is there a way to test a heatsink?

metallurgist

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
finished up building my PC and turned it on and discovered that my heat sink fan wasn't on at all. to tell the truth i was kinda expecting it to be turning (slowly), but still turning. it twitched a little every couple seconds but no full rotations.

i was a little worried especially since the box which the heatsink was in was a little roughed up (took pictures of it just in case) so i plugged in the heatsink that i received (much smaller one) and powered everything up and instead of twitching it would do like one rotation every few seconds which would make sense since its a smaller fan etc.

i called up the motherboard company and they confirmed what i thought, that newer motherboards control the cpu fan and its thermally controlled (makes sense) so it isn't really expected to be running once you turn it on.

currently i just installed windows and my cpu meter hasn't been much over 2% this whole time had it up to like 20-30% for a few minutes since my friend wanted to see the picture quality on a movie.

so how do you test a cpu fan? would like to try before i play any games or anything just to be sure i don't ruin my e8400 dual core. i'm sure its fine im just a little paranoid since this is my first build.

any advice/suggestions? thanks in advance

ps got like a bucha fans already directed towards the heatsink so it already probably dissipates quite a bit of heat.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If the HSF is working, the machine will immediately shut down. This is failsafe on all new mobo as far as I know. You can also check the CPU temps, your mobo should have software to do this.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

You mean if the HSF is not working, the machine will immediately shut down. :)