Sign in with
Your question

Lost desktop icons & toolbar

Last response: in Windows XP
July 19, 2010 9:15:25 AM

On startup i have nothing but a blank screen ( with nothing but the HP invent default pic ) and have to enter via task manager to run anything....any ideas ?
July 19, 2010 9:24:22 AM

Sounds like a serious problem. Have you tried right clicking anywhere on the desktop and choosing Arrange Desktop Icons>Show Desktop Icons? Beyond that a registry problem could be at hand.
July 20, 2010 1:59:59 PM

Hiya...unfortunately there is no right working on the desktop....it does not look like being a quick fix..... does it....but i can work with it for now, then i shall have to buy another computer and copy some personal folders over. Thank you
Related resources
a b α HP
July 20, 2010 4:05:47 PM

Open the task manager-->new task-->explorer.exe-->that should bring everything back.

July 20, 2010 4:16:44 PM

Tried that ..... and still no desktop icons or taskbar.....but thanks for the help
July 20, 2010 4:29:05 PM

Hi,

After you log on to your computer press ctrl + shift + esc to start task manager, click File >> New Task and type regedit.exe

Windows Registry window will open up and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >> Software >> Microsoft >> Windows NT >> Current Version >> Winlogon once, but don’t expand it, Locate shell and change it value to explorer.exe, even if it is explorer.exe already retype it.

a b α HP
July 20, 2010 4:31:55 PM

Do you get the same thing in safe mode?

If yes, boot into safe mode with command prompt. At the prompt, type:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
and press enter. That will open the system restore points. You can roll back to before the problem started.
!