Sign in with
Your question

Prevent pc from restarting itself

Last response: in Windows XP
July 18, 2010 5:35:12 PM

hi, im running a FTP server, and this XP is giving me headache. for some reason it would restart the computer during night. i need this to be SOLID on all the time, whatever caused this restart, can i force it so that computer does not restart by itself? and only user can shut it off?

More about : prevent restarting

July 18, 2010 7:27:44 PM

jhyukkang said:
hi, im running a FTP server, and this XP is giving me headache. for some reason it would restart the computer during night. i need this to be SOLID on all the time, whatever caused this restart, can i force it so that computer does not restart by itself? and only user can shut it off?

First we can deal with the restart issue.

Click: Start>settings>Control Panel>system>Advanced>Startup and Recovery>System Failure

Uncheck the box that says "Automatically Restart" , click OK, Click Ok.

In your BIOS settings, there may be a setting in Power management to specify that if the computer loses power to: Stay Off.

Prevent Windows from being shut down:

This will add a step in shutting down windows for you.
Automatic updates installed while you are away can cause the machine to be restarted, or an application can be haunting you with this problem you describe. Automatic Updates are important, however if they are going to cause an unwelcome restart.. they can be annoying. If you proceed with my suggestion, be advised that the interrupted restart should be permitted to proceed sometime soon, rather than weeks later.

The link below will allow you to download Shutdownguard. It is free.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Other...

!