Sign in with
Your question

XP Desktop Icons will not stay put

Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
July 18, 2010 11:49:48 PM

Hello,

This is actually an answer to many other peoples' questions, which I accidentally discovered today. I'm trying to spread the word.

For years, my icons stayed where I put them. This week, they began to auto arrange themselves part way through the boot process, before my eyes. All of my settings to prevent this were correct, but they rearranged during every boot. I searched the net and followed all the standard advice, to no avail.

Then I realized that during the last few days I had only added one new thing, a proprietary card reader driver from Ativa Products, which makes various readers including a "10-in-1 USB 2.0 mem card reader/writer". I had been using an Ativa reader in that family for several years, with the perfectly adequate driver which Windows XP automatically installs upon detection. As a whim, I thought I'd install the proprietary Ativa driver. Big mistake. It was the cause of the unwanted icon auto arranging. I uninstalled the Ativa driver and everything returned to normal. I'll stay with the XP driver, which does not trample on my settings.

Ativa could easily correct their driver, if they cared to. There is no justification for it to change desktop settings which the user has not requested.

I suspect there are other programs and drivers which do the same thing, but identifying them might be quite difficult. I was only able to do so by taking a wild guess, knowing I had only made one recent change which could have caused the problem.

So for those of you who are frustrated with being unable to keep your icons where you put them, consider interference from another program. And then try to remember about when you first noticed the problem, and what you may have installed just before that. Good luck.

And Tom, this is a great site; I find many useful fixes here, but don't post unless I have something to offer.

Phil

More about : desktop icons stay put

July 19, 2010 1:46:16 AM

point at the desktop, but not at a desktop icon
right click
left click on "arrange icons by"
un-check "auto arrange"
check the option: "Lock Web Items on Desktop"
This should help some in leaving the desktop icons where you put them, but you're right for sure, loading certain software will scramble the icons, or even change the icon images.
m
l
October 13, 2012 11:40:51 PM

Quote:
Hello,

This is actually an answer to many other peoples' questions, which I accidentally discovered today. I'm trying to spread the word.

For years, my icons stayed where I put them. This week, they began to auto arrange themselves part way through the boot process, before my eyes. All of my settings to prevent this were correct, but they rearranged during every boot. I searched the net and followed all the standard advice, to no avail.

Then I realized that during the last few days I had only added one new thing, a proprietary card reader driver from Ativa Products, which makes various readers including a "10-in-1 USB 2.0 mem card reader/writer". I had been using an Ativa reader in that family for several years, with the perfectly adequate driver which Windows XP automatically installs upon detection. As a whim, I thought I'd install the proprietary Ativa driver. Big mistake. It was the cause of the unwanted icon auto arranging. I uninstalled the Ativa driver and everything returned to normal. I'll stay with the XP driver, which does not trample on my settings.

Ativa could easily correct their driver, if they cared to. There is no justification for it to change desktop settings which the user has not requested.

I suspect there are other programs and drivers which do the same thing, but identifying them might be quite difficult. I was only able to do so by taking a wild guess, knowing I had only made one recent change which could have caused the problem.

So for those of you who are frustrated with being unable to keep your icons where you put them, consider interference from another program. And then try to remember about when you first noticed the problem, and what you may have installed just before that. Good luck.

And Tom, this is a great site; I find many useful fixes here, but don't post unless I have something to offer.

Phil

Hi, Anonymous: Your suspicions may be correct. My experience is like yours. For years my desktop icons stayed put just where I wanted them. Suddenly they started re-arranging themselves just around the time ( I think) whenI installed the Yahoo game " Bejeweled 2 Deluxe". I tried every suggestion I could find on the internet. Nothing helped. They stay put for a while, even when I open other apps, but when I reboot, or open this game they have changed their position again. The only thing I can try is to copy the game to a flash drive and delete it from my computer. But what will happen if I put in the flash drive to play the game? Only Heaven knows.
greetings, Edie (csadau@yahoo.com)
m
l
October 13, 2012 11:53:35 PM

soundguruman said:
point at the desktop, but not at a desktop icon
right click
left click on "arrange icons by"
un-check "auto arrange"
check the option: "Lock Web Items on Desktop"
This should help some in leaving the desktop icons where you put them, but you're right for sure, loading certain software will scramble the icons, or even change the icon images.

Hello,soundguruma: I long since tried every setting avaiilable on the desktop. Checked everyting, un-checkd everything> Nothing helped.
m
l
!