mvloft

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Hello,
I have dell dimension 4700 with seperate dvd drive ( jlms 1655) when I put the dvd in it it lits up and makes noise but does not read the dvd or cd. and the device manager shows that everything is working properly. please anyone help me with this thank you.. sincerely.. majid

mvloft

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009

It shows up in my computer. I tried to clean it with the lens cleaner but it spins and stops after few spins. I don't think the dvd-rom is bad because I haven't used it that much. I hope there is a way to fix this. Thnak for the rply.. Majid

Look at the cable plugged into it. If it's a thin but wider cable, it's IDE. If it's a real skinny cable, it's SATA. You can google them if you want a picture of them.

You can try the slave port on the IDE cable. Or move the cable to a secondary IDE slot on the mobo.

The fact that it shows up, and spins up tells me that it's connected properly. There isn't much else you can try other than moving the drive and cable. I gotta say, it sounds like it's dead.

mvloft

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009

Thanks for all the info. I will try it and check it out. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again

mvloft

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009

I also checked the BIos... when I looked at it the drive that dvd drive is on it it says( drive 2: PATA-0
controler: paralel ATA Port PATA-0: Rri IDE master... )
Also when I turn on my computer it say drive 0 failed..... Maybe this will give you more info.. Thanks again....sincerely Mjaid

mvloft

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009

I have already tried that but I will do it again to see if anything happens , if not probabaly the dvd drive is bad and I have to replace it. I haven't used it that much but I guess when they go bad they do. thanks again...