Subwoofers ....

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 5, 2005 5:57:13 PM

Not quite HDTV, but I am sure there are many experts on this subject on the
group, and of course HDTV also needs HD sound!

I am thinking of adding a subwoofer, but am confused as to the best way to
hook it up.

My receiver has a subwoofer out (RCA) which I think goes to the
corresponding input on the sum (LFE I believe). This seems pretty straight
forward, but the subwoofers appear to also allow the main speakers to be
routed through the sub. Is this the preferred set up? If I route mains
through the sub, is the sub going to use its speaker in a passive mode to
deliver the bass that would otherwise go to the mains? If so, is that an
advantage?

The speakers I use are the Bose AM5's, these speakers have a separate
(passive) woofer, but they are certainly not over endowed with low end
punch. With these speakers, the small speakers are routed through the
woofer, so if I put the sub into the circuit I would have two separate boxes
designed to handle the bass.

The subs also seem to have an array of controls - volume, phase and cut over
level. What is the best way to figure out the appropriate levels/settings
for each of these? My receiver is a Yamaha HTR-5790, which also has all
sorts of subwoofer settings.

Lastly, how big! From BestBuy, I can spend $100 for a Yamaha 8" with 100W,
$200 for a Klipsch with 10" and 200W and $500+ for models with 400W and
above. I am not looking to shake my house off of its foundations or to upset
the neighbors, so I was thinking the $200 would be enough, but I am
wondering if the $100 one would be OK (WAF would probably rule out the
bigger boxes!).

Thanks.

More about : subwoofers

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 8:33:55 PM

Fred Bloggs wrote:
> Not quite HDTV, but I am sure there are many experts on this subject on the
> group, and of course HDTV also needs HD sound!
>
> I am thinking of adding a subwoofer, but am confused as to the best way to
> hook it up.
>
> My receiver has a subwoofer out (RCA) which I think goes to the
> corresponding input on the sum (LFE I believe). This seems pretty straight
> forward, but the subwoofers appear to also allow the main speakers to be
> routed through the sub. Is this the preferred set up? If I route mains
> through the sub, is the sub going to use its speaker in a passive mode to
> deliver the bass that would otherwise go to the mains? If so, is that an
> advantage?
>
> The speakers I use are the Bose AM5's, these speakers have a separate
> (passive) woofer, but they are certainly not over endowed with low end
> punch. With these speakers, the small speakers are routed through the
> woofer, so if I put the sub into the circuit I would have two separate boxes
> designed to handle the bass.
>
> The subs also seem to have an array of controls - volume, phase and cut over
> level. What is the best way to figure out the appropriate levels/settings
> for each of these? My receiver is a Yamaha HTR-5790, which also has all
> sorts of subwoofer settings.
>
> Lastly, how big! From BestBuy, I can spend $100 for a Yamaha 8" with 100W,
> $200 for a Klipsch with 10" and 200W and $500+ for models with 400W and
> above. I am not looking to shake my house off of its foundations or to upset
> the neighbors, so I was thinking the $200 would be enough, but I am
> wondering if the $100 one would be OK (WAF would probably rule out the
> bigger boxes!).
>
> Thanks.

Here is one excellent place for just about anything about subs.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=113

Keith
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 11:13:16 PM

1. The Bose must have its signals routed through the sub as that also
contains the amps for the satellites. In addition, they need their
woofer, which is not a subwoofer, in order to even approach
reproducing any bass.

2. You should wire the subwoofer as you initially describe (leaving
the Bose system connected as-is) and use the bass management menus on
the receiver to separate the bass (to the sub) and the rest (to the
Boses).

3. You could use the additional inputs/outputs on the sub to also
drive the Bose but there's no upside to that.

4. If your receiver has sufficient controls in its bass management
along with sufficient documentation, use those and set the controls on
the sub to either BYPASS (if that setting exists) or to the highest
frequency of crossover. Leave the level in the middle and only adjust
that if the setup on the receiver runs out of range. Leave the phase
on "0" until all else is done and, after that, see if tweaking it
makes any difference.

5. I cannot recommend any subs in that range but I do recommend that
you buy the Chesky Ultimate DVD-5.1 Set-Up disc. It's excellent.

Kal

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 13:57:13 -0700, "Fred Bloggs" <SPAM@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Not quite HDTV, but I am sure there are many experts on this subject on the
>group, and of course HDTV also needs HD sound!
>
>I am thinking of adding a subwoofer, but am confused as to the best way to
>hook it up.
>
>My receiver has a subwoofer out (RCA) which I think goes to the
>corresponding input on the sum (LFE I believe). This seems pretty straight
>forward, but the subwoofers appear to also allow the main speakers to be
>routed through the sub. Is this the preferred set up? If I route mains
>through the sub, is the sub going to use its speaker in a passive mode to
>deliver the bass that would otherwise go to the mains? If so, is that an
>advantage?
>
>The speakers I use are the Bose AM5's, these speakers have a separate
>(passive) woofer, but they are certainly not over endowed with low end
>punch. With these speakers, the small speakers are routed through the
>woofer, so if I put the sub into the circuit I would have two separate boxes
>designed to handle the bass.
>
>The subs also seem to have an array of controls - volume, phase and cut over
>level. What is the best way to figure out the appropriate levels/settings
>for each of these? My receiver is a Yamaha HTR-5790, which also has all
>sorts of subwoofer settings.
>
>Lastly, how big! From BestBuy, I can spend $100 for a Yamaha 8" with 100W,
>$200 for a Klipsch with 10" and 200W and $500+ for models with 400W and
>above. I am not looking to shake my house off of its foundations or to upset
>the neighbors, so I was thinking the $200 would be enough, but I am
>wondering if the $100 one would be OK (WAF would probably rule out the
>bigger boxes!).
>
>Thanks.

July 6, 2005 7:16:48 PM

I have a pioneer 10" 100w powered sub, it is more than enough for me, I have
mine hooked up thru the dedicated sub out on the receiver, I think?? my
cutover is at 150 and my lfe is off, most of the settings are in the
receiver or sub manual, you will have to read both and find the setting your
are most comfortable with

just make sure its a powered sub, it doesn't matter where you locate it in
your room

"keroom" <keroom@aol.com> wrote in message

> Fred Bloggs wrote:
>> Not quite HDTV, but I am sure there are many experts on this subject on
>> the
>> group, and of course HDTV also needs HD sound!
>>
>> I am thinking of adding a subwoofer, but am confused as to the best way
>> hook it up.
>>
>> My receiver has a subwoofer out (RCA) which I think goes to the
>> corresponding input on the sum (LFE I believe). This seems pretty
>> straight
>> forward, but the subwoofers appear to also allow the main speakers to be
>> routed through the sub. Is this the preferred set up? If I route mains
>> through the sub, is the sub going to use its speaker in a passive mode to
>> deliver the bass that would otherwise go to the mains? If so, is that an
>> advantage?
>>
>> The speakers I use are the Bose AM5's, these speakers have a separate
>> (passive) woofer, but they are certainly not over endowed with low end
>> punch. With these speakers, the small speakers are routed through the
>> woofer, so if I put the sub into the circuit I would have two separate
>> boxes
>> designed to handle the bass.
>>
>> The subs also seem to have an array of controls - volume, phase and cut
>> over
>> level. What is the best way to figure out the appropriate levels/settings
>> for each of these? My receiver is a Yamaha HTR-5790, which also has all
>> sorts of subwoofer settings.
>>
>> Lastly, how big! From BestBuy, I can spend $100 for a Yamaha 8" with
>> 100W,
>> $200 for a Klipsch with 10" and 200W and $500+ for models with 400W and
>> above. I am not looking to shake my house off of its foundations or to
>> upset
>> the neighbors, so I was thinking the $200 would be enough, but I am
>> wondering if the $100 one would be OK (WAF would probably rule out the
>> bigger boxes!).
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Here is one excellent place for just about anything about subs.
>
> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=113
>
> Keith

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 8:07:40 PM

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 15:16:48 -0400, "Gogordo" <no.address@none.com>
wrote:

>I have a pioneer 10" 100w powered sub, it is more than enough for me, I have
>mine hooked up thru the dedicated sub out on the receiver, I think?? my
>cutover is at 150

Too high unless you are using terribly small satellites and you have
no choice. Try to keep it below 100Hz.

>and my lfe is off,

Off? Where is it going?

> most of the settings are in the
>receiver or sub manual, you will have to read both and find the setting your
>are most comfortable with

Yup.

>just make sure its a powered sub, it doesn't matter where you locate it in
>your room

Not true. Since the sub is reproducing frequencies whose wavelengths
approximate domestic room dimensions, placement is important as there
are nodes and nulls in each dimension.

Kal

>"keroom" <keroom@aol.com> wrote in message
>>

>> Fred Bloggs wrote:
>>> Not quite HDTV, but I am sure there are many experts on this subject on
>>> the
>>> group, and of course HDTV also needs HD sound!
>>>
>>> I am thinking of adding a subwoofer, but am confused as to the best way
>>> hook it up.
>>>
>>> My receiver has a subwoofer out (RCA) which I think goes to the
>>> corresponding input on the sum (LFE I believe). This seems pretty
>>> straight
>>> forward, but the subwoofers appear to also allow the main speakers to be
>>> routed through the sub. Is this the preferred set up? If I route mains
>>> through the sub, is the sub going to use its speaker in a passive mode to
>>> deliver the bass that would otherwise go to the mains? If so, is that an
>>> advantage?
>>>
>>> The speakers I use are the Bose AM5's, these speakers have a separate
>>> (passive) woofer, but they are certainly not over endowed with low end
>>> punch. With these speakers, the small speakers are routed through the
>>> woofer, so if I put the sub into the circuit I would have two separate
>>> boxes
>>> designed to handle the bass.
>>>
>>> The subs also seem to have an array of controls - volume, phase and cut
>>> over
>>> level. What is the best way to figure out the appropriate levels/settings
>>> for each of these? My receiver is a Yamaha HTR-5790, which also has all
>>> sorts of subwoofer settings.
>>>
>>> Lastly, how big! From BestBuy, I can spend $100 for a Yamaha 8" with
>>> 100W,
>>> $200 for a Klipsch with 10" and 200W and $500+ for models with 400W and
>>> above. I am not looking to shake my house off of its foundations or to
>>> upset
>>> the neighbors, so I was thinking the $200 would be enough, but I am
>>> wondering if the $100 one would be OK (WAF would probably rule out the
>>> bigger boxes!).
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> Here is one excellent place for just about anything about subs.
>>
>> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=113
>>
>> Keith

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 8:07:41 PM

"Kalman Rubinson" <kr4@nyu.edu> wrote in message
> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 15:16:48 -0400, "Gogordo" <no.address@none.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I have a pioneer 10" 100w powered sub, it is more than enough for me, I
>>have
>>mine hooked up thru the dedicated sub out on the receiver, I think?? my
>>cutover is at 150
>
> Too high unless you are using terribly small satellites and you have
> no choice. Try to keep it below 100Hz.
>
>>just make sure its a powered sub, it doesn't matter where you locate it in
>>your room
>
> Not true. Since the sub is reproducing frequencies whose wavelengths
> approximate domestic room dimensions, placement is important as there
> are nodes and nulls in each dimension.
>
> Kal

werd. what Kal said.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 1:05:25 PM

"Gogordo" <no.address@none.com> wrote in message
>I have a pioneer 10" 100w powered sub, it is more than enough for me, I
>have mine hooked up thru the dedicated sub out on the receiver, I think??
>my cutover is at 150 and my lfe is off, most of the settings are in the
>receiver or sub manual, you will have to read both and find the setting
>your are most comfortable with

================================
For proper use, the cut-off should be about 80 hz.

Why is your LFE off? That kind of defeats the whole 5.1 surround mix.
================================

> just make sure its a powered sub, it doesn't matter where you locate it in
> your room

==============================
It sure does! Location of a sub is critical.
==============================
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 6:26:53 PM

"Fred Bloggs" <SPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Not quite HDTV, but I am sure there are many experts on this subject on
> the group, and of course HDTV also needs HD sound!
>
> I am thinking of adding a subwoofer, but am confused as to the best way to
> hook it up.
>
> My receiver has a subwoofer out (RCA) which I think goes to the
> corresponding input on the sum (LFE I believe). This seems pretty straight
> forward, but the subwoofers appear to also allow the main speakers to be
> routed through the sub. Is this the preferred set up? If I route mains
> through the sub, is the sub going to use its speaker in a passive mode to
> deliver the bass that would otherwise go to the mains? If so, is that an
> advantage?
>
> The speakers I use are the Bose AM5's, these speakers have a separate
> (passive) woofer, but they are certainly not over endowed with low end
> punch. With these speakers, the small speakers are routed through the
> woofer, so if I put the sub into the circuit I would have two separate
> boxes designed to handle the bass.
>
> The subs also seem to have an array of controls - volume, phase and cut
> over level. What is the best way to figure out the appropriate
> levels/settings for each of these? My receiver is a Yamaha HTR-5790, which
> also has all sorts of subwoofer settings.
>
> Lastly, how big! From BestBuy, I can spend $100 for a Yamaha 8" with 100W,
> $200 for a Klipsch with 10" and 200W and $500+ for models with 400W and
> above. I am not looking to shake my house off of its foundations or to
> upset the neighbors, so I was thinking the $200 would be enough, but I am
> wondering if the $100 one would be OK (WAF would probably rule out the
> bigger boxes!).
>
> Thanks.

I prefer the bigger=better approach - the subwoofer is there to move lots of
air.
I have a 15" 500W subwoofer and it can remove the nails from the walls.

Incredible - when I can use it... sadly my wife won't let me play the home
theater sound the way it was intended.
!