Reformat confused dowsnt have an os number

ltid88

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
basicly i did a reinstal,
windows vista home to xp home

now i look at the pc and instead of being normal and saying windows xp home oem x64 ver

it says only windows xp home

and when i try instal my gfx drivers (the only one to dl) gts 250sli it says sorry needs operating system 64x to instal,

so i can not play anything cause my graphics suck please help

Sounds as though you didn't use the original installation CD. I'm confused at to where Vista comes into this - did you have XP Home before or Vista? I can't be sure but I didn't think XP Home came in a 64 bit version - I'm sure someone will know.[/#000ff]

The screenshot of your System>General tab shows XP Pro - if you have a download of Home I'm surprised it evenpassed Activation because chances are, it's not a legitimate copy. For that reason alone, I should stop posting advice but giving the benefit of the doubt, I'll just say you won't get that graphics card to work in an x86 or 32 bit systemn, which is what you have now.

My best advice here would be to scrap what you have there and upgrade to Windows 7 64bit - because Vista was useless wasn't a good reason to go back in time in your circumstances. It would be valid for everyday office uses but you need 64bit and the only way you'll get that ius by going back to Vista or moving forward to W7 - and a legal copy of it.

ltid88

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010

i got vista but it is vista basic so you can only instal one time then it wont let ya have again, so im stuck and skint no cah to buy any ever, i wil never be able to afford windows again i cant leave front room(medical)

You could use a free Linux Operating System. Using the PC you're on now, go to http://www.pclinuxos.com and download it, bun it to CD and run it as a LiveCD without needing to install it until you're sure you like it. Many others are available and there will be good advice and help on the Linux Board in Tom's Hardware Forum.

Can we establish a few facts here?

From what you say here, it leaves the impression that you had XP Pro 64 bit in your machine and bought Vista, hated it, went back to XP Pro 64 bit using your original key and now you don't have the correct graphics diver.

Is this correct?

You're right as far as went back to XP but he only went back to XP Home 32 bit from a download. Seems that's when things started to go toes up.