luke130

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2008
When i connect my power supply to the motherboard ( it's a pentium 3 one in an old dell pc dimension 4100) I get a squealing sound at first i thought it was the power supply so i tried 2 others and i got a very similar noise from them so i believe it is a problem with the motherboard considering i have disconnected everything else i can't turn the machine on is there anything i can do

liswara

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
If you've replace your PSU with another new one and the system wont boot also, so the major problem could be the mobo, if not the cpu.

liswara

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
Even a single scratch from the pcb that disconnect the electronic route may cause your mobo stop functioning.

Just curious, did all the fans moving when you try to boot your system before?

And...did your mobo produces a long beep sound or squealling sound?
If the long beep sound, it indicates the memory error.
Also, you may try snarfies1 advise, try your psu to other board see if it working or not.

luke130

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2008
o fans move when i power up nothing happens except the noise fro psu i'm pretty sure the noise ain't coming from the mobo cos it changes depending on what psu i plug in and the pc was given to me but i doubt it is the original psu it's a 450w dual fan thing looks much to new to be the original