Is there such a drive?

itsanss

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Was browsing NewEgg in search of a drive that reads and writes Bly-ray, DVD, and CD. I did not see one that did everything.

The drives that write Blu-ray lack ability to read/write some CD and DVD stuff and the drives that read Blu-ray does not write Blu-ray but does read/write everything else...

Am I going to have to get more than one drive? One that both reads and writes all forms of CD, DVD, and Blu-ray?

Thanks

What makes you think blu-ray burners can't read/write some CD/DVD stuff?

I have an LG blu-ray burner, and it can read and write any CD or DVD that I've tried. No problems at all.

4745454b

Titan
I think I can guess whats wrong. Lets look at the cheapest BR burner on newegg right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136155

For $199 (+ tax if you live in the "right" state.) you can have this gem. It even comes with "free Blu-ray media" if you buy it by today. It supports BR, BR re write, DVD +/- R and DVD +/- RW, CD-R, CD-RW, and finally all the dual layer disks as well. This is nearly all the types of disks out there.

It is missing support for a few features that other DVD drives have. For example, it won't burn DVD-RAM. It didn't say anything about supporting Lightscribe. There might be some other things it doesn't do that I missed.

I'm with cjl on this. I've never used DVD-RAM, and I don't plan to. I don't like lightscribe either. If you use these, then you'll need to have two drives. If you like most of the rest of us, a single BR burner will do fine.

itsanss

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
That's exactly what I'm looking for. Knew ya'll could help!

I knew there had to be one in existance. Either this one did not show up in my search on NewEgg or I simply overlooked it. Doh!

Thanks again!