TechnoPirate

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Hey guys,

I've run into a problem with a Tempest i5400PW (S5397) not posting and hope someone can provide some insight.

Just setup a new server using the Tempest i5400PW, and it went fine for the most part and it is currently working/posting (no OS yet) with 1cpu and 4GB of ram etc. When setting up a second one today I have been unable to get it to post (want to test the mobo to make sure it's not DOA then it will be kept as a spare). It currently has 1 cpu and 4GB of ram in the exact same setup as the working one but halts on code 0x49h with no mainboard beeps (some case devices beep on startup but it's normal).

RAM: Crucial 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-667 CL5 ECC 240PIN FBDIMM Memory Kit in DIMMS 0, 9
CPU: Intel Xeon E5420 Quad Core 2.50GHZ LGA771 12MB 1333FSB Harpertown Retail Processor W/ Active HSF in CPU0 Socket
VID: onboared vga (enabled)
HDDs: n/a

I have already tried with 1 stick of ram (tried both) in DIMM 0 only, and disconnecting all SATA/SAS devices and such with no luck.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TechnoPirate

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Hmm didn't try it without a CPU, but no RAM gives a memory beep code and POST error. Since then the CPU has been installed on the working motherboard (it's detecting and using both cpus/all 8 cores) and same with the RAM. The motherboard has also been RMA'd so we'll see how that goes.

Regards

qhan

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
what happens if you put in a mem steak from the working box?
or if that is not an option, do you have any other mem steak to try?

TechnoPirate

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I did manage to try both (together and separately) sticks from the working box in this mobo with no success, since then the CPU and RAM that were being used have been installed in the working board also and test out fine. It definitely looks like it was a motherboard issue, but regardless it's enroute (probably received this morning) to be replaced.