Sign in with
Your question

Need advice on my new computer please

Last response: in Systems
February 26, 2008 8:46:12 PM

Right now I have a desktop system with the following specs:

Intel 945 motherboard
Intel Pentium 4 3.00 Ghz (two of them i think??)
1 GB Ram (not sure what type)
Nvidia GeForce 6600 LE

I downloaded 3dmark06, and ran it with the default settings, I got a score of 944. From reading around this sounds terrible. I do play battlefield 2142, but I have to play on the lowest settings and it still lags if there's a lot going on such as artillery barrages. Also I couldn't find much about my video card, but it appears to be the toned-down version of the normal 6600.

So anyhow I'm considering getting a new computer, and haven't decided on a laptop or a desktop. I would like the ability to take my laptop around with me, but it's not an absolute necessity at this time (thus I am also considering a desktop). I mainly use my computer for working (nothing really intensive), and playing music. I am quite busy with work and school but I certainly like to play games in my spare time.

So here are the systems I'm comparing:

Dell XPS M1530
Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4 Ghz
3 GB DDR2 667
200 GB 7200 RPM SATA
GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB
Soundblaster Audigy

Custom Desktop
ASUS P5K-E P35 motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor
Corsair XMS2 4 GB (2x2) DDR2 Dual Channel memory
MSI GeForce 8800GT OC 512MB DDR3 video card
Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme 7.1 PCI-E sound card
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB hard drive
LiteOn DVD RW
Logitech mouse/keyboard
Cooler Master Cosmos case
Rosewill RX850-D-B 850W PSU

The desktop system would be cheaper, but of course then I lose the ability to take it around with me. So first, can somebody give me an idea of how both of these options (the laptop and the custom desktop) compare to my current setup, and also how they compare to each other?

If the desktop option I listed isn't going to be a HUGE difference over the laptop, I would go with the laptop. But on the otherhand, if this desktop system I am contemplating would absolutely blow the laptop out of the water, then I might go with the desktop.

Thanks

More about : advice computer

February 26, 2008 9:30:10 PM

if your gonna go with a custom desktop why would you not go for a cusotm laptop?

Also i recommend EVGA because of their warranty i have had 3 EVGA cards and never had a problem with any of them.

current<laptop<desktop

you will see a major difference witehre or no you go with the laptop or desktop. The desktop would be more future proof where as the laptop would be good for a year maybe longer.
February 27, 2008 12:47:23 PM

Yeah, but the thing with desktops is one of the parts will fail at some point. Laptops last a bit longer as the average user can't just open it up & screw around.

I say go with a desktop. The 8600M is no match for the 8800GT. You just told us that your video is a dumped-down version, and why would you pick up a laptop with another one? I think the reason you don't game much is that you don't have a top of the line pc. If you do, you will be spending more time on the pc.

By the way, the list looks great.
Related resources
February 27, 2008 1:40:21 PM

If you like gaming and music go for a homebuilt desktop. Consider adding these or something similar http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/promedia-2-1.aspx. You'll be amazed at what better sound and graphics will do for your music and gaming experience. Homebuilt desktops use better components and are easier to upgrade as well. Consider a better PSU from this list http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088 like the Corsair HX or the PC Power & Cooling models.
February 27, 2008 2:06:08 PM

akhilles said:
Yeah, but the thing with desktops is one of the parts will fail at some point. Laptops last a bit longer as the average user can't just open it up & screw around.

I say go with a desktop. The 8600M is no match for the 8800GT. You just told us that your video is a dumped-down version, and why would you pick up a laptop with another one? I think the reason you don't game much is that you don't have a top of the line pc. If you do, you will be spending more time on the pc.

By the way, the list looks great.

Laptops actually have a shorter life span. They get bumped around alot. They run alot hotter, especially if you cover the vent up while its on your lap. And laptops cost 3 times as much to fix when something does go wrong. If the motherboard blows you might as well get a new laptop all together for the price it would cost to repair.
February 27, 2008 2:35:20 PM

Budget? That kind of thing is important. ;) 
February 27, 2008 2:46:54 PM

Apparently his budget is 2 grand. If you're not technical and can't really build your own you can go to cyberpowerpc.com you get almost the exact same prices as newegg sometimes cheaper. They also do custom laptops which i built the laptop you were looking at for 1600 instead of 2 grand. Oh and i'm not affiliated with them in any way my friend bought his laptop from them and he loves it.

To akhilles: Laptops do not last longer laptops are usually miniaturized versions of their desktop counterparts which means they have taken somethings out to make it a laptop. for example , just one that a lot of people have heard about, the iPhone, the macs are great but the tiny miniaturized version is a pos.

February 27, 2008 2:48:44 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
Laptops actually have a shorter life span. They get bumped around alot. They run alot hotter, especially if you cover the vent up while its on your lap. And laptops cost 3 times as much to fix when something does go wrong. If the motherboard blows you might as well get a new laptop all together for the price it would cost to repair.

That is why I always get a Warranty with my Laptops.
Dell is usually pretty good in being in my house and having it fixed in under 48hrs from when I call.
I'm rough on my laptops so I gotta agree.

They are even good at preventative maintenance.
Replacing noisy fans before they go etc....

To the OP:
Both are better than what you have by far.

The Desktop will blow the Laptop away.
If you really want to play Crysis and other stuff with high res and good graphics, the LAPTOP will not cut it.

If you like less intense games but enjoy browsing the Web on the couch, playing some less intense stuff, etc.. the laptop may be the way to go.

It's really a personal choice.

February 27, 2008 2:50:28 PM

j3wbagell said:
If you're not technical and can't really build your own you can go to cyberpowerpc.com you get almost the exact same prices as newegg sometimes cheaper. They also do custom laptops which i built the laptop you were looking at for 1600 instead of 2 grand.

:hello:  Word to that!
February 27, 2008 3:13:05 PM

I just configured those devices on CyberPower and Dell

The Dell as $1729 w/3 year in-home warranty.
The CyberPower was $1627 w/ 1yr warranty (You ship to them)
The Dell also has a 3rd GB of RAM vs 2gb for the Cyberpower.

If you don't need an OS, you could save $80 w/ Cyberpower.

Of course I could likely have also found a Dell Coupon to make it cheaper.

You can add Accidental Dmg for $99 for 3years to the Dell.
(Good Deal - You spill a drink on it - it's covered. Laptops are more prone to you breaking them than desktops.)
February 27, 2008 4:32:15 PM

cyberpower is 3year 24/7 i belive.

EDIT: i was wrong it is 3 year desktop, 1 year laptop but does have 24/7 tech support, and offer free shipping. but the xps he wants is indeed 2 grand http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=d...

It is completely up to him wether or not he buys dell or wherever.

REEDIT: dell is 1 year warranty aswell
February 27, 2008 5:53:03 PM

doesn't really matter bro it's not up to us.
February 27, 2008 5:54:58 PM

Ok this time I ended up with $1903, and that's because I added in the 85 WHr battery, upgraded the sound card to the SB Audigy, and added in accidental damage protection. This doesn't include any software other than the OS (no MS office, no security....open office + AVG = free).

The desktop I mentioned would appear to cost around $1200 on newegg, but that's not including any processor cooler or OS. How much can I get vista home premium for?

Oh and for the poster who recommended me some speakers...I've already got the logitech z-2300 which are SWEET (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_p...)

So it basically comes down to is the convenience of taking a laptop around the house and traveling worth sacrificing performance and paying more - which is personal opinion, so I've just got to think about it I guess.

I'm gonna post a new thread about that desktop system though because I'm deciding between a few different motherboards...
February 27, 2008 8:07:40 PM

lschmidt said:
(no MS office, no security....open office + AVG = free)...

I have licenses for MS Office and Norton.
I use Open Office & AVG :>>

(My Wife did make me put MS Officce on hers. Some people don't like small change.)
!