Is a crapware-free PC worth an extra $50?

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Wow, Im suprised its only $50, more like £100.......

All this crap software that comes installed takes about an hour to un-install... Atleast....

Then it takes around an hour to make the recovery CD's / DVD's after its collected data and burnt them and verified them.....

Norton, AOL and all the other crap that comes with it.......

So before you even turn the laptops to the customers it takes nearly 3 hours to set them up.....

I used to do it in my time, in the workshop.....But now I charge the customer to do it.....

This CRAP software should be made illegal as we, the dealers dont make any money from it... only the manufacturers do...

All machines that come with norton, i just delete it..... then I install Kapersky, never had problems with that one, or AVG full edition.....

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
errr, i always do a fresh format when i get a new PC, whether it has crapware or not. and if the CD its self is crammed with it, borrow a friend and use your lic key.

BTW: if it diesnt come with a copy of the OS, dont buy it.

seabreeze

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I build that into my pricing. The last notebook I sold (today, Saturday 29-03-08) took 4.5 hours all up, though much of this is not hands-on, but waiting on DVDs to be created or updates to download and install. First thing I do is make back ups, then remove Norton plus any other rubbish, install manufacturers' patches, Windows updates, then my preferred anti-virus, full scan, finished. That's the concise version. Plenty of restore points along the way.

Usually I sell ASUS notebook with no OS installed, then run an OEM disc which goes with the unit to the customer, but in this case they wanted HP which makes an one-off three set DVD as a back up.

How wants crapware? I don't, and I don't sell units with it on.