Star Wars Galaxies - RAM - LAG - TIMINGS - Need Help

ZtyX

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
I have been researching a lot the last couple of weeks, but I am getting confused. I decided to come to the best place I know and get some valuable feedback directed directly at me.

I am building a system for a game called Star Wars Galaxies. The game engine is not poorly built and yet it is. The problem is that this game makes everybody lag when entering huge PvP combat with a lot of people. A part of the problem is server side delay/lag, but when playing with high quality details it is also client side. I want to play at 30 FPS even when there are a lot of character models running around and shooting specials, a lot of detailed buildings and/or highly detailed plants with shadows and antialiasing. Or for instance if I am using a vehicle to drive quickly and thus render new details all the time, which is very demanding. That is my goal.

This game is extremely heavy on RAM. Everyone who plays SWG has seen the difference between 1gb ram and 2gb ram. The game will utilize a maximum of 2GB RAM. If a person doesn't have enough RAM the game uses a page file, which is 1.5x the physical memory. Reports say that using the page file makes the game run slower, so it is best to have enough RAM.

I want to get 4GB ram, so that background applications get the necessary memory as well as my game. Especially my game. I do NOT want to lag.

So.. The question is what kind of a difference will I see in this RAM abusive game between the best 4 GB ram and the worst 4 GB of ram?

What are the best RAM I can get for this game so that it runs fluently?

How is OCZ Gold?

Is it good to have 5-5-5-18 or 8-8-8-24 or 4-4-4-12 or something else? I want the best performance for my SWG.

Is it better to run with 2x2GB sticks or 4x1GB sticks for the performance?

Will I benefit from overclocking the RAM?

Please mention some of the bottlenecks I might have even with the best performance ram. What can I do to eliminate them?
- Motherboard, VGA card, CPU??? And what sort of performance decrease will I see from these bottlenecks.

Here is my plan for a setup if it helps you:

Chassis: NZXT Lexa Redline
PSU: OCZ Gamexstream 700W
Motherboard: n750i
CPU: E8400
Ram:
HD: Raptor 76.4GB 10k RPM 16mb cache
Screen: Asus vw222u 22" TFT
VGA: XFX 9800 GTX Black Edition or a 8800 gts 512.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
Speed/timing of ram is mostly unnoticeable under realistic conditions, and shows up only in benchmarks. Same goes for ram ocing. Get 2x2 kit, it's basically the same as 4x1, but saves you 2 slots for possible future upgrades. There shouldn't be any bottlenecks in the normal sense, it's ram. Unless the motherboard don't support the ram, which it does, it'll run fine.

ZtyX

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Thank you, Dagger. I appreciate your reply. It makes me more certain at a time when I am really confused and afraid of making mistakes.

Could you answer another question of mine?
Which one should I choose? What sort of improvements will I see if I take the more expensive card? Anything big?

8800 GTS 512 MB GDDR3 RAM
650 MHZ, 1.94 GHz
Price: 340$

9800 GTX 512 MB GDDR3 SDRAM
760 MHZ, 2.3 GHZ, (Limited edition from XFX)
Price: 552$

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

The 8800 is better value. They both use the g92 chip with the same 128 stream processors enabled and 256bit memory bus. The 9800 perform better (mostly due to higher clock), but not by much. You can realiably overclock stock 8800gts's g92 core to 760mhz. Also, the stock core speed of 9800 is 675mhz.

Both of those quotes are highly overpriced.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127325
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814186035