Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

XP Backup

Tags:
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
July 19, 2010 8:06:08 PM

I'm looking to upgrade to service pack III,but before I do I want to back up my files, settings and email info. Tried backing up to an extra drive I have using Windows Back up utility. It starts backing up okay, then shuts down as an error message pops up saying there is a 4 Gb limit.

Normally, I backed up to DVD's using MS One Step or whatever they called it. Unfortunately, I uninstalled this Utility and I am trying to back up using the systems Windows XP utility. For some reason, XP won't let me back up to DVD's.

Any suggestions on how I can go about backing up my files using some sort of Back up utility software?

I really don't want to drag and drop onto a DVD because I want to make sure I save email settings and messages. One time I did that ionce and it didn't read correctly and ended up losing all the email related files.

More about : backup

July 19, 2010 11:57:13 PM

One of the best ways is to make a MOZY account, the first two GB are free. It will backup everything, even daily and automatically. Yes MOZY does back up the email settings and messages.
Or just plug in a thumb drive, drag the files onto the drive.
m
0
l
July 20, 2010 2:43:16 AM

NikosN said:
I'm looking to upgrade to service pack III,but before I do I want to back up my files, settings and email info. Tried backing up to an extra drive I have using Windows Back up utility. It starts backing up okay, then shuts down as an error message pops up saying there is a 4 Gb limit.

Normally, I backed up to DVD's using MS One Step or whatever they called it. Unfortunately, I uninstalled this Utility and I am trying to back up using the systems Windows XP utility. For some reason, XP won't let me back up to DVD's.

Any suggestions on how I can go about backing up my files using some sort of Back up utility software?

I really don't want to drag and drop onto a DVD because I want to make sure I save email settings and messages. One time I did that ionce and it didn't read correctly and ended up losing all the email related files.


Norton Ghost.

You make the backup, you store the backup, you re-load from backup. No internet connection required. How's your internet going to work if your computer crashed? When you turn over a backup of your drive to an online storage company... what then? Do you know these people? Do you know how safe their systems are? Will they give your files to Homeland Security (if you are in USA)? Forget all that. What is your recourse with online storage if they do give away your data? YOU make and keep your own backups. Never trust a stranger with your personal data.
What? Me paranoid? Hell no. How many times have you seen where a company has given, we'll call them "Authorities" peoples records and other data? Ever heard of AT&T?
Stay Smart, Stay safe.

m
0
l
Related resources
July 20, 2010 4:33:46 AM

Checked out Norton Ghost. The site indicated it supports Vista and Windows 7. Ghost would have been a great solution had it supported XP.
m
0
l
July 20, 2010 5:04:56 AM

NikosN said:
Checked out Norton Ghost. The site indicated it supports Vista and Windows 7. Ghost would have been a great solution had it supported XP.



You missed something... go here and click the "System Requirements" tab.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/ghost
m
0
l

Best solution

July 20, 2010 4:36:47 PM

If your other drive is Fat32, you will not be able to create a backup file greater than 4 gig. Either select a drive formated as NTFS or there should be an option in the backup program to cut the backup files into chunks.
Share
July 20, 2010 5:16:59 PM

tigsounds said:
Norton Ghost.

You make the backup, you store the backup, you re-load from backup. No internet connection required. How's your internet going to work if your computer crashed? When you turn over a backup of your drive to an online storage company... what then? Do you know these people? Do you know how safe their systems are? Will they give your files to Homeland Security (if you are in USA)? Forget all that. What is your recourse with online storage if they do give away your data? YOU make and keep your own backups. Never trust a stranger with your personal data.
What? Me paranoid? Hell no. How many times have you seen where a company has given, we'll call them "Authorities" peoples records and other data? Ever heard of AT&T?
Stay Smart, Stay safe.


The online backup worked for lots of people, and it was free.
m
0
l
July 20, 2010 5:31:23 PM

soundguruman said:
The online backup worked for lots of people, and it was free.



Only first 2 gb are free.

I wouldn't trust online storage with an expired party invitation.

If someone needs a place to put a large backup, new hard drives are so cheap now, it's just plain dumb to put a backup of your system in the hands of a stranger. How about this, I have 8TB of HD here, about 3 are still available. I'll set up an FTP for you and you can store your backup here, at my place. Don't worry, I won't peek, I won't share, I won't sell, your data is safe, all my drives are mirrored RAIDs. I'm not even in the USA, I'm in Venezuela. No USA subpoena can touch me, in fact, my country hates the US Government, (but we love the people), so you can feel real secure here. How about it? Trust me?
m
0
l
July 20, 2010 5:41:32 PM

hang-the-9 said:
If your other drive is Fat32, you will not be able to create a backup file greater than 4 gig. Either select a drive formated as NTFS or there should be an option in the backup program to cut the backup files into chunks.



True, it's called spanning. However,...

If there is no specific reason for leaving a drive as FAT32, it should be converted to NTFS.

From Command Prompt:

Convert <drive letter with colon> /FS:NTFS /NoSecurity /X

For an explanation enter:    Convert /?

This is not a time-consuming process.
m
0
l
July 20, 2010 5:45:25 PM

If I converted the drive to NTFS would I lose any of the files on that drive?
m
0
l
July 20, 2010 5:57:22 PM

NikosN said:
If I converted the drive to NTFS would I lose any of the files on that drive?


No. They will no longer be accessible to Windows 3.1, 95, 98, or ME.

You're in the XP forum, so I'll assume you are running XP. No files will be lost.

The files will be available to Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Win 7.
m
0
l
July 20, 2010 11:05:03 PM

Noticed I have an option to back up in sections. Thus, I'm going to try and back up in chunks first. Can't do it right now at Tuesday 7:02 PM EST 7/20/10. Will try later tonight or tomorrow morning. Will let you know it turns out.
m
0
l
July 21, 2010 12:35:24 AM

Don't end up with a drive that's weird to use.
Just do the convert, making it a normal NTFS drive.
m
0
l
July 31, 2010 3:17:09 AM

Best answer selected by NikosN.
m
0
l
!