All Programs contain All Default Icons

to some degree, that you will need to play with...
click start, click all programs,
point at the icon you want to change, right click
left click properties, left click customize, left click change icon,
look for icons in this file: %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll
and that's not the only file that contains icons, just one of them...
double click the icon you want, left click apply, left click OK

now you can start thinking up more ideas, there's hoards of icons in hoards of files...

1. Right-click the desktop and then click Properties.
2. Click the Settings tab.
3. Change the color depth from the current setting to a new setting. For example, change from Highest (32 bit) to Lowest (16 bit).
4. Click Apply, and then click Yes to accept the changes.
5. Change the color depth back to its original setting.
6. Click Apply, and then click Yes to accept the changes.

Using Registry Editor, add the Max Cached Icons string value with a value data of 2000 to the following registry key, and then restart your computer:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

click: Edit > New > String Value. Name it Max Cached Icons and then right-click and Modify the value to 2000. Note the two spaces in the name.

Shadowman44

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

Greetings,
I have tried both suggestions and neither one works. It also appears that my account was deactivated so I am unable to respond to the forum. When I look at the All Programs Menu it still shows the plain folders/icon for all the programs and not the icon associated with the Programs. Do I have to undo the changes I made or is it alright to leave them. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks ... Ken

All folders in the Start menu are generic, unless you change them.
Right-click,Properties, Customize.

All Programs in the Start menu should have the icon from the program executable.
Right-click,Properties,Change Icon.

If you don't like the icons supplied by the program exe file, you can browse to Windows\system32\moricons.dll

If you are changing them, but they keep reverting to generic at each startup, that is another matter.

It is harmless to leave them all looking generic.