Sign in with
Your question

Whats your weird story?

Last response: in Components
March 24, 2008 11:50:36 PM

In the same vein as the "what got you into computers" thread, I thought I'd start this one. I'm sure those of us who work on computers day after day have stories of the strange and unusual. To kick it off, I'll give my odd tale.

This was about 3 years ago when I worked in my cities IT dept. They had me upgrading peoples computers. They needed to use USB devices, and most of the machines ran NT4.0. For those that don't know, NT doesn't handle USB, so I was slowly upgrading machines to windows 2000. (yes, I said three years ago, don't ask why we weren't upgrading to XP.) I had a computer on the test bed and had finished loading the image onto it. My next task was to update windows for any patches not on the image, and to install/tweak a few programs. (these machines all took the same image, but depending on the dept needed more things.) It was after I was rebooting that the machine found a virus.

Frankly, this should have been impossible. All computers used AV, and the only place this machine went on the internet was to MS update site. So, the question became, where did this virus come from? Alerting the network manager, he "talked" to the switches, and found us an IP address that was listening on ports that it shouldn't. The problem was, their IP address log wasn't up to date, and they had no idea where the offending computer was. (updating the IP logs was my other task. Not fun I assure you.) All of this happened on a friday, so I spent much of my weekend thinking about this.

The "computer" was found by somebody over the weekend. It was a plotter on the second floor of the building, in the engineering section. (a plotter is similar to a giant printer.) No body ever realized that there was an OS underneath the plotters basic menu screen. The plotter ran on windows 2000, and because nobody know, it had never been patched. Or virus scanned. I have no idea how they fixed it, I was sent back to my lair to image computers...

Anyone else have stories of the "strange and unusual"?

More about : whats weird story

March 25, 2008 10:47:29 AM

Interesting story. That plotter machine must have been infested with crud lol. The strangest computer related story I got was the time I tried changing my ram timings from 5-5-5-15 to 4-4-4-12 at stock ddr2 800 speeds, my system hanging and then being really unstable at anything above a small cpu oc from the stock speeds after being stable at twice the oc for months and months. Long story short, before ordering a new mobo in desperation at it all, I tried a bios update. Well I be damned, it did the trick. Old memory works fine by the way, nothing broke at all. Quite an odd experience all round really.
March 25, 2008 1:41:36 PM

4745454b said:

The "computer" was found by somebody over the weekend. It was a plotter on the second floor of the building, in the engineering section. (a plotter is similar to a giant printer.) No body ever realized that there was an OS underneath the plotters basic menu screen. The plotter ran on windows 2000, and because nobody know, it had never been patched. Or virus scanned. I have no idea how they fixed it, I was sent back to my lair to image computers...

Anyone else have stories of the "strange and unusual"?

This is actually very common. Networked multifunction copiers are the same way (some even run Win2K as well) and people are just now starting to become aware of the potential security problems they can cause.
Related resources
March 25, 2008 2:08:48 PM

My wonderful story:
Nvidia FX5900, 4 Harddrives, 2 memsticks, 2 USB Devices, 2 PCI Cards,
Pentium IV @ 2.8ghz. ran (STABLE!!!) on a 250w PSU for over a year.

The thing was that i loaned out my 350w PSU to a friend and took one
of my older random PSUs, which i didnt remember until one year later.

that 250w PSU must have been made out of diamonds.
its now sitting in a PIII system instead (where it should be), still kicking.
March 25, 2008 3:45:15 PM

@engineer, the networked copiers was one of our first guesses. We were reasonably sure it wasn't a PC, as they were all patched and have AV software on them. It must have been something we missed.

@strobe, WOW. Do you remember the brand of the PSU? Where did you get it? Dell "makes" a PSU that is rated at 305W thats pretty solid. I wonder if it was a much earlier model of that one...
March 25, 2008 4:45:41 PM

My old Gateway P4 2.0 Ghz computer I put in a 2.6Ghz P4 and tossed in 2 512MB sticks of memory and the Radeon X700 Pro and that ran fine. Eventually I got nervous and threw in a 430W PSU.

The Gateway came with a 165W PSU. :) 
March 25, 2008 5:47:51 PM

LOL, I think I've seen those. They are about the size of two decks of cards. I remember seeing one for the first time and thinking how did they get all the PSU stuff in there???? I'm surprised you got a 430W to fit in there, I thought the mounting holes were non standard.
March 25, 2008 5:48:35 PM

Strobe, we used to run servers on PSUs from Sparkle Power Inc (aka SPI). 300W ran 2 P3s, a server class mobo with two onboard scsi channels, 3 scsi 10k drives, an optical, a RAID controller, and multiple NICs. I've always said SPI makes good, cheap PSUs. Not pretty, but powerful. You can tell it was decent quality because it weighed like 3 or 4 pounds.
March 25, 2008 11:41:22 PM

The PSU says "FSG Group" on the sidelabel.
its old as hell, ive used it for my first system ever which was an K6-2 500mhz ;) 

but, up to date now it has retired TODAY. the p3 system eventually started to have spontaenous reboot problem under 100% CPU load.

so i guess the PSU did take some damage under my abusing in the P4 system.
March 26, 2008 12:27:31 AM

Perhaps, don't forget to check the motherboard. Motherboards from that era can develop capacitor problems.
March 26, 2008 4:05:22 AM

hehehe, the capacitors does have a small budgin on them, but they have been in the same state for the last 3 years , and switching the PSU did help! =D

so, the capacitors on the mobo is not top notch but still holding ;) 
March 26, 2008 10:41:19 AM

My weird story was just happened a few weeks ago with my customer computer. It's Intel P4 2.4 Ghz, Mobo Intel 865, DDR 512Mb PC2700, HDD Seagate 80Gb, Generic 350 Watt PSU and Winfast 7300LE 256Mb PCI-E that has run fine for at least 6 months before and suddenly cannot booting.

When I power on the system, all the fans was running but the monitor has no display, the led from the monitor just keep blinking red and green, no beeping sound either from the BIOS.

First, I think the VGA went dead but to make sure, I plug it in another computer but it works normally. Second guess is the mobo, but the onboard video and cpu work just fine. So, the third guess is the mobo PCI-E slot itself but to make sure I replaced it with another brand new 7200GS 256mb but it also work normally. And then I returned the 7300LE again to the mobo, it still cannot boot. Why folks?

Until now, the problem remains unsolved. I just replace his computer with brand new 7200GS.
March 26, 2008 11:36:26 AM

I work in an IT department at a medium sized healthcare organization. A guy from maintenance calls me up and says "You might want to come take a look at this printer... based on the smell we think something died in it." So I go across the street (thank god this wasn't in the hospital proper) and by the time I get there the guys from maintenance have disassembled an HP Laserjet 4. They've got the doors and windows open trying to air out an AWFUL smell. A mouse had found its way into the power supply of the printer and had been electrocuted to death. When he got zapped he apparently lost control of himself and sprayed feces EVERYWHERE inside the power supply. It was truly disgusting. We retired that printer that day.
March 26, 2008 1:03:22 PM

rodney_ws said:
I work in an IT department at a medium sized healthcare organization. A guy from maintenance calls me up and says "You might want to come take a look at this printer... based on the smell we think something died in it." So I go across the street (thank god this wasn't in the hospital proper) and by the time I get there the guys from maintenance have disassembled an HP Laserjet 4. They've got the doors and windows open trying to air out an AWFUL smell. A mouse had found its way into the power supply of the printer and had been electrocuted to death. When he got zapped he apparently lost control of himself and sprayed feces EVERYWHERE inside the power supply. It was truly disgusting. We retired that printer that day.

[:turpit:2]

That one wins in my book...
March 26, 2008 1:08:40 PM

Damn!! Talk about "bugs" in the printer!!!
March 26, 2008 1:46:37 PM

oh man that rat one was a good way to start my day.
March 26, 2008 2:00:34 PM

Awww... thanks guys.
March 26, 2008 2:00:52 PM

teh_boxzor said:
oh man that rat one was a good way to start my day.

+1
Absolutely classic.
March 26, 2008 2:12:54 PM

Hi, Long time ago I work for a small pharmaceutical company. At that time the company have only 5 pc's and all the other screen are Wyse terminal connect to a database for order and everything. when we decide to go for pc's we bought 5 tets pc's , load and configure them, check network card, patch, application compatibilty everything looks find.
so we ask the dealer to send us the other 120 pc's we need, the only restriction we have is, all of those pc's does have the exact same harware configuration, we are clear on that. We received the 120 pc's and hell start. not even the image we made will boot the new pc's. Only 40 will work with the image , we call back the company and tell to the salesman "your pc's are not compliant on what we need please take them back". At that moments I think the guy will start to cry over the phone. We find out a solution, he send to us 20 of his tech to load all of the pc's during the weekend. Too install everything. when everything is done one of thech said to me.

"you have three version of your network card, same number, same specification, different version number and you have 2 different version of the same motherboard, and the viedo driver needed are not exactly the same, you need 3 of them". After that when we have a problem with a pc's you should see the amount cd,floopy we need to be prepare for maintenance.

That's my nightmare , but since that time when I have to bought large number of pc's they always be loaded and fully functionnal before leaving the warehouse.
March 26, 2008 2:37:38 PM

My story was a few years back, A friend of mine came to me with his dad's e-machine (blech) with an athlon XP 2000+ in it that didn't work. The computer would power on and all the fans would spin up and thats as far as it would go. I poked around a little bit inside the case, and checked the power supply to make sure it was sending good voltage, everything seemed in order. I told him it was either a bad motherboard or processor, and I was betting on the motherboard being the problem. Then he told me it was still under warranty so I told him just to send it in. I put the side on the case and found a box for him, he called the company and we packed it up and sent it off the next day.

3 months later...

The computer finally comes back with a note stating that it had been tested and everything worked but that there was no processor in the machine. My first thought was thats interesting, there was a processor in it when I shipped it out. So, I open the side of the case to check things out myself and see that there is indeed no processor in it anymore, and the heatsink was just floating around in the case free to bang into whatever during shipping. I had some pretty nasty words with the people at e-machines to no avail. So, I told my friend that we might as well just get a new processor for it, if they tested it and everything worked then it must have been a bad processor. so, we get an athlon XP 2100+(small upgrade) for cheap and drop it in.

and...

the computer powers on and only the lights and fans spin up... again.

bastards...

so, I found a cheap gigabyte board that has all the same chipset and would mount right in the case, threw that in with the new processor and what do you know, the computer booted, and even ran stable without a re-install. His dad used that computer another 3 years without any further problems.

The moral of the story, Don't Buy E-Machines!!!
March 26, 2008 3:14:25 PM

My funny story happened in febuary. I had just built this computer, and before I finally climbed back up to my chair, I plugged in my usb cord for my ipod shuffle, which was in its docking station. I went to power on my comp, and it would just hang, I pulled the side of the case off, checked that various components were plugged in, tried a restart, and it just hangs in the bios screen. Long story short, after going shopping and thinking for a while, came home pulled my shuffle off its docking station, and presto im into os finally. Seems the Q-flash bios which uses a usb flash card to update bios, seen my ipod and thought it might contain info, and kept trying to access it to no avail.
March 26, 2008 6:09:56 PM

Last night I recovered my daughter's boyfriend's hard drive. His junk machne went down and I took a look and found a fried MB. I set him up with and old P4 Northwood I had laying around so He could have a computer and do his taxes He was working on. I told him I'd just take the D Link wire card he wasn't using and the TNT2 video card and call it even. Then He asked if I could recover his hard drive, He had a lot of music and tax info on there. I pulled the HD on my old Athlon 3200 machine and stuck his HD in and did a Windows repair. Just about to the desktop with the repair install and got the message from M$, the OS had to be activated before I could access the system. Starting to become a pain a this point. So, I called M$ and activated the damn thing. Then I got to the desktop and his system had a password. I clicked on 'clue' to password and figured out the password from the clue (are you following how dumb this guy is). I get to the desktop and all his personal files finally, install Deepburner and start burning his files to data DVDs. Then I start noticing titles like 'Girls Gone Wild". "Sandwich Sex'. OOgie get's it in the pooter!" awwww. shat! I want my daughter to become a doctor like her mother. :love: 
March 26, 2008 6:21:02 PM

^^ :ouch: 

It is at that point that I enroll my daughter in a convent and then go after the dude... j/k lol.

seriously though, not sure how I would react to that as I too have a little girl (much younger right now) and would really be wrestling with many reaction options...

...so what did you do? I am curious how you handled it w/ your daughter and if you got him his "music and tax info" that he wanted...

inquiring minds want to know. [:mousemonkey:2]
March 26, 2008 6:23:34 PM

Ahhaaaa! Daughter, mother and son are travelig to Asia next week. So, this won't be mentioned right now so not to spoil the trip. Ahhhhhh...I don't know. (No way this guy is good enough for my daughter) LOL.
March 26, 2008 6:27:44 PM

lol, don't think God could make a guy good enough for mine... well ok, God could, but I dunno if He has yet... ;) 

tough call man, good of you to not spoil their trip. I am curious how things turn out as I am sure I will run into similar things when my daughter starts dating... which by my calculation is when she is 25 or so... lol.
March 26, 2008 6:41:15 PM

rodney_ws said:

Ok,

I have been servicing printers as long as pcs - around 25 years and had to do a call out to a company out in the sticks that sold food for animals to pet shops etc ( based in essex - on the a13 side of the a128 ) which reported that their multi headed dot matrix printer which they used for reports ( it was a high end one ) for stock picking lists....

The reported the printer had stopped sometime during the night.....

Went to open it and in one of the cogs which drove the chain driven heads was a rat which had entangled it self between the cog and the chain , with the head of the printer still twitching on the blood stained rodent splattering all around the inside of the printer.......

had a long job and rubber gloves removing that one, i can tell you .

Second one, a mouse got in through one of the exapansion slots in a courier company in london... peed all over the machine, they turned it on the next day and it blew up !!!!!

Great
March 26, 2008 6:55:38 PM

About 3 years ago, I had a P4 2.4GHz, 120gig HD, 768MB ram, and a GeForce 5500, I had it all running perfectly fine on a 300watt PSU, until I upgraded my video card to a GeForce 6800, soon after I did that I would actually get shocked if I touched the back of my computer, even with that problem the computer still ran fine until one day it wouldn't turn on. I bought a new PSU and it worked fine, but I later upgraded to a completely new computer and I used the replacement PSU I bought for the P4, and put the old non working 300watt psu back in the old computer. One day my new computer stopped working, so I tried fixing the P4 with the 300 watt psu so I could look online on how to fix it, it wouldn't turn on with it plugged in so I kept pushing the power button and after about 20 pushes the CPU exploded right in my face! There was sparks and smoke coming out of it until I unplugged it! Amazingly everything still worked in the computer except the CPU.
March 26, 2008 7:42:35 PM

Many years ago, I worked for IBM, and was called in to work on a software problem for a customer. The machine was an IBM 650, as I recall. A vacuum tube monster about the size of 4 large refrigerators. As we were running some tests, the machine stopped dead. As we were trying to figure it out, this old operator walks in, sees our obvious dismay, and asks what's wrong. After telling him it stopped, he said "Oh, I know how to fix that". He walked over to a spot on the side, and gave the computer a single vicious kick. To our amazement, the computer resumed working!!
March 26, 2008 7:47:38 PM

A month or so ago I helped a friend of mine upgrade his processor from a p4 to a q6600.
He told me he had a really strange issue a few days before, where his HDD would not boot into windows. He told he he reinstalled the OS like 3 times and it finally booted up on the last time(he's just barely learning about building PCs so his diagnostic skills are non existent). I didn't think much of it at the time since everything was running fine.

I figured it would be a pretty easy upgrade, the worst that could happen would be having to reinstall the OS because of incompatibilities with the current installation. So I swapped out the cpu, powered on the system and encountered a really weird issue, the drive was not booting at all. Like there was no OS installed on it. I dunno why but I figured it was some goofy CPU compatibility issue and just decided to reinstall the OS. So I started installing windows and noticed the drive would not boot after the initial part where it writes some files to the HDD and restarts the pc.
I thought that was strange, so I tried booting into linux(which was installed on another partition) to make sure there was no hardware issues. All was well under linux, I could not figure out why this started happening from a simple cpu swap(BIOS CMOS was cleared and all settings reconfigured manualy, so that wasn't an issue).

Earlier, I had considered that the partition windows was sitting on could be configured wrong(like not set to active) but I dismissed that thought, since the system was booting fine before the cpu was changed. Eventually I gave in to my previous suspicion(going against normal logic) and booted into partition magic from this 2 usb thumb drives(formatted as floppy disks) I keep around for such a time. Under partition magic it noticed the problem, just as I thought, windows partition was not set to active, and it was also strangely set as the extended partition while the partition after it was set as the primary. So I fixed that and from there all worked fine.

Now, I have to ask myself, how did the damn thing work just fine while configured incorrectly before the cpu upgrade and not after?
March 26, 2008 7:52:56 PM

The weirdest problem I had was my PC restarting itself every time I tried "Shut Down" from Windows. Turned out to be a Windows problem. (It was a Vista beta build)
March 27, 2008 3:07:58 AM

badge said:
Last night I recovered my daughter's boyfriend's hard drive. His junk machne went down and I took a look and found a fried MB. I set him up with and old P4 Northwood I had laying around so He could have a computer and do his taxes He was working on. I told him I'd just take the D Link wire card he wasn't using and the TNT2 video card and call it even. Then He asked if I could recover his hard drive, He had a lot of music and tax info on there. I pulled the HD on my old Athlon 3200 machine and stuck his HD in and did a Windows repair. Just about to the desktop with the repair install and got the message from M$, the OS had to be activated before I could access the system. Starting to become a pain a this point. So, I called M$ and activated the damn thing. Then I got to the desktop and his system had a password. I clicked on 'clue' to password and figured out the password from the clue (are you following how dumb this guy is). I get to the desktop and all his personal files finally, install Deepburner and start burning his files to data DVDs. Then I start noticing titles like 'Girls Gone Wild". "Sandwich Sex'. OOgie get's it in the pooter!" awwww. shat! I want my daughter to become a doctor like her mother. :love: 

If you want to protect your daughter from sexual content, medicine is certainly the wrong field for her to go into. Spend a day in medical school during the GU unit and you'll want to keep her well away from medicine. The material lectured over is certainly explicit- "peep" and "bajingo" are not exactly accepted medical terminology. But even more explicit are the students' (and professors' too, I won't lie) comments during those units. I'd not send her to be a doc unless you are okay with her seeing an entire anatomy class of 100 stopped so that everybody could crowd around and see a cadaver's implanted penis pump inflate and deflate his member and hear all of the jokes that come along with it. Oh, and the inflation and deflation caused liquid to shoot out and hit a guy on the chest- you can imagine the comments that came with that one.

I'm not a dad yet, so take the following advice with that grain of salt. But if it were me finding the porn on my daughter's boyfriend's computer, I'd take a listing of his directory tree with ls or dir and keep that. First, I'd have a little chat with the boyfriend and work in the fact that certain content such as, oh, porn, can carry viruses and can mess up a computer...not that I am accusing him of course, just a heads-up ;)  I'd see how much he sweats from that one. Next, I'd show my daughter the directory tree listing and see what she has to say. Needless to say I'd be a bit disturbed if she was overly enthusiastic about "OOgie takes it in the pooter" but I think it's something she should be aware of.
March 27, 2008 3:19:23 AM

My daughter will graduate next May with an undergraduate in psychology. She 20 and want sto be a Clinical psychologist. Her aunt is the M.D. Back when I was a psychology major there were some nasteh women in the program. I married the professor. Got a degree too. But yeah, fmedical students know use a lot of bad language. 'specially the wimen.
March 27, 2008 3:32:08 AM

It was weird. I'll likely just set back and watch everyone hang theirsevles. My daughter will be informed, but she is a smart kid (20 year old kid). You know what is really difficult is trying to convince her to get into graduate school (which is already planning to do) and not marry her high school sweetheart. Maybe in ten years if she still feels the same about him. I was raised by an old marine who would set me straight when I needed it. My daughter is just discovering my approach, my philosophy on life. I'm a pretty good dad and she has a great mother. She has learned to listen to us very well. I am hoping she makes the right decision and becomes someone important in life, as an individual who can make a difference if people's lives that has meaning. We will see.
March 27, 2008 3:35:13 AM

badge said:
My daughter will graduate next May with an undergraduate in psychology. She 20 and want sto be a Clinical psychologist. Her aunt is the M.D. Back when I was a psychology major there were some nasteh women in the program. I married the professor. Got a degree too. But yeah, fmedical students know use a lot of bad language. 'specially the wimen.

I won't contradict you there one minute. Perhaps it's because they can get away with it as a guy saying the stuff the women say would get booted out for sexual harassment in a second. But I guess a positive aspect is that they laugh at toilet humor just like my buddies in undergrad. But then again, come to think of it the women in that program were also the ones telling most of the fart jokes as well...hmmm.
March 27, 2008 4:26:06 AM

You should not want this kid around your daughter because he is obviously too stupid. He should have smashed the HD with a hammer rather than giving it to his girlfriend's father to peruse. Too funny. :lol: 

If he had said throw it in the other machine as a slave, you never would have been the wiser.

March 27, 2008 4:44:23 AM

I've got one for you (classic case of repeated stupid user)
during an upgrade to 2000pro, from NT 4.0 this user halted the upgrade midway (had to manually perform the upgrade again) (had it pushing from the domain via SMS). 1 week later he deletes most of his registry (re-install/repair 2000 again!). 4 weeks later he has a full HDD, so he removes some registry keys (re-install/repair 2000 again!). He was one of our CSA's (computer systems associate) later he was deemed a problem user, and I had the fun of removing all of his rights. :) 
March 27, 2008 5:19:53 AM

Zorg. Yeah that was my initial rection, pretty stupid on his part. I am thinking he really wanted his tax info on that hard drive I'm sure, but what did He think I would recover when he said, "I have a lot of music on there I don't want to lose." He had a lot of videos too (LOL). Really, I hardly know him, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and keep an open mind.
March 27, 2008 6:13:59 AM

Open mind about the porn maybe, but the utter stupidity part would be very hard.
March 27, 2008 1:00:22 PM

badge said:
It was weird. I'll likely just set back and watch everyone hang theirsevles. My daughter will be informed, but she is a smart kid (20 year old kid). You know what is really difficult is trying to convince her to get into graduate school (which is already planning to do) and not marry her high school sweetheart. Maybe in ten years if she still feels the same about him. I was raised by an old marine who would set me straight when I needed it. My daughter is just discovering my approach, my philosophy on life. I'm a pretty good dad and she has a great mother. She has learned to listen to us very well. I am hoping she makes the right decision and becomes someone important in life, as an individual who can make a difference if people's lives that has meaning. We will see.

I hear ya on all of that man, rock on.
March 27, 2008 8:07:06 PM

Zorg said:
You should not want this kid around your daughter because he is obviously too stupid. He should have smashed the HD with a hammer rather than giving it to his girlfriend's father to peruse. Too funny. :lol: 

If he had said throw it in the other machine as a slave, you never would have been the wiser.

+1. Or Nuke the HDD or try recovering it himself.
March 27, 2008 8:24:22 PM

sure, stupidity notwithstanding... as a father of a little girl (as yet only 3 yrs old) I can empathize differently; I am aware that most guys that will come sniffing around my door when she gets older have minds running rampant on all things "pooter-related" and such... but when actually confronted with it? No longer can I pretend that MY daughter would never hang around with "those" kind of guys... and so my world would come crashing down. ;) 

20 yrs old changes things only slightly... for the worse b/c you really have no "control" of the situation and regardless of how much you are valued for your wisdom as dad, you are now relegated to bystander status... which is a time that as a "daddy" right now I do not look forward too. :( 

but on a sheer stupidity level on the part of the boyfriend... very funny stuff. :p 
March 27, 2008 8:43:35 PM

Badge,

buy a huge gun, sign up for a shooting range - let people know that you love firearms.

nothing beats testosteron out of those punks better than a pure adrenaline ;) 
March 27, 2008 8:53:21 PM

I already have a spot picked out where the surrounding buildings will dampen the sound. Actually, I put that idea aside. Supersoaker filled with gas and a long butane lighter.
March 27, 2008 8:55:33 PM

Sojrner...wana shud ya borrow my supersoaker? :sol:  :o 
March 27, 2008 9:18:32 PM

^rofl, perfect man!
March 28, 2008 11:09:42 PM

sojrner said:
^rofl, perfect man!

:lol:  :lol:  [:mousemonkey:1] [:mousemonkey:1]

!