Sign in with
Your question

AMD Dual Core 4200+ never goes over 45% usage?

Last response: in CPUs
March 25, 2008 8:38:13 PM

Just wondering if anyone knew this exactly as I've been looking around and can't get a solid answer through researching it so I figured I would stop in here to some of the uber component gurus and find out.

I'm in the middle of installing Gears of War (just picked up a 8800gts (g92)), downloading 3dmark06 (dunno where I put it), and while I'm doing this, I am checking pcprobe for volt variations, AND I hit a few remote machines via ultraVNC for a few moments.

Everything is running equally as slow until I let something go.

Yet - my CPU , Memory, and Hard drive never seem to go past 40%.

Why then is everything so slow?

So am I really using both cores or, is it figuring both cores into that % math and never allowing my OS to hit that 2nd core?

Maybe I'm putting it wrong but for what it's worth - running xp pro sp2 with all the updates.

Thanks

S
March 25, 2008 8:41:18 PM

Hve you activated the multi-core function in the bios?
March 25, 2008 8:43:16 PM

it automatically registered the dual cores in my bios. a8n I believe...(they are all blending in my mind now)
Related resources
March 25, 2008 8:48:39 PM

Do a virus scan.BTW how much RAM do you have.
March 25, 2008 9:36:24 PM

Not sure what your asking.
Do you -want- to see both cores hit 100%?
To do that run Orthos.

Most AMD Optrons I have seen converting a DVD to Divx never use over 50% per core...but Divx does in fact use both cores.
March 26, 2008 10:56:48 AM

Well, basically, most applications as well as games cannot use more than one core. So basically what happens is when an application that doesn't support dual cores get loaded, only one of the two cores get used up, that equates to about 50%, which seems to tally with your question.

Like ZOldDude said, try Orthos. If it goes 100% there, your computer is working correctly, if not, then perhaps there's a problem somewhere.
March 26, 2008 11:34:26 AM

stridervm said:
Well, basically, most applications as well as games cannot use more than one core. So basically what happens is when an application that doesn't support dual cores get loaded, only one of the two cores get used up, that equates to about 50%, which seems to tally with your question.

Like ZOldDude said, try Orthos. If it goes 100% there, your computer is working correctly, if not, then perhaps there's a problem somewhere.

Correct. And you can cofigure Task Manager to show each core individually for processor utilization.
It's quite normal for a program to only hit one core and as a result you may have one core with high utilization and the other with low utilization.

If you can't get TaskMgr to show both cores seperate, then you may have an issue.
March 27, 2008 2:15:13 PM

Thanks, seems to be working fine. I guess some apps just don't go over 50% for some reason. Even games? But Orthos is working fine on it. Thanks.
!