E8400 w/ Maximum Extreme overclocked to 4ghz and temps don't change

zifko55

Distinguished
May 31, 2007
I've been reading a lot about these new 45nm chips and that at lower speeds the sensors stick but I've been trying to find someone out there that has the same setup and compare results. This is my first time trying to overclock a computer and so far it has gone well except I don't trust what my temperatures are showing. I'll try to describe all my settings that I have screen shots for and here's my setup first.

E8400 OEM - EU80570PJ0806M
AS5 thermal paste
Thermaltake Ultra 120 Extreme using with a S-Flex SFF21F 120mm fan
Asus Extreme Maximum motherboard
MSI NX8800GT 512M OC GeForce 8800GT 512MB
2GB OCZ 1333 PC3-10666 ReaperX HPC Enhanced Bandwidth
850W Thermaltake Toughpower PSU
Lian Li PC-P80
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

The screen shot below shows the temperatures I had when using these settings in BIOS:

I had all settings on auto except for these:
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
C1E Support: Disabled
CPU TM Function: Disabled
Vanderpool Technology: Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Disabled

Changed timings to 6-5-5-18 2T and DRAM voltage at 1.84
DDR3 Controller REF Voltage: [DDR3_REF]
DRAM Frequency: [DDR3-1333MHz]

Here's the temps when I'm idle.

If you look at my temps in PC Probe the NB/SB/MB are showing 43-47C and that seems higher then most people that I've seen with these motherboards that are overclocked :??: Normally I see around mid 30's for others if not lower.

Then you look at the CPU which is at 25C in PC Probe, 29C in Real Temp, 39C in Core Temp, and in BIOS it shows 28C. As a noob overclocker I don't know which program to trust and/or if the sensors on my processor is just not giving off the correct readings. I put everything back to normal settings and I'm going to wait on overclocking this until more research and testing is done and I felt writing this up might help.

When I overclocked to 4Ghz I changed the memory back to auto settings and then made these changes:

9x Multiplier
444 FSB
FSB Strap to NB: 400
Ai Clock Twister: [Strong]
Ai Transaction Booster: [Enabled]
.........Boost level: 7

CPU Voltage: 1.275
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.52

This screen shot was also while idle.

My NB/SB/MB tempatures are now better but I don't trust them anyway, this doesn't make any sense. Once again my CPU is at 25C with PC Probe and also shows 39C in Core Temp just like before. In BIOS my CPU was showing at 38C.

I really didn't try and do any tests other then benchmarks with 3dMark06 just to see how the score would change. The highest I got was 14.4k @ 4GHz and the lowest was 13.2k @ 3Ghz which doesn't seem that big of a deal. Until I can trust these tempatures I don't want to guess at what my CPU is running at or NB/SB/MB. Has anyone else experienced no change in tempatures with this setup or have any idea I could try?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
It's important not to confuse CPU temperature (Tcase) with Core temperatures (Tjunction). Use Real Temp to test your Core sensors. If defective, then RMA your 8400. Regardless, the CPU temperature is the only temperature Intel supports. You can calibrate your temperatures by using SpeedFan Beta 4.34 and the Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

Comp :sol:

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
not a bad oc, unfortunately, i find the G0 E6x50 series to overclock just as well, for example, the jmajority fo e6750s can ge to 4ghz and the majority of e6850s can do 4200, my bussiness does about 10 4ghz chips a fortnight, using the e6x50 chips.

so i don't think 45nm is very importnant in that respect, also, there should be a temperature change, abeit minor, and you should make sure you don't get your temps confused.

your motherboard is not clear, is it an asus maximus extreme ?