Canon Rebel Xti.

HamRadio

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
I think I said the short screws go with the standoffs.

Pictures are really nice. How do you know it is a Canon Rebel Xti?

MulaTerca

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007

The info is embedded in the picture information:

Camera
Make Canon
Model Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
X resolution 72/1
Y resolution 72/1
Resolution unit inches
Software Picasa 3.0
Date/time 25/02/2008 06:59:35 a.m.
YCbCr positioning co-sited
Image description
Artist
Copyright
Exposure time 1/100 s
F-number f/10
Exposure program Manual
ISO speed ratings ISO 1600
Date/time original 25/02/2008 06:59:35 a.m.
Date/time digitized 25/02/2008 06:59:35 a.m.
Component config YCbCr
Shutter speed value 1/100 s
Aperture value f/10
Exposure bias value 0.00 eV
Metering mode Pattern
Flash Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal length 55 mm
User comment
Colorspace Uncalibrated
Pixel X dimension 700
Pixel Y dimension 377
Focal plane X res. 3888000/877
Focal plane Y res. 2592000/582
Focal plane res. unit inch
Custom Rendered Normal process
Exposure mode Manual exposure
White balance Manual white balance
Scene capture type Standard
Image unique ID 565bccb75aed75207653c67a5ea7da3b
Miscellaneous
Exif version 2.21
FlashPix version 1.0
White balance Flash
Flash bias 0.00 EV
Canon Maker Notes
Macro mode Normal
Flash mode Flash not fired
Continuous drive mode Single
Focus mode AI Servo
Image size Large
Easy shooting mode Manual
Contrast Normal
Saturation Normal
Sharpness Unknown
ISO Unknown
Metering mode Evaluative
AF point selected Unknown
Exposure mode Manual
White balance Flash
Flash bias 0.00 EV
Image type Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Firmware version Firmware 1.1.1
Owner name unknown
Camera serial number 6FB2-06C8C

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
Stop what you are doing. Put it all back in the boxes as best you can and take it to someone who can put it together for you. I recomend finding a "hole-in-the-wall" computer store. Go local. Do not take that to best buy because they would have it all messed up. Nice pics, though.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007

There is still a part of me that is stuck in third grade and can't help but crack a smile at the thought of keeping one hand on unpainted steel. :lol:

randomizer

Champion

Pfft! I build all my PCs on nylon carpet, without any anti-static wristbands or other novelties.

ajsellaroli

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
LOL I find it really funny you guys keep talking about my pictures, but I'm glad you like them :D And yes, as Mula Terca so skillfully discovered, I shoot with a canon rebel XTi and love it. I started out shooting about 3 yrs ago (sophomore yr of High school). Ever since I shot pretty much nothing but nature. Now, though, I'm a freshman in college, and am on my college newspaper. In fact, this is the first semester I've been on the newspaper, and the first issue of the newspaper that came out since I've been apart of it has 2 of my photos in it! I'm pretty excited, the newspaper was actually just distributed today, so its been on my mind lately :D.

Evan, I have the Antec 900, so I guess that I know what the long screws are for now, thanks.
Hairycat - I want to build it myself, I need the experience. If I give up now, and just let somebody else do it for me, where would that put me for the future? If I wanted to upgrade the smallest thing, I'd have to get somebody else to do it for me. That's not what I want, I want to learn. I guess I'll just keep having to creating Photographically Enhanced Self Help Threads, if that's alright with you guys? lol

thank you all so much for the help thus far, I feel way better about what I'm doing. I'll keep you posted on my progress (trust me..I will need more help :D)

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
I put the washers on top. To my knowledge the currents run on top. This is why most of the heavy duty soldering is on the back of the board. Circuit boards are only etched on one side and that would be the top in a motherboards case.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Uh, no.