Sign in with
Your question
Solved

You require permission to make changes to this file

Last response: in Windows 7
August 26, 2011 12:13:03 PM

hi,all, I am trying to move a .dll file from one of my folders in Downloads to Program Files(x86)/some_folder, but it keeps showing "you require permission from my_machine/Owner to make changes to this file", so i cant finish the job; i tried take owner ship of the dll file, but it didn't work, so whats going on?

here is what i tried:

First of all, I changed the own ship of the .dll file located in Download folder to my_machine/Owner(full control), and then i changed the own ship of program files(x86)/destination folder to my_machine/Owner(full control) as well; then tried to move the dll file to the destination, failed.

Then i turned off the UAC, tried but failed again.

the err msg is still "you require permission from my_machine/Owner to make changes to this file".

cheers

daiyue

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
August 26, 2011 12:43:12 PM

are you running an antivirus? check that it hasn't locked the file in place.
August 26, 2011 12:56:45 PM

AntiZig said:
are you running an antivirus? check that it hasn't locked the file in place.

yes, i am running avira, and it detected the dll file as a trojan, it also show a msg "access denied", meaning it cant access the file as well, i guess

cheers
Related resources
August 26, 2011 1:07:56 PM

Try running command prompt as administrator and moving/deleting it with commands. That or try restarting into safe mode and see if it lets you do what you want then.
August 26, 2011 1:20:33 PM

Simple. Try this, download Ultimate Windows Tweaker utility. Open the program then go to Additional Tweaks then under the "Useful Context menu for files and folders" label tick the " show Take ownership (Files only)" option and click apply button. After doing this right click the file you want to move. You can see "take ownership"option click it, now your file will be unlocked move or delete the file as per your wish. Hopes this helped you..... :) 
a b $ Windows 7
August 26, 2011 3:50:42 PM

or you can stop downloading pirated software and buy a legit copy, then you won't have to move files that are locked down with false positives by av software
August 26, 2011 5:36:22 PM

AntiZig said:
or you can stop downloading pirated software and buy a legit copy, then you won't have to move files that are locked down with false positives by av software

yes, the file was locked down by av, and when i ignore the dll file forever, it now can be moved/copied.

cheers
September 1, 2011 11:56:39 PM

Best answer selected by daiyue.
!