lag in game aswell as ping spikes

j3wbagell

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2008
I used to have a 939 socket mobo but ripped the cpu out of it so i needed to replace it, so in future thinking, without doing a complete build, i upgraded my mobo to am2. So naturally i had to replace the ram as well as cpu. I currently have a m2n-mx se plus 64 x2 4600+ and 2gb corsair xms2 ram.

In single player on cod4 i lag at various parts when there's a lot of stuff going on, which makes me think ram. My ram is running 5-5-5-18 at 400 mhz i tried to go into the bios to change it to 4-4-4-12 (rated timings on the ram), but all i can do is change the Mhz. Everest say it will run 4-4-4-123 at 270 Mhz, will i see a boost in performance if i do that?

Also in Multiplayer i have random ping spikes. When running fraps for FPS i usually get about 49-60 fps and in small places like rooms or buildings ill get 90. But for some reason i randomly get lag and ping spikes.

This is not an internet problem because on my old rig i had smaller download/upload speeds. I currently have 3mb download and 1mb upload but used to have 1.5mb download with 765kb upload.

I have run dual core optimizer updated every driver i can think and a few other things. Some of the things helped but nothing fixed. Any help or ideas would be great.

p.s. i am on a wifi connection right now, but whether i hardline it or use wifi there is no difference.

akhilles

Splendid
Most games are gpu-limited. They don't all support multiple cores. A faster gpu will def. show a difference in games. You can spend a fortune on a cpu/mobo/ram combo & you might get a bit of boost in fps. Go pick up an HD3870 for a new low price of $180. Or a 9600GT or even an 8800GT. Oh yeah, there's an AGP version of HD3850. It's already out.

j3wbagell

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2008
it's not my gpu i was running 50 frames on a single core 4000+ with DDR memory. The 7900 GTX is MORE then enought to support COD4. COD4 also utilizes the second core and has a minimum requirement of a 6600.

I was thinking again last night, and i thought maybe my windows copy. Since i had to reformat my comp to get rid of the raid array i had to use a "purchased" copy of xp wehn trying to plug in a few serials it wouldn't work and the program keeps saying it's legit. Could a my os factor in as a problem?