OCing 8800GTS+vista= how to check for artifacts?

gamebro

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
I am a noob to overclocking vid cards I admit it (using rivatuner) and I am trying to overclock my 8800GTS (G92) BFG graphics card. But I came across a problem.....

Many overclocking guides say to use 3Dmark or ATI tools to check for artifacts (to know when you have pushed your GPU to the limit) but these programs do not work with windows vista and DX10 (to my knowledge)?
So what can a windows vista 32bit user like me use (that is free) to check for artifacts?.... Sure I could use games but that takes a lot of time and is not as reliable right?

So basically what I am asking for, is can a brother hook me up? With the good stuff? :D

(warning to the search trolls (which there are many of)- please don't tell me to search. I did that already, and after wasting lots of time, and getting very frustrated I didn't find any good answers--- strong possibility exists that I don't know how to do a proper search) :pt1cable:

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
3D mark 06 works fine with Vista. It doesn't test DX10 features, but it will push your GPU enough to indicate whether or not you'll have a problem. Run it a few consecutive times and watch for any artifacting.

P.S
If you're new to overclocking I'd recommend just trying a very small OC, and use nTune since it's more restrictive than rivaTuner

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
I used the crysis demo and the crysis benchmark, both free. Worked extremely well.

Just use rivatuner. Its the best by far imo just use the guides and coc slowly. Run the crysis bench 2 - 3times with different settings each time and wtach for it to brake or artifact. For me it broke whenever it wasnt stable.

gamebro

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007

I tried 3dmark06 a few days back-- during the install it said it needed to install DX9 files in order to work.... Fearing this would overwrite my DX10 files and really screw up my system, I said no, and so yeah the program didn't work :D Sure I could always re-install DX10, but then again I don't trust windows vista enough to try that yet :sarcastic:

Crysis will have to do for now I guess.... I just hate how long it will all take, so yeah I'll probably do a more mild OC. Looking at the OC's other people get with 8800GTS (G92) cards I definitely want to do this, as I am waaaaaay below them! (not looking to get to 800mhz gpu, but even 750 would be nice!)

TRENDING THREADS