Sign in with
Your question

Suggestions for new system build

Last response: in Systems
February 26, 2008 10:22:50 PM

So I am around 3 months out for my new and FIRST system build. I am a total noob, I have never built anything like this before, but I know what components I need to make it work, and I have TH forum if I get stuck and need help, so here goes. I have no idea what mobo to get? There are SO many choices and alot of the specs are over my head. How do I choose? I am building this system with high end top quality parts, as I want and need them to last a few years. So I am thinking about getting an ASUS, or EVGA? I don't know how to overclock YET, but I want to in the future. I am planning to get a Q6600 at the moment, I have read they have great success with OC'ing. I am unsure if I should DDR2 or DDR3? DDR3 is more expensive, but for upgrading purposes maybe I should choose DDR3 simply because by the time I upgrade this system, DDR3 will be more of a norm. I have also ordered (2) EVGA 8800GT's superclocked to run in SLi. I am craming it all into a Coolermaster Stacker 830 or 832. So how this sound so far? The mobo I am unsure what to get. I want something SLi compliant, and is top notch, and fast!!! Oh and overclockable. Well here is what I am thinking about getting, now you guys give me your opinion's, and suggestions. Remember talk to me like a child because I am a total noob at this. Thanks. Oh and this system will be used almost stricly for gaming.
February 26, 2008 11:22:40 PM

I will give you a tip on the DDR3 subject. So far only intel can support DDR3. The MOBO will usually support both DDR2 and DDR3 but only have 2 slots for each DDR2 and DDR3. This will force you to purchase 2 high end RAM modules (at least 4mb total). Try to find a MOBO with a good chipset that can support both DDR2 and DDR3. Good luck!
February 26, 2008 11:25:02 PM

Oops, forgot to tell you that the ASUS pkc5 or PK5c or something like that, will support all your needs but the chipset is not top of the line.
Related resources
February 27, 2008 12:10:12 AM

ok, dude thanks for the info. Will take that under advisement. I appreciate it.
February 27, 2008 1:37:51 AM

If you've already ordered 2 8800GT's you have to do SLI if you plan on using both, which to me is a waste. You cannot do this with an Intel chipset so you'll have to get a Nvidia chipset board.
February 27, 2008 2:41:30 AM

Actually Chuckm, Intel uses crossfire which is just their name for SLI, you have to buy a seperate SLI connector that the INTEL MOBO WILL NOT COME WITH. However, they will be compatible and will work. I have my rig set up that way and my video card reads SLI enabled.
February 27, 2008 8:52:39 AM

colomboheritage said:
Actually Chuckm, Intel uses crossfire which is just their name for SLI, you have to buy a seperate SLI connector that the INTEL MOBO WILL NOT COME WITH. However, they will be compatible and will work. I have my rig set up that way and my video card reads SLI enabled.

NO they are NOT the same. Crossfire needs ATI, SLI needs Nivdia. Check your own post. You cannot do SLI on an Intel board without some sort of hack. You are very misinformed!
February 27, 2008 9:07:32 AM

I agree with chuckm ...

CROSSFIRE are for ATI and SLI for NVIDIA. These two, despite simply means multi GPU, has very different technology.

As far as I know, the only Intel chipset mobo who SLI enabled is the newcoming skulltrail, and it's Crossfire enabled as well.

You can have SLI with NVIDIA chipset mobo (6xx or 7xx), and ATI with either intel/AMD chipset mobo (P35, X38, X48).

Well if it's true that you can SLI on intel chipset, please share me your mobo, chipset, and the setup. This is a really great news if true .. :) 

cheers ^^
!