Costco's tv. Which one?

Hi,

I am planning to buy a HDTV in very near future. I look at the Costco site
and found these TVs. Which one is better?

1- Philips Ambilight, LCD, 42", HDTV-ready, resolution 1366x768, on sale for
$3000
2- JVC, plasma, 42", build in HDTV tuner, 1024x768, $3000
3- Pioneer, plasma, 43", HDHV-ready with media box, 1024x768, $3000
4- Maxent, plasma, 50", HDTV-ready, 1366x768, $3000

As you can see, they are all $3,000. Maxent is 50"

Thanks,

Jon
9 answers Last reply
More about costco

    better vs what?
    only those makes & models?
    only flat panel types?
    compared to other better makes and models of all types?
    I truthfully wouldn't buy my HD at costco or the like, nor would I
    consider buying any of those unless they were sub $2200

    If Ii had to choose between only those I would buy the Philips if I had
    a STB I was going to use, or the JVC if I was going to use OTA or cable.

    --
    charper1, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US

    Thanks.

    Best flat panel, HD, $3,000 price range. I have cable but may get Dish
    Network. Connecting my laptop is a plus. I rather buy it locally for ease of
    return, in case.

    On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 22:43:09 -0500, "Jon" <aaa@bbb.ccc> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am planning to buy a HDTV in very near future. I look at the Costco site
    >and found these TVs. Which one is better?
    >
    >1- Philips Ambilight, LCD, 42", HDTV-ready, resolution 1366x768, on sale for
    >$3000
    >2- JVC, plasma, 42", build in HDTV tuner, 1024x768, $3000
    >3- Pioneer, plasma, 43", HDHV-ready with media box, 1024x768, $3000
    >4- Maxent, plasma, 50", HDTV-ready, 1366x768, $3000
    >
    >As you can see, they are all $3,000. Maxent is 50"
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Jon

    I bought the Pioneer. Love it. Have fun getting it home, though.

    Jon wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am planning to buy a HDTV in very near future. I look at the Costco site
    > and found these TVs. Which one is better?
    >
    > 1- Philips Ambilight, LCD, 42", HDTV-ready, resolution 1366x768, on sale for
    > $3000
    > 2- JVC, plasma, 42", build in HDTV tuner, 1024x768, $3000
    > 3- Pioneer, plasma, 43", HDHV-ready with media box, 1024x768, $3000
    > 4- Maxent, plasma, 50", HDTV-ready, 1366x768, $3000
    >
    > As you can see, they are all $3,000. Maxent is 50"

    I probably wouldn't buy any of those, though the Philips might be
    interesting. Go into your local Costco store - they have quite a few
    different models and technologies in stock. $3000 seems like a lot for
    those sets. Costco tends to carry last year's models, but that sounds
    like this year's pricing. Do some comparisons with your local Best Buy
    or Circuit City just to keep them honest.

    I bought my 43" DLP at Circuit City a year and a half ago for less than
    $3000. If I were buying the same set today, I'd expect it to come in
    under $2000, perhaps well under.

    "Jon" <aaa@bbb.ccc> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am planning to buy a HDTV in very near future. I look at the Costco site
    > and found these TVs. Which one is better?
    >
    > 1- Philips Ambilight, LCD, 42", HDTV-ready, resolution 1366x768, on sale
    > for $3000
    > 2- JVC, plasma, 42", build in HDTV tuner, 1024x768, $3000
    > 3- Pioneer, plasma, 43", HDHV-ready with media box, 1024x768, $3000
    > 4- Maxent, plasma, 50", HDTV-ready, 1366x768, $3000
    >
    > As you can see, they are all $3,000. Maxent is 50"

    those are all overpriced. Go to best buy or brandsmart or circuit city.

    "Son of man" <sonofman1@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > "Jon" <aaa@bbb.ccc> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am planning to buy a HDTV in very near future. I look at the Costco
    >> site and found these TVs. Which one is better?
    >>
    >> 1- Philips Ambilight, LCD, 42", HDTV-ready, resolution 1366x768, on sale
    >> for $3000
    >> 2- JVC, plasma, 42", build in HDTV tuner, 1024x768, $3000
    >> 3- Pioneer, plasma, 43", HDHV-ready with media box, 1024x768, $3000
    >> 4- Maxent, plasma, 50", HDTV-ready, 1366x768, $3000
    >>
    >> As you can see, they are all $3,000. Maxent is 50"
    >
    > those are all overpriced. Go to best buy or brandsmart or circuit city.

    These are all flat panel. I did not see any thing less than $3,500 in best
    buy.

    On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 17:42:00 -0500, "Jon" <aaa@bbb.ccc> wrote:

    >"Son of man" <sonofman1@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> "Jon" <aaa@bbb.ccc> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I am planning to buy a HDTV in very near future. I look at the Costco
    >>> site and found these TVs. Which one is better?
    >>>
    >>> 1- Philips Ambilight, LCD, 42", HDTV-ready, resolution 1366x768, on sale
    >>> for $3000
    >>> 2- JVC, plasma, 42", build in HDTV tuner, 1024x768, $3000
    >>> 3- Pioneer, plasma, 43", HDHV-ready with media box, 1024x768, $3000
    >>> 4- Maxent, plasma, 50", HDTV-ready, 1366x768, $3000
    >>>
    >>> As you can see, they are all $3,000. Maxent is 50"
    >>
    >> those are all overpriced. Go to best buy or brandsmart or circuit city.
    >>

    >These are all flat panel. I did not see any thing less than $3,500 in best
    >buy.

    i think the small pioneer is without media box and tuner. i bought the
    50" which is last years model 4340 with media box and tuner. $5000
    less $500 rebate (costco). this is the bomb. i am soooooo happy.

    before i bought i talked with pioneer and asked the dif between elite
    and plasma and the only thing is adjustable color for a pioneer tech.
    They will come out to your house for a price and adj your panel
    settings. He told me to buy the plasma if i did not plan on doing the
    factory set up thing. (maybe too much information sorry)

    I have the avia adjustment dvd and checked out the factory settings
    they were surprizingly on. this really impresses me i had a sony hdtv
    xbr 32" and that puppy was way off with red push, etc.

    I chose to buy at costco because of price, warrantee, and they have
    the best return policy, even for this stuff. even with it being last
    years model, eh, pioneer was still the best.

    oh the phillips they have on special has a coupla problems. no 3-2
    pull down.and can't scale 720p.

    I purchased the Costco Pioneer plasma 4312. Pretty happy with it. Discovery
    HD channel on this model is truly outstanding. Negatives for this TV are
    that black/ dark scenes are not very good. Also it does not include a
    reciever/tuner. You can hook up a PC to it; although I have not done so.

    Lot more on the Pioneer 4312 or 4304 model here,
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=521385&highlight=pioneer+cos
    tco+4304

    The avsforum also has a thread somewhere on the 2005 Pioneers.

    But I think this 43" pioneer model from Costco The PDP-4345HD may be a a
    better deal than the 4312. It just became available from the Costco web site
    in the last month or so. It has a receiver.
    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11042449&whse=BC&topnav=&ca
    t=3314&hierPath=79*3314*

    Somewhere on cnet.com you can find that the best rated plasma tvs are the
    Panasonics and the Pioneers.

    Regarding the 50" Maxent,
    In the avsforum thread, someone got a lesser brand than the Pioneer and
    returned it for the Pioneer. They said the Pioneer kicked butt on the lesser
    brand. Also not all stores show HD on the TVs at the store, so it may be
    hard to compare tvs in the store.
    noone

    On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 01:47:20 GMT, "nonone" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >I purchased the Costco Pioneer plasma 4312. Pretty happy with it. Discovery
    >HD channel on this model is truly outstanding. Negatives for this TV are
    >that black/ dark scenes are not very good. Also it does not include a
    >reciever/tuner. You can hook up a PC to it; although I have not done so.
    >
    >Lot more on the Pioneer 4312 or 4304 model here,
    >http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=521385&highlight=pioneer+cos
    >tco+4304
    >
    >The avsforum also has a thread somewhere on the 2005 Pioneers.
    >
    >But I think this 43" pioneer model from Costco The PDP-4345HD may be a a
    >better deal than the 4312. It just became available from the Costco web site
    >in the last month or so. It has a receiver.
    >http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11042449&whse=BC&topnav=&ca
    >t=3314&hierPath=79*3314*
    >
    >Somewhere on cnet.com you can find that the best rated plasma tvs are the
    >Panasonics and the Pioneers.
    >
    >Regarding the 50" Maxent,
    >In the avsforum thread, someone got a lesser brand than the Pioneer and
    >returned it for the Pioneer. They said the Pioneer kicked butt on the lesser
    >brand. Also not all stores show HD on the TVs at the store, so it may be
    >hard to compare tvs in the store.
    >noone
    >

    >"Jon" <aaa@bbb.ccc> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am planning to buy a HDTV in very near future. I look at the Costco site
    >> and found these TVs. Which one is better?
    >>
    >> 1- Philips Ambilight, LCD, 42", HDTV-ready, resolution 1366x768, on sale
    >for
    >> $3000
    >> 2- JVC, plasma, 42", build in HDTV tuner, 1024x768, $3000
    >> 3- Pioneer, plasma, 43", HDHV-ready with media box, 1024x768, $3000
    >> 4- Maxent, plasma, 50", HDTV-ready, 1366x768, $3000
    >>
    >> As you can see, they are all $3,000. Maxent is 50"
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Jon

    I was wrong about the 50" panel i bought it is the 5040 not 4340 here
    is the link at costco online but you can get it cheaper instore
    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11047885&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=3314&hierPath=79*3314*

HDTV TV Home Theatre