XP Backup

NikosN

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
I'm looking to upgrade to service pack III,but before I do I want to back up my files, settings and email info. Tried backing up to an extra drive I have using Windows Back up utility. It starts backing up okay, then shuts down as an error message pops up saying there is a 4 Gb limit.

Normally, I backed up to DVD's using MS One Step or whatever they called it. Unfortunately, I uninstalled this Utility and I am trying to back up using the systems Windows XP utility. For some reason, XP won't let me back up to DVD's.

Any suggestions on how I can go about backing up my files using some sort of Back up utility software?

I really don't want to drag and drop onto a DVD because I want to make sure I save email settings and messages. One time I did that ionce and it didn't read correctly and ended up losing all the email related files.

Solution
If your other drive is Fat32, you will not be able to create a backup file greater than 4 gig. Either select a drive formated as NTFS or there should be an option in the backup program to cut the backup files into chunks.
One of the best ways is to make a MOZY account, the first two GB are free. It will backup everything, even daily and automatically. Yes MOZY does back up the email settings and messages.
Or just plug in a thumb drive, drag the files onto the drive.

Norton Ghost.

You make the backup, you store the backup, you re-load from backup. No internet connection required. How's your internet going to work if your computer crashed? When you turn over a backup of your drive to an online storage company... what then? Do you know these people? Do you know how safe their systems are? Will they give your files to Homeland Security (if you are in USA)? Forget all that. What is your recourse with online storage if they do give away your data? YOU make and keep your own backups. Never trust a stranger with your personal data.
What? Me paranoid? Hell no. How many times have you seen where a company has given, we'll call them "Authorities" peoples records and other data? Ever heard of AT&T?
Stay Smart, Stay safe.

The online backup worked for lots of people, and it was free.

Only first 2 gb are free.

I wouldn't trust online storage with an expired party invitation.

If someone needs a place to put a large backup, new hard drives are so cheap now, it's just plain dumb to put a backup of your system in the hands of a stranger. How about this, I have 8TB of HD here, about 3 are still available. I'll set up an FTP for you and you can store your backup here, at my place. Don't worry, I won't peek, I won't share, I won't sell, your data is safe, all my drives are mirrored RAIDs. I'm not even in the USA, I'm in Venezuela. No USA subpoena can touch me, in fact, my country hates the US Government, (but we love the people), so you can feel real secure here. How about it? Trust me?

True, it's called spanning. However,...

If there is no specific reason for leaving a drive as FAT32, it should be converted to NTFS.

From Command Prompt:

Convert <drive letter with colon> /FS:NTFS /NoSecurity /X

For an explanation enter:    Convert /?

This is not a time-consuming process.

No. They will no longer be accessible to Windows 3.1, 95, 98, or ME.

You're in the XP forum, so I'll assume you are running XP. No files will be lost.

The files will be available to Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Win 7.

NikosN

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
Noticed I have an option to back up in sections. Thus, I'm going to try and back up in chunks first. Can't do it right now at Tuesday 7:02 PM EST 7/20/10. Will try later tonight or tomorrow morning. Will let you know it turns out.