DDR dual channel...twice?

bgd73

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
I have confused myself again.
After deciding to stay with my 2.8e "anything but a dual channel cpu" setup, It occured to me I may want to fill in the last two memory slots with two more 512mb kingston so it would be 4x512 all exactly the same, until this system is deemed exctinct and so far behind I have to upgrade....

I am assuming at this point I will lose a bit of speed .memtest86 v3.4 for 45 minutes showed 2805MB/s on two sticks, not even close to an overheat (I have killed my memory on old sdram and memtest 86, going for the silent pc approach back in the wrong day) the ddr is spread smartly. I still do not want 1gb in each slot without ddr2 first...
Anyway, I really like the ddr spread out, hence no go for the gusto 1gb in each slot, lose xp and its 3gb weirdness with my total of four gb. I just want two GB with 4x512 kingston KVR ddr400(as if I could bury one GB with all the crazy things I do with my pc).

Is this a pro thing to do, or a newb waste of time?

I also run two twin ata100 hdd, with the pagefile dedicated etc etc to help things along.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Not the clearest question/post I have seen. If you are asking if it is a good idea to upgrade to 2GB of RAM, I would say yes assuming it is cheap enough.

bgd73

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
I did find a post exactly related out on the web, including my mobo . The user overclocked and had an undervolted error, but fixed to good after stepping it up.thanks for reply.

The intel controls the dual channel and memory mappings with northbridge. 4x512 on the 865pe is very nice, even overclocked, after stepping up the volts (of course)...I bet it even gets cooler, with even more memory.
So 4x512 it is, until seemingly the next century when all the babble about cpu and cores and sata has actually changed. :sarcastic:

I seem to remember a intel 233 on a mvp3 that really liked the four sticks as well....11 years ago..HMMMM.Big evolution kids. Very fast. :whistle:

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
You might be able to find 2 sticks if 1gb memory cheaper than 2 sticks of 512 memory. you could just run 2 new sticks if it's cheaper and still get 2gb of memory.