Didnt Navis say merger would be easy??

news:jzwick3-E089D4.11065524012005@news1.west.earthlink.net...
> He was wrong.
>
> Today's news:
>
> Cingular Wireless Loses $497M
>

> http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050124/earns_cingular_7.html
>
> Likely to be worse this quarter as the costs of laying folks off hits
> home.

Why does easy equate to cheap in your trollish eyes?

Alan

"steve" <reply@news.group> wrote in message
> In article <jzwick3-E089D4.11065524012005@news1.west.earthlink.net>,
> Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> > http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050124/earns_cingular_7.html
>
> There is no mention of the merger being easier or harder than Navas
> said. In fact Navas is not mentioned. Was that the correct link?

Please don't feed the trolls.

Jack Zwick wrote:
> He was wrong.
>
> Today's news:
>
> Cingular Wireless Loses $497M
>

> http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050124/earns_cingular_7.html
>
> Likely to be worse this quarter as the costs of laying folks off hits
> home.

I actually think it's good that Cingular is spending money to now
"improve the state of networks". I have more respect for Cingular
willing to take some of those expenses to improve the quality for us
customers than waiting "until a more opportune time to incur those
expenses."

While it does appear to be *easier* than many past integrations, that
does not mean that it is simple. I try to imagine the Cingular orange
and AT&T Wireless blue networks much like grids of roads on the area in
which they cover. While they both use the same technologies, it's like
2 road networks with traffic flowing in the same direction (for example,
we drive on the right side of the road, while many nations drive on the
left side). Even though they are the same technology, the bigger issue
than unrestricted access to each other is the fact that a smooth traffic
flow is needed. However, it's not as easy to just turning blue networks
orange by changing and ID. Cellular towers, no matter what the
technology, are strategically placed, timed, and spaced with each other.
In some areas, where the number of stations may double, the new
stations must be "calibrated and synchronized" with the current system.
If this is not done, handoff become difficult, if not impossible, and
renders much of the system to a degraded quality as the result.

I would rather see Cingular take more time and be sure the job is done
right than have a FAST but buggy fix for the situation.

BTW, I have to agree with the other poster that replied...I didn't see
Navas mentioned in that article, nor did I see any mentions of the
technical issues of the mergers, such as programming requirements for
the billing systems, nor mapping of cell locations.

TH

In <jzwick3-E089D4.11065524012005@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Mon, 24 Jan
2005 17:07:03 GMT, Jack "FUDMEISTER" Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Didnt Navis say merger would be easy??

Nope, and you know it, since I've pointed out this particular
mischaracterization previously.

What I actually wrote

<http://groups.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=Iutgd.2064%24_3.27393%40typ...>

From: John Navas
Newsgroups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws
Subject: Re: Going from ATTWS to Cingular

Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:39:20 GMT
The number of users (subscribers) is largely irrelevant -- what matters
is the number (one) and type of (compatible) back office systems. This
integration actually looks to be easier than prior integrations.

Which part of that don't you understand? Shall we start with "This"?

0 for 1

>He was wrong.

Nope. What I predicted has been coming to pass.
<http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=77321>
The man largely responsible for melding the two companies’ networks
into the nation’s biggest wireless phone service says it’s going
well, although it will be years before the combination is complete.

Cingular Network Services President Ed Reynolds says he’s glad for
one thing, though: that he isn’t responsible for the industry’s other
mega-deal, last week’s combination of Sprint and Nextel, which he
predicts could be fraught with technological problems.

At a recent wireless industry conference in San Diego, Reynolds sat
down with Cox Newspapers’ Bob Keefe to talk about the Cingular-AT&T
integration. Here’s what he had to say, edited for clarity.

So where does the integration stand?

It’s going remarkably well. We did an awful lot of planning work in
the eight months between announcement and close. The assumptions we
made in our planning have turned out pretty much on target. We
haven’t seen any big uh-ohs.

This has been called the biggest integration of its kind. In what
way?

Just the mass of it. The orange side (Cingular) had about 23,000 cell
sites and the blue side (AT&T) had about 25,000 to 26,000. You’re
talking about 48,000 to 49,000 cell sites we have to meld together.
It’s a huge undertaking.

Obviously a big part of your challenge is making this a seamless
experience for customers from both companies. How are you all trying
to do that?

The way we do that ... happens behind the scenes. We do all the
activation on a single set of billing systems. We use a single set of
support platforms -- voice mail and that sort of stuff.

Right now you all basically address that by allowing customers to
roam between the old AT&T and Cingular systems, making it seem like a
single, cohesive network. But the goal is to have one seamless
network with all the same technology, right? When will that happen?

We’ll probably be halfway through physically integrating the networks
by the end of (2005). We won’t make much progress in the first half,
because a lot of that time (will be spent) planning and getting
equipment out there. We’ll probably move to 80 percent (complete) by
midyear of (2006) and be completely finished by the end of ’06.

Have you lost any customers yet because of the Cingular-AT&T
transition?

We’ve actually gained. I’m not sure I can give any specifics, but
we’ve had several big enterprise (commercial) customer wins just in
the last few weeks. Putting the two companies together gives us the
network clout and the business clout ... that nobody else has.

[MORE]

0 for 2

>Today's news:
>
>Cingular Wireless Loses $497M
>
>http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050124/earns_cingular_7.html
>
>Likely to be worse this quarter as the costs of laying folks off hits
>home.

Cost has nothing to do with "easy".

Regardless, no one but you is surprised by the financials, which were
forecast. <http://www.cingular.com/about/latest_news/04_02_17>

The boards of Cingular and AT&T Wireless have approved the merger
agreement. SBC Communications and BellSouth have committed funding to
Cingular for the all cash deal. Funding requirements for SBC will be
approximately $25 billion and for BellSouth, approximately $16
billion. Cingular expects the combined operations will generate
positive free cash flow in 2005. Both SBC and BellSouth expect to
have some dilution to GAAP and cash earnings per share in 2005 and
2006. Cash earnings per share for both SBC and BellSouth are expected
to be accretive in 2007. GAAP earnings per share for BellSouth are
expected to accretive in 2008 and accretive for SBC in 2007.

0 for 3

--
Best regards,
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>

"A little learning is a dangerous thing." [Alexander Pope]
"It is better to sit in silence and appear ignorant,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." [Mark Twain]

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)