Non-Gaming System -- Specific Qs

G

I'm looking for input on a new system build. Primary uses will be surfing the Internet, watching videos, office apps. I want the system to last for a few years and I want quality parts. Budget is $1500.

Case: Antec SLK2600AMB (from previous system)
CPU: Intel e4500
CPU Fan: Stock
DVD Burner: NEC PATA (from previous system)
HD: Seagate 7200.10 320GB
MB: Gigabyte DSL3 P35
PSU: Antec True Power 430
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB
Monitor: LG 226WTQ
Video: ???

Questions:
1. I may oc the cpu; I've read it's easy enough. Will the stock cooler suffice?
2. Is 430 watts enough power?
3. Which direction should I go with the video card? Again, I'm not gaming. I've seen some recommendations for the 3450 or 3650. I could do integrated video, but the DSL3 MB seems really solid, so I think a separate card is better.
4. Seems like most are going for Vista x64. I'm not needing 4GB of RAM at this point, but should I just get x64 anyways?

Thanks in advance for the input.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
why put so much money for office apps and the internet? Think about it. MS word was running fine on 256 meg and windows 98se. You don't need a fast comp for office apps. They just don't need it to run well. The most important item from your standpoint is stabality and load time for your apps. Unless you really want slower load times, go with XP and get two gig of ram. Just make sure your ram ratio runs the ram at its fullest potential. That really does affect system performance. Heck, with your needs and wanting to be forward compatable, I would get a quad phenom. The on die mem controller seems to make em feel zippy. With AMD always look for an even multiplier to ensure the correct memory speed. 10, 12,14 etc. The only other thing I would mention is getting mirrored drives. Helps in case of HD crash. 3650.... not bad card.

antas

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
Man, for 1500$ you could build decent gaming rig :) I build mine for less than that.

1. OC with stock fan will limit max speed you can achieve, but this is possible, depend on how much you want to push .. Instead of OC-ing, why don't you get faster CPU, like E8xxx (around 200$ tho), or even Q6600 (around 250$). For standard usage I don't really see the benefit of OC-ing, not to mention OC will stress the system.

2. 430 watts for OC is not enough I must say. This 430W is for basic requirement only. Better to get at least 600W if you want OC. Remember that you might need additional fan for OC. The additional fan means more wattage.

3. Yes, the 3450/3650 will be enough. They have HD support. The price is good, for less than 100$ i believe. For basic use it is enough. Get board from Gigabyte, the price is normal and we can expect their durability. I'm using Gigabyte myself for video.

4. For the time being the Vista x32 is enough. Try to see whether it has option to free upgrade to x64. However if you don't have any old application, you can just go straight to x64. The future are for x64, but not really near future. Just watchout for compatibility issue, some older printer, modem, scanner etc have no support for x64. See your manufacturers website for information.

Vista 32 can also use 4GB of RAM (full 4GB, unlike XP that will read it as 3.5 GB only) in case you decide to get 4GB. I'm using myself Vista 32 for the notebook (it came on one package, OEM) with 2GB memory, as far as now I don't see any problem on it such lack of memory or anything. The notebook is for standard use like your req. The system itself are AMD Turion x64 TL-60, 2 GB of RAM, on board video NVIDIA Go6150.

antas

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
Yo hairy cat :) I give you five :)

Yeah, tdm you should also listen to hairy. IMO you don't need high performance for such office applications.

It seems that your standpoint is the durability and sustainibility. Despite XP are more than enough for you, but looks like Microsoft wants to trash it in the near future. So if you want your system last longer, and you're building from scratch, better get Vista.

One thing I forget to say, if you have OS already on your old system (I assumed it yes :)) and it's XP, just use it. As long as you move system, it's legal (assuming you will only use one copy on one computer). Unless you want to keep your old computer active then you should get another copy of Windows.

That's said ..

I think you are on the right track.

For a video card, I would suggest a directx10 capable unit, preferably from EVGA such as the 8500GT with a passive heat sink. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130315 $59 after rebate.

EVGA is good because they give you the option to "step-up" to a better card within 90 days.

Vista home premium is quite good, and I like the media center application to watch tv on my pc.
Vista loves memory, at the current low ddr2-800 prices, get a 2x2gb kit. It should cost <$75 after rebate.
Costco has vista home premium upgrade available for $85. That gives you a retail copy which includes support and easy transfer to a new mobo. For $10, you can get the 64 bit dvd if you want. There is a procedure to install an upgrade version without having the previous version installed.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007

returns high five :sol: