Recomened me a good mouse

virux

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
Hey,

I need me a new mouse. I have been using the same Logitech MX700 with 0 trouble for years and years. It came with a wireless keyboard but that has long since died. had trouble with that since day one but that's a whole different story. anywho. the paint is long worn off ye ole' mx700. that was ok since its cosmetic but now the now the slick feet from the bottom are starting to go.

I use this pc for mainly gaming but a lot of other stuff too(internet, email, Photoshop, dvd encoding, you name it).

I'm not totally opposed to a corded mouse as I read this is the only way to go for gaming. though I've been using a wireless since forever so who knows. maybe ignorance is bliss. right now i've come up with a few possibilitys...

ok first on the list is the Logitech MX Revolution. I read this is a great general purpose mouse but terrible for gaming. Lots of buttons, rechargeable which i really like. truthly most likely more buttons then id know what to do with. I dont think this is the right mouse for me but i got to list it being its the latist MX offered. anyone care to comment?

option 2: Logitech G7 Laser Cordless Mouse. I read this is actually a gamers grade wireless but has battery issues. Look and size look about right. button layout is almost identical to current minus 1 missing button. anyone using this puppy? kinda leaning to this one right now.

and lastly the Razer - Lachesis. Supposedly the Cadillac of gaming mice. is this puppy so great I can ignore the cord? kinda stiff price for a cord. I also read coming from a Logitech mouse I may not like the feel of these. all that can be over looked if the performance is superior.

Right now I'm leaning more toward the G7 but i don't want to count out the lachesis. I just hate the idea of a cord. but 4000dpi is definatly worth while. However I'm open to any other suggestions. you may notice 2 of 3 are Logitech's that only because i've used them for a very long time and have had good luck with them. I am open to any other brands. is the G7 still even made? oddly newegg dosen't sell them any more which makes me wonder why?

guide me!

Thanks!

-V

gow87

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
try the logitech G9, i use mine for gaming and photoshop/illustrator work

the High DPI is a complete waste of time but with it comes increased accuracy. generally i dont set mine above 800dpi

gow87

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
oh and one more thing, it comes with replaceable grips... sounds pointless but having a "comfortable" grip and a "gaming" grip has its benefits. especially if you intend to spend hours using it. One thing i will say though is that its a very short mouse from front to back which is a bit strange to get used to, but once you do it's brilliant. not to mention the software allows for macro's and you can store user profiles in the mouse

LukeBird

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
Love my Logitech G5. Use that for gaming (mostly) and some CS3 work, mostly Photoshop, Fireworks & DreamWeaver. Good value, comfortable and good-looking. Can't ask for more! :)

After getting a G5 for my desktop PC, I just had to get another one for my laptop, even though it replaced a smaller Razer. The shape and button position on the G5 are much more comfortable for me, and I really like the tilting scroll wheel.

robertito

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
I have had a G7 for about 2 years now and love it. I went to it from a Piece O' S*** Dell ball mouse. The only problem I have found is that sometimes the mouse freaks out and flys all over the screen or barely moves at all if the batteries are low. Otherwhise It has served me well.

pip_seeker

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I use a logitek MX610 laser upgraded from a ball wireless IR.

You definately want to go laser and if you're use to wireless having a wired mouse is a bit tethered. Any logitech lazer wireless should suit your needs well.

While it is a pain to keep the batteries fresh it's only a minor inconvenience and well worth the freedom especially if you got big monitor realestate. If you only have a single small monitor then wired may not be to big a sacrifice.

chris312

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
The G5 is a great mouse, but make sure to get the blue (generation 2) one. The first one has a nasty groove mismatch in the mouse wheel that is really frustrating.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
I had a cordless mouse... don't remember what brand (Logitech or MS), anyway, for gaming it sucked. Things may have changed since that one (3 yrs ago??). But since then, it's been corded. The response for gaming is unmatched.

Besides... how far away from the computer do most people go with the mouse? The "tethering" aspect is a non-factor IMO, but to each his own.

iMAKEtheDEVIL CRY

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008
They don't make G7's anymore so thats why you couldn't see it on newegg.
But I Think you should have a look at the Cyber Snipa Stinger.It has a grippy surface but maintains a nice shape with 3200DPI.It also has a great price tag.

polarity

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2003
I've got MX700, MX1000 and the Lachesis.

The Lachesis is every bit as good as it's made out to be, and after using the 2 wireless mice for years the cord isn't a problem.

I've played a lot of BF2 on all my mice, and the Lachesis is a big improvement over the other 2.

I especially like the 'hold a button down and scroll' to change sensitivity thing, that has a lot more range and precision than the other push button options.

I've been pushing the sensitivity up since I got it and noticed that I can be a lot more accurate with just fingertip movements than I was using the whole mouse pad.

I'm still at 2000dpi. When I get the hang of the high sensitivity I'll make the step to 4000dpi and keep working my way up.

It's ambidextrous so one of the side buttons can be a bit tricky to hit, but that's mapped to change sensitivity, so it isn't something that needs to be hit quickly in game. I've got rifle, pistol, knife, grenades, medpacks and paddles mapped to the buttons, and it's real handy being able to switch weapons while running towards something, instead of having to stop moving to use the number keys to do it. I get a lot of revives while other medics are standing over a body trying to find the key for the paddles.

polarity

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2003
Also it did take me a week or so to get the hang of the Lachesis' shape after using the very ergonomically contoured, right hand only Logitech mice for a long time.

If you get one you will start off feeling like it's the worst thing you've ever had to push around a mouse pad, but it's real nice once you stop trying to hold it like the other mice. The slot in the side of the MX mice means you get used to holding on tight to push it's weight around, while the Lachesis is very lightweight, and you hardly have to grip it at all, which is good as the buttons are right where you'd be holding onto an MX.

It's worth getting a Razer mouse mat too, so you have space to set the sensitivity way down and do intricate stuff in Photoshop.

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
The blue G5 is great, the cords on logitech gaming mice are braided and better than normal cords. I have a G9 as well but it's sitting in a drawer somewhere the blue G5 just feels better.

I have an mx revolution too but I've found that the wheel slowly degrades and was near useless after a year. The MX 1000 is my favorite cordless mouse, and feels better than the revolution even when it's wheel was working.

Lag is cumulative, so if your monitor has low input lag you might not notice a little on the mouse but if your monitor has high input lag it can be compounded with a cordless mouse.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
i recently upgraded from the dell optical (wired) mouse that came with my pc. It was quite old and the plastic was visibly worn out from excessive use. I now use a logitech LX7 cordless optical mouse. I wasn't too sure about a wireless mouse because I've heard about the delay, but i haven't noticed any whatsoever, even in games. It's very responsive and much more accurate than my old mouse, which used to jump around the screen randomly. It sure is annoying when you're about to make a headshot with a sniper just to have the mouse mess up and make you shoot into the air, alerting all the enemies :)

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
I actualy have a Logitech MX Revolution and use it for heavy gaming. i havent had any issues with it at all from my mx 1000. i have been using it now for about a year. True its specs arent what people would say is a gaming mouse but im a big fps fan and this mouse is awsome IMO.

In the end the best feeling mouse i have ever used though my mx 1000 is defanitly my second fav out of all the mice i used.

People always talk about imput lag but i have a 30" LCD and a wireless mouse the only time i get anything resembling imput lag is when i crank graphics so high everything takes a second almost to move when i do, Course by that time im getting only a couple FPS and the game isnt playable anyways.

Dont worry about batterys like the mx1000 it takes a long ass time to drain them and only a few minutes to recharge them. btw wireless all they way ;) dont want that cord getting snagged on something in the middle of your epic battles to get you killed while you rip it from its obstruction :p has happened to me so many times thats why i went wireless. Well that and logitech finaly did wireless right with thier RF mice.

virux

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
Thx all. I actully ordered a G7 from amazon for $64 shipped. Does everything i'm looking for and seems to get good reviews. I'm just not ready to have a cord again.