Update XP and Anti-Virus software or just AV?

NikosN

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
My subscription to MS Anti-Virus just ran out and was hoping to change to MS Security Esentials. When I removed the old software and went to update I had to download a compatibility software.

After I ran ithis software I got a message that said MS will no longer be supporting XP as of July 2010 and that I should upgrade to Windows 7. Don't feel like reloading my software and starting from scratch. So, I thought of just getting another Anti-virus software like AVG or what is recommended on a previous Tom's Hardware link either Avast or Avira.

What's the consensus on this forum... better to upgrade to Windows 7 or stay with XP even if it's not supported. I thought MS was going to support Xp until 2013 or 2014?

Solution
Check in control panel>add/remove for an instance of SP3. Sure back up important personal files to external drive or disk before installing SP3. If you download and attempt to install SP3, the installation will recognize if SP3 is already installed on the system and inform you.

Windows XP will need to be updated to Service Pack 3 (SP3) to continue to be updated after July 13th. Sticky at the top of the XP forum, clicky to read here.

NikosN

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
Check in control panel>add/remove for an instance of SP3. Sure back up important personal files to external drive or disk before installing SP3. If you download and attempt to install SP3, the installation will recognize if SP3 is already installed on the system and inform you.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS