Sign in with
Your question

Never done a RAID but want to

Last response: in Storage
April 3, 2009 4:48:30 AM

I know what RAID 0 is and what it does, but I've never set one up and I'm not sure I have the right hardware.

I have a brand new ASUS M38A7-T Mobo and Windows XP 64. I know you used to have to have an FDD to install RAID drivers during OS installation right? Is that still true or is there a way around it. I don't have a functional FDD, nor will I be buying one for the purposes of this little excursion.

Can I install the RAID drivers for my mobo off of a flash drive or CD or something else? Am I stuck with the FDD situation? I read somewhere that you can slipstream the drivers into your OS installation disk, but is that wise or recommended?

Haven't modern mobo's found a way around all of this or is this a problem with windows XP?

I have 2 WD 640GB HDD's just waiting to be linked up but I don't know how to go about it. Help please?

More about : raid

April 3, 2009 5:01:31 AM

You need a diskette for Windows XP and lower yes. Just recently i needed to do this, it took me about 3 hours since the (never used but old) floppies were in bad shape. If you can avoid this you sure would do yourself a service. Windows Vista and Windows 7 can just take RAID drives from USB stick and probably also a burned CD-R. So that would definately save you some headache. Also Linux can boot off onboard RAIDs without any special configuration; they have internal drivers and have knowledge about the configuration format several onboard RAID manufacturers use.

But if you really want Windows XP and avoid the diskette, you can also try slipstreaming (i.e. making a custom XP installation cd). If it works it should work great, but the time i tried it, it wouldn't let me find my (hardware) RAID array. So its not without trouble.

So the options you have:
- build a RAID0 and put windows xp on it with a diskette
- build a RAID0 and put windows xp on it with slipstream
- build a RAID0 and put Windows Vista/7 or Linux on it (without diskette)
- do not build a RAID0 and put windows xp on it, and use the second disk as backup instead of building a RAID0. No RAID drivers are required.
April 3, 2009 5:31:10 AM

Crap, thanks man.
a b G Storage
April 3, 2009 5:20:27 PM

This is not exactly what you are trying to do, but might work just the same: link.

One of the solution was suggested by Translucency: slipstreaming the drivers on the XP boot disk.
!