Power Pools

To fill in the lull in discussion, here are some power pool ideas that
I've had floating around in my head for a while:

Elasticity
==========
Elastic Punch: ranged attack with a stretched-out fist animation, with
stun or knockdown/back as a secondary effect

Rubber Body: defense buff toggle with a stretchy, wavy body animation

Extended Reach: ranged object interaction, which allows you to open
doors, click glowies, trade with players, buy from contacts, etc.,
from a distance, without triggering aggro. Arm stretches out to the
object.

Bouncing: travel power similar to super jump, with a damage resistance
buff, and an inflated ball animation with your costume warped to fit

Super Senses
============
Radar Sense: inherent, adds a radar screen with dots for mobs (with
con color) and allies (maybe also a slight defense buff)

Perception: toggle that allows you to "see" weaknesses, giving you an
accurracy and damage buff

X-Ray Vision: toggle that turns walls, buildings, and other immobile
objects translucent, allowing you to see mobs and glowies ordinarily
hidden because of game geometry (but still within your normal sight
range)

Cosmic Awareness: inherent, automatically fills in all maps: zones,
hazards, indoor, instanced outdoor. Doesn't reveal mobs or glowies,
but shows usual map features (walls, water, location markers).

Gadgetry, aka Crafting :)
========
Improvement: inherent, allows you to combine enhancements in your
inventory, without having to slot them, so that you can trade/sell
them. Enhancements put in Tinkering aren't locked, and Tinkering can
take any enhancement, so adding slots to this power effectively
increases your overall enhancement inventory.

Tinkering: allows you to alter inspirations from one type to another.
Long animation interruptable, so not useful in the middle of a fight.
Success rate depends on your level, the type of tinkering (acc to rez
is harder than rez to acc), and the size of the inspiration.

Innovation: inherent, allows you to combine some number of training
enhancements to turn them into a DO of the same level. Success rate
depends on your level, enhancement level, and number of enhancements
you decide to use for materials.

Refinement: inherent, allows you to combine some number of DOs to turn
them into an SO of the same level. Succes rate similar to Innovation.

--
Nathan Sanders
The Startling Xipa, Justice Server

Nathan Sanders <ludling.DIE.SPAM@aol.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>To fill in the lull in discussion, here are some power pool ideas that
>I've had floating around in my head for a while:
>
>Elasticity
>==========
>Elastic Punch: ranged attack with a stretched-out fist animation, with
>stun or knockdown/back as a secondary effect
>
>Rubber Body: defense buff toggle with a stretchy, wavy body animation
>
>Extended Reach: ranged object interaction, which allows you to open
>doors, click glowies, trade with players, buy from contacts, etc.,
>from a distance, without triggering aggro. Arm stretches out to the
>object.
>
>Bouncing: travel power similar to super jump, with a damage resistance
>buff, and an inflated ball animation with your costume warped to fit

Been suggested to the Devs probably hundreds of times.
Will _never_ go in because it's so very obviously based on Reed Richards
of the Fantastic Four and would get them successfully sued.

Just as there will never be a web swinging power no matter how many
times idiot spiderman fans "suggest" it.
[Yes, idiot, because they suggest things that are owned by others even
while Cryptic is being sued for theoretically using others owned
property.]

>Super Senses
>============
>Radar Sense: inherent, adds a radar screen with dots for mobs (with
>con color) and allies (maybe also a slight defense buff)

>Perception: toggle that allows you to "see" weaknesses, giving you an
>accurracy and damage buff
>
>X-Ray Vision: toggle that turns walls, buildings, and other immobile
>objects translucent, allowing you to see mobs and glowies ordinarily
>hidden because of game geometry (but still within your normal sight
>range)
>
>Cosmic Awareness: inherent, automatically fills in all maps: zones,
>hazards, indoor, instanced outdoor. Doesn't reveal mobs or glowies,
>but shows usual map features (walls, water, location markers).

As others have said this could be bad since it can be very helpful to
see where you have and have not been already.

Now if it could _temporarily_ reveal the map while the power is active
(obviously as a toggle not a click) that would be a whole different
story and would have no downsides.

Xocyll

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:

> Nathan Sanders <ludling.DIE.SPAM@aol.com> looked up from reading the
> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
> say:
>
> >To fill in the lull in discussion, here are some power pool ideas that
> >I've had floating around in my head for a while:
> >
> >Elasticity
>
> Been suggested to the Devs probably hundreds of times.
> Will _never_ go in because it's so very obviously based on Reed Richards
> of the Fantastic Four and would get them successfully sued.

Enh, Plastic Man pre-dates Mr. Fantastic by two decades (1941, 1961),
so if anyone had a right to sue, it'd be DC or Jack Cole. (Though I
wouldn't be surprised to find out that some other stretchy superhero
predates Plastic Man, though he is the earliest of the most popular
ones.)

Sticking to the Fantastic Four, why hasn't Marvel sued over
invisibility, force fields, fire blasters, flight, and stone tankers?
(Of course, I might have missed some of their hodge-podge of
characters that are supposedly vulnerable to copyright violation in
CoH, so they may have already tried to sue over some of these.)

> Just as there will never be a web swinging power no matter how many
> times idiot spiderman fans "suggest" it.
> [Yes, idiot, because they suggest things that are owned by others even
> while Cryptic is being sued for theoretically using others owned
> property.]

Marvel owns the rights to all characters who swing from ropes?

Someone needs to have a chat with Tarzan and Bruce Wayne, and probably
even the Three Musketeers...

> >Cosmic Awareness: inherent, automatically fills in all maps: zones,
> >hazards, indoor, instanced outdoor. Doesn't reveal mobs or glowies,
> >but shows usual map features (walls, water, location markers).
>
> As others have said this could be bad since it can be very helpful to
> see where you have and have not been already.

I agree.

> Now if it could _temporarily_ reveal the map while the power is active
> (obviously as a toggle not a click) that would be a whole different
> story and would have no downsides.

That would be another way to handle it.

Nathan

--
Nathan Sanders
The Startling Xipa, Justice Server
level 34 Radiation/Radiation Magic Defender

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 00:10:21 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> scribed
into the ether:

>Nathan Sanders <ludling.DIE.SPAM@aol.com> looked up from reading the
>entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>say:
>
>>To fill in the lull in discussion, here are some power pool ideas that
>>I've had floating around in my head for a while:
>>
>>Elasticity
>>==========
>>Elastic Punch: ranged attack with a stretched-out fist animation, with
>>stun or knockdown/back as a secondary effect
>>
>>Rubber Body: defense buff toggle with a stretchy, wavy body animation
>>
>>Extended Reach: ranged object interaction, which allows you to open
>>doors, click glowies, trade with players, buy from contacts, etc.,
>>from a distance, without triggering aggro. Arm stretches out to the
>>object.
>>
>>Bouncing: travel power similar to super jump, with a damage resistance
>>buff, and an inflated ball animation with your costume warped to fit
>
>Been suggested to the Devs probably hundreds of times.
>Will _never_ go in because it's so very obviously based on Reed Richards
>of the Fantastic Four and would get them successfully sued.

Lots and lots of comic book heroes with blades coming out of their wrist,
are there?

Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 00:10:21 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> scribed
>into the ether:
>
>>Nathan Sanders <ludling.DIE.SPAM@aol.com> looked up from reading the
>>entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>>say:
>>
>>>To fill in the lull in discussion, here are some power pool ideas that
>>>I've had floating around in my head for a while:
>>>
>>>Elasticity
>>>==========
>>>Elastic Punch: ranged attack with a stretched-out fist animation, with
>>>stun or knockdown/back as a secondary effect
>>>
>>>Rubber Body: defense buff toggle with a stretchy, wavy body animation
>>>
>>>Extended Reach: ranged object interaction, which allows you to open
>>>doors, click glowies, trade with players, buy from contacts, etc.,
>>>from a distance, without triggering aggro. Arm stretches out to the
>>>object.
>>>
>>>Bouncing: travel power similar to super jump, with a damage resistance
>>>buff, and an inflated ball animation with your costume warped to fit
>>
>>Been suggested to the Devs probably hundreds of times.
>>Will _never_ go in because it's so very obviously based on Reed Richards
>>of the Fantastic Four and would get them successfully sued.
>
>Lots and lots of comic book heroes with blades coming out of their wrist,
>are there?

Except that the blades in COH aren't observably coming out of the body
as they are in wolverine.

Blades/claws on hands for fighting/climbing predate Logan the X-man by
_centuries_ if not millennia.

Those claws (on a coh hero) can be natural (like logan's), mechanical
(coming from gauntlets), magical (created out of thin air at will), etc.

A stretchy man on the other hand is a bit harder to NOT be a direct copy
of Reed Richards or Mr Plastic.
More importantly you'd have a hell of a time convincing a judge that it
wasn't a copy and you weren't infringing on someone else's
copyright/trademark.

Xocyll

Nathan Sanders <ludling.DIE.SPAM@aol.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>
>> Nathan Sanders <ludling.DIE.SPAM@aol.com> looked up from reading the
>> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>> say:
>>
>> >To fill in the lull in discussion, here are some power pool ideas that
>> >I've had floating around in my head for a while:
>> >
>> >Elasticity
>>
>> Been suggested to the Devs probably hundreds of times.
>> Will _never_ go in because it's so very obviously based on Reed Richards
>> of the Fantastic Four and would get them successfully sued.
>
>Enh, Plastic Man pre-dates Mr. Fantastic by two decades (1941, 1961),
>so if anyone had a right to sue, it'd be DC or Jack Cole. (Though I
>wouldn't be surprised to find out that some other stretchy superhero
>predates Plastic Man, though he is the earliest of the most popular
>ones.)

Forgot about him, but that just makes it worse.

>Sticking to the Fantastic Four, why hasn't Marvel sued over
>invisibility, force fields, fire blasters, flight, and stone tankers?
>(Of course, I might have missed some of their hodge-podge of
>characters that are supposedly vulnerable to copyright violation in
>CoH, so they may have already tried to sue over some of these.)

Because invisibility, force fields, fire blasters, flight etc aren't
owned by them.

Specific combinations of powers+costume are owned, but those powers are
far too generic.

Last I checked Ben Grim wasn't manifesting stone powers, he just looked
odd and was very strong and tough.
He certainly didn't seem to ever change armor/look to deflect other
kinds of damage.

Johnny - fire powers that are quite unlike those of a fire blaster (far
more versatile) + flight+ whatever.

Even then - fire using super beings are out of ancient mythology;
Fire gods, efreeti, fire elementals, demons, etc.

Flight - that one predates The FF by a few Millennia.

Invisibility - also covered in mythology and granted by items in many
cases.
Perhaps you've heard of "The One ring"?
Or the helmet that granted invisibility from Greek Myth.
Or the cloak of invisibility from Celtic mythology?

>> Just as there will never be a web swinging power no matter how many
>> times idiot spiderman fans "suggest" it.
>> [Yes, idiot, because they suggest things that are owned by others even
>> while Cryptic is being sued for theoretically using others owned
>> property.]
>
>Marvel owns the rights to all characters who swing from ropes?

Are you blind or just stupid?
What part of "never be a web swinging power" didn't you manage to
understand?

>Someone needs to have a chat with Tarzan and Bruce Wayne, and probably
>even the Three Musketeers...

No, someone (you) needs to learn to read what people actually write.

But for the sake of it, when was the last time you saw Tarzan doing vine
swinging DOWNTOWN in a city?
So a vine-swinging power would work where again? Eden maybe?
Ooo, that's a useful travel power.

When has Batman ever swung from building to building to building as a
method of TRAVELLING?
The existence of the grappling hook does not in any way equal
spiderman's web slinging travel.

Nor does it change the fact that idiot spiderman fans kept on suggesting
"web slinging" as a travel power.

>> >Cosmic Awareness: inherent, automatically fills in all maps: zones,
>> >hazards, indoor, instanced outdoor. Doesn't reveal mobs or glowies,
>> >but shows usual map features (walls, water, location markers).
>>
>> As others have said this could be bad since it can be very helpful to
>> see where you have and have not been already.
>
>I agree.
>
>> Now if it could _temporarily_ reveal the map while the power is active
>> (obviously as a toggle not a click) that would be a whole different
>> story and would have no downsides.
>
>That would be another way to handle it.

Another would be if it filled in the map, but in a different color.

Xocyll

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 19:12:00 GMT, Nathan Sanders
<ludling.DIE.SPAM@aol.com> wrote:

>To fill in the lull in discussion, here are some power pool ideas that
>I've had floating around in my head for a while:
>
>Elasticity
>==========
>Elastic Punch: ranged attack with a stretched-out fist animation, with
>stun or knockdown/back as a secondary effect
>
>Rubber Body: defense buff toggle with a stretchy, wavy body animation
>
>Extended Reach: ranged object interaction, which allows you to open
>doors, click glowies, trade with players, buy from contacts, etc.,
>from a distance, without triggering aggro. Arm stretches out to the
>object.
>
>Bouncing: travel power similar to super jump, with a damage resistance
>buff, and an inflated ball animation with your costume warped to fit

the animations would make it difficult, not to mention how useful it
would be in a PvE combat oriented mmorpg

>Super Senses
>============
>Radar Sense: inherent, adds a radar screen with dots for mobs (with
>con color) and allies (maybe also a slight defense buff)
>
>Perception: toggle that allows you to "see" weaknesses, giving you an
>accurracy and damage buff
>
>X-Ray Vision: toggle that turns walls, buildings, and other immobile
>objects translucent, allowing you to see mobs and glowies ordinarily
>hidden because of game geometry (but still within your normal sight
>range)
>
>Cosmic Awareness: inherent, automatically fills in all maps: zones,
>hazards, indoor, instanced outdoor. Doesn't reveal mobs or glowies,
>but shows usual map features (walls, water, location markers).

I think for a playability standpoint these should be toggle powers

>Gadgetry, aka Crafting :)
>========
>Improvement: inherent, allows you to combine enhancements in your
>inventory, without having to slot them, so that you can trade/sell
>them. Enhancements put in Tinkering aren't locked, and Tinkering can
>take any enhancement, so adding slots to this power effectively
>increases your overall enhancement inventory.
>
>Tinkering: allows you to alter inspirations from one type to another.
>Long animation interruptable, so not useful in the middle of a fight.
>Success rate depends on your level, the type of tinkering (acc to rez
>is harder than rez to acc), and the size of the inspiration.
>
>Innovation: inherent, allows you to combine some number of training
>enhancements to turn them into a DO of the same level. Success rate
>depends on your level, enhancement level, and number of enhancements
>you decide to use for materials.
>
>Refinement: inherent, allows you to combine some number of DOs to turn
>them into an SO of the same level. Succes rate similar to Innovation.

and this would bring the monotonus parts of other mmo's to CoH

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:

> Nathan Sanders <ludling.DIE.SPAM@aol.com> looked up from reading the
> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
> say:
>
> >Sticking to the Fantastic Four, why hasn't Marvel sued over
> >invisibility, force fields, fire blasters, flight, and stone tankers?
> >(Of course, I might have missed some of their hodge-podge of
> >characters that are supposedly vulnerable to copyright violation in
> >CoH, so they may have already tried to sue over some of these.)
>
> Because invisibility, force fields, fire blasters, flight etc aren't
> owned by them.

Marvel doesn't own stretching, either. Otherwise:

* DC couldn't have created Elastic Lad, Elongated Man, Madame Rouge,
Shadow Thief, or Rubber Duck;
* Hanna Barbera couldn't have created Spaghetti Man; and
* Pixar couldn't have created Elastigirl.

I'm sure Filmation, Image, and Harvey Comics also created stretchy
superheroes at some point in time, as well.

And this isn't even counting all the shape-shifters (Martian
Manhunter, Chameleon Boy, etc.) who include stretching as part of
their power set.

> Specific combinations of powers+costume are owned, but those powers are
> far too generic.

So is stretching. Even specialized instances of stretching---like
stretching hair---isn't copyrightable (Medusa at Marvel, Godiva at DC).

> >> Just as there will never be a web swinging power no matter how many
> >> times idiot spiderman fans "suggest" it.
> >> [Yes, idiot, because they suggest things that are owned by others even
> >> while Cryptic is being sued for theoretically using others owned
> >> property.]
> >
> >Marvel owns the rights to all characters who swing from ropes?
>
> Are you blind or just stupid?

What possible constructive use is there to bringing insults into the
discussion? Seriously, chill out and have fun. This is a internet
forum for the disucssion of a superhero computer game!

> What part of "never be a web swinging power" didn't you manage to
> understand?

"Web". Why would the swingline material matter at all in the game?
Color it the same white/grey as Web Grenade, and no one will care what
the swingline is made of.

> But for the sake of it, when was the last time you saw Tarzan doing vine
> swinging DOWNTOWN in a city?

When's the last time you saw...

....Superman get stuck on a rooftop awning while flying around
Metropolis?

....the Flash get stuck inside an open-air bus stop while running
around Central City?

....the Hulk get jostled out of the way by a single pedestrian out for
a stroll?

....someone pull out an assault rifle or battle axe the size of their
torso out of thin air?

....200 ninjas fit into a 5'x5' space so they could all be blown up at
the same time by half a dozen trip mines?

....superheroes take the subway on a daily basis in costume?

....superheores lose influence because they got a tan, or replaced
their dark blue belt with a slightly darker blue belt?

CoH isn't exactly steeped in reality, or even the superhero version of
reality. I'd have no problem, in the context of CoH, with a
jungle-based character swinging around King's Row. My disbelief is
already suspended well beyond that little nugget of unreality.

> When has Batman ever swung from building to building to building as a
> method of TRAVELLING?

While Batman doesn't travel *exclusively* by swinging, but he does do
it on occassion. Numerous other heroes (Robin, Nightwing, Daredevil,
Black Widow, etc.) do as well.

> The existence of the grappling hook does not in any way equal
> spiderman's web slinging travel.

Who was talking about "slinging"? You mentioned "swinging", and
that's what I was talking about.

Typo?

Nathan

--

Nathan Sanders wrote:

> More likely, they either didn't think about it to begin wth, had
> problems animating it, had higher priorities, or couldn't fit it into
> the structure of the game (building an entire power pool around it,
> for example). Fear of copyright violation is just absurd, since you
> can't copyright swinging from ropes.

FWIW they have discussed swinging as a travel power in the past, and said it
was too hard to do right. The makers of the recent Spiderman video games had
to spend a lot of effort on making it work, and their whole product was built
around it. They didn't have to deal with many of the constraints CoH's
programmers would have to work with. The CoH team can't afford to devote the
resources that would be required.

--
Dennis F. Heffernan CoH: Venture (Virtue) hefferman@comcast.net
#include <disclaim.h> MS Messenger: Venture

"And I say now these kittens, they do not get trained/As we did in the days
when Victoria reigned!" -- T.S. Eliot, "Gus, the Theatre Cat"

In article <DeydnUYlmq_H303fRVn-sg@comcast.com>,
Dennis Francis Heffernan <hefferman@comcast.net> wrote:

> Nathan Sanders wrote:
>
> > More likely, they either didn't think about it to begin wth, had
> > problems animating it, had higher priorities, or couldn't fit it into
> > the structure of the game (building an entire power pool around it,
> > for example). Fear of copyright violation is just absurd, since you
> > can't copyright swinging from ropes.
>
> FWIW they have discussed swinging as a travel power in the past, and said it
> was too hard to do right. The makers of the recent Spiderman video games had
> to spend a lot of effort on making it work, and their whole product was built
> around it. They didn't have to deal with many of the constraints CoH's
> programmers would have to work with. The CoH team can't afford to devote the
> resources that would be required.

Makes sense. Capes didn't get released until later, and things like
hair and tails have yet to be made flexible. These sorts of animation
issues are difficult to code and aren't nearly as pressing as actual
gameplay issues. With a swinging travel power, you'd need both the
animation and the gameplay, and I can see why it'd be too difficult to
even bother with.

Nathan

--

"Angel" <Angela7422@Yahoo.com> wrote in

> What does IIRC mean?

IIRC -> (I)f (I) (R)emember (C)orrectly.
AFAIK -> (A)s (F)ar (A)s (I) (K)now
IMHO -> (I)n (M)y (H)umble (O)pinion

RTFM -> (R)ead (T)he (F)riggin (M)anual

OP -> (O)riginal (P)oster

Angel

"J Anlee" <janlee@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> "Angel" <Angela7422@Yahoo.com> wrote in
>
>> What does IIRC mean?
>>

> IIRC -> (I)f (I) (R)emember (C)orrectly.

Thank you, as far as the abbreviations below, I already knew about except
for RTFM, never came across that one before.

Dennis Francis Heffernan <hefferman@comcast.net> wrote in

> Long overdue, between the piss-poor attitude and the fact
> that, IIRC, you
> don't even play this game any more.

I am not defending his use of the vularity, but Xocyll was (is) a long
memeber of the forum and newsgroup.

He was here when this grouop was part of alt.games.rpg

His discussion of scrapper and tanker builds have been consice and
(sometimes) dramatic but he has always been thorough and dirsct about
the information he was dissemenating.

And, this will probably be, the last time I defend anyone on the
Internet.

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in

> Has anyone else encountered the "enhanced" mission maps? I just
> got one on J-M's first indoor mission. Shows details as you unfog
> it.

I really appreciate it in sewer missions.

I just wish they would FIX the second/third/etc floor mapping BUG that
is STILL there.

Before you ask:

Indoor Mission, Office Complex:
Go to the seoncd floor (via elevator) and start to wander around. Open
the map to see what has been covered and only see the current area you
are IN, not WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN!

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 21:27:28 -0400, "Angel" <Angela7422@Yahoo.com> scribed
into the ether:

>"J Anlee" <janlee@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>> "Angel" <Angela7422@Yahoo.com> wrote in
>>
>>> What does IIRC mean?
>>>

>> IIRC -> (I)f (I) (R)emember (C)orrectly.
>
>Thank you, as far as the abbreviations below, I already knew about except
>for RTFM, never came across that one before.

Not one you'll often encounter here, since TFM is hopelessly out of date.

Nathan Sanders <ludling.DIE.SPAM@aol.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>
>[snip pointless vulgarities]
>
>> >Did you not write "swinging" and "power"? That's what I read. Do you
>> >think that the "w" and lack of plural was my delusion?
>>
>> *****************************************************************************
>> **** Just as there will never be a web swinging power no matter how many ****
>> **** times idiot spiderman fans "suggest" it. ****
>> *****************************************************************************
>
>Like I said, "swinging" and "power". I'm not disputing "web" at all,
>but I do think "web" is essentially irrelevant to what Cryptic is
>remotely likely to consider coding (see below).

You have disputed "web" from your very first reply and you have ignored
it in every reply since.

How on earth can a rational human being see SPIDERMAN and WEB SWINGING
POWER in the same sentence and utterly ignore WEB as though it's somehow
irrelevant?

How on earth can someone take a statement that the Cryptic Devs will
never add a power that duplicates a MARVEL PROPERTY, SPIDERMAN no matter
how much SPIDERMAN FANS want it, and turn that into a statement that the
Devs will never add any swinging power of any kind?

You have steadfastly refused to read what was actually written.

Don't bother replying, because frankly i've had enough of your lunacy.

Xocyll

J Anlee wrote:

> I am not defending his use of the vularity, but Xocyll was (is) a long
> memeber of the forum and newsgroup.

He's also for a very long time dwelt in an intestinally-based reality. He
repeatedly accuses the devs of doing things they didn't do or of not doing
things they did do.