More RV770 details from Chiphell!!!

xkm1948

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
Those guys in China seem to have special way to get info.

Today chiphell release more detail about coming RV770.

You know that both R600 and RV670 have 64*5D units.

Now, sit tight, don't scream. :D

RV770 will has 160*5D :bounce:

The TMU units and ROP will increase "An awful lot". :lol:

The red team is back. Will its super weapon crash the green giant this time? We shall see! :sol:

blashyrkh

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
well, assuming this info is correct, the 3870 with 64 actual (we all know the story about the 320 unified shaders) is about 15-20% slower. So, going from 64 to 160 is going to give a massive boost. Also TMU count has also gone up so I'm guessing aroung 50% increase in performance translating at about 20% faster than the GTS (G92) which ain't bad at all. Ofcource, we'll just have to wait and see. FInally, FSAA performance is back!! (...or it will be back... :))

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
For comparison, here's the Nordic Hardware info.

http://www.nordichardware.com/index.php news=1&action=more&id=7356

4850 and 4870 with 480 shaders instead of 320, 32 TMU's and 16 ROPs. Not bad at all. A 4850 would match my 3870x2 in clocks rather nicely in a CrossfireX configuration on a 790 board with an upcoming Phenom 9750!

Iscabis

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
From some of the reviews, CorssfireX still has some work to be done in the drivers, but it is still exciting nonetheless :)

Thanks for more info by the way xkm1948! Keep it coming! I would really like to see Nvidia slapped in the face after how they have been acting lately. They pretty much deserve it :p

If the rest of the rumours are true (ie TMU #s and ROP#s) then actually I'd say it would be even faster than that easily 50% faster than a GTS-G92 in many cases. But of course that's a guess, and baed on the way these things perform I'm not saying globally 50% faster, since even if some apps were 50% faster on the RV670 that'd simply bring it in line with the GTS-92/GTX-Ultra. But also likely compared to the G92 there shouldn't be such wildly low performance issues, even initially compared to the G92, and compared to the older generation it would not need the drivers to be as optimized to perform well, and then the driver boost would be wipped cream and a cherry on top.

Ofcource, we'll just have to wait and see.

Yep a ton of rumours and nothing concrete, right up to the G80 and R600 launches alot of the rumours seemed plausible, but still lotsa mis-fires there, even like 2 weeks before launch. The only thing I don't understand is how to rectify the transistor count and chip size for all of these added shaders. That's pretty a pretty big increase, and should involve a chip in the over billion club just like the G100/T200.

Another thing that bothers me though is the asymetrical nature of the #, I would've expected a move to 128 more than a move to 160, however the extra 32 would be welcome, but makes me question the ratios. Unlike the nV series there's no hard requirement for ROPs-Memory interface, but now it makes me wonder how they all balance. If they are only increasing the TMUs and ROPs by 2x but increasing the Shaders by 2.5X , then it's still a very shader heavy design. I just hope they not only tweak the TMU count, but also the ratios within the TMUs, now thaat would help a bit.

FInally, FSAA performance is back!! (...or it will be back... :))

Well yes, the added shaders even if not optimized and not efficient at first render should allow for near 'free AA' for current apps a current normal resolutions compared to the HD3K series. And when moving toward shader correct AA required in DX10, well that would basically be at about the same cost and would be interesting to see compared to the G92, and then also to compare to the G100/T200 if they still used hardware resolve in the ROPs.

Sounds like both future chips are gonna be monsters.